HWBOT Community Forums

Excavator

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And x265 benchmark

x265 HD BENCHMARK 0.1.4 RESULTS 

Please do NOT compare it with older versions of the benchmark! 
Please copy/paste everything below the line to to report your 
data to http://x265.ru/x265-hd-benchmark/ 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
Results for x265.exe build 1.4+5 
x265 Benchmark: 64-bit 
========================== 

CRF-20 preset-"fast" 
-------------------- 
encoded 1128 frames in 149.98s (7.52 fps), 2266.68 kb/s
encoded 1128 frames in 149.36s (7.55 fps), 2266.68 kb/s
encoded 1128 frames in 150.50s (7.49 fps), 2266.68 kb/s

System Details 
-------------- 
Name			AMD K15
Codename		Carrizo
Specification		AMD Athlon(tm) X4 845 Quad Core Processor      
Core Stepping		CZ-A1
Stock frequency		3800 MHz
Core Speed		3500.4 MHz

Northbridge			AMD ID1576 rev. 00
Southbridge			AMD A88X FCH rev. 2.6

Memory Type			
Memory Size			8132 MBytes

Windows Version			Microsoft Windows NT10.0   (Build 10586) 

Number of processors		1
Number of threads		4
Number of threads	4 (max 4)
L2 cache		2 x 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Instructions sets	MMX (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4A, x86-64, AMD-V, AES, AVX, AVX2, XOP, FMA3, FMA4
Package 		
Package Type		0x3

Temperature 0	33°C (91°F) [0x21] (Mainboard)

but much better than my R15. Seems, at my side its VID and TDP issue. Higher VID, higher temps--> higher TDP than 65W?

Your R15 seems as Kaveri around the 7850K default score (3.7 GHz)

Next week Il be back with benchmarking Excavator again.

@Massman

Just got back from the store binning some g4400 for Pro cup 32M stage, and found one X4 845 there :D

Fastest in AMD 32M 5Ghz before Flanker come back with his better score hahah:

http://hwbot.org/submission/3151415_lucky_n00b_superpi___32m_athlon_x4_845_11min_20sec_358ms

I don't expect much overclockability from this design, IIRC AMD mentioned that CZ's design will sacrifice frequencies to made it more efficient in the lower TDP range. This one has it's turbo rated at 3.8Ghz 1.475V VID, and mine already need 1.5V to pass 105Mhz BCLK (4Ghz-ish), so the default 3.8Ghz could be it's optimal frequency range vs volt vs TDP already.

Expect more test next week, need to write some other articles first ;)

Is that NB frequency correct or does it throttle?

BIOS also noted it as 1.3Ghz on default, with 1.175 VID. Upper range on mine around 1400-1450Mhz is @ 1.35V VddNB, 1475-1500Mhz failed to boot.

According to geekbench 3 memory scores, this NB affects memory performance greatly.

Available through Amazon now as well: http://www.amazon.com/Advance-micro-device-Near-Silent-AD845XACKASBX/dp/B01BF376EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457409738&sr=8-1&keywords=athlon+x4+845

Too bad I'm flying out on the 15th. I guess I'll get one when I'm back.

Nice find!

Shipping directly from Amazon is listed as temporarily out of stock as expected but others look to be able to ship from international (from US) taking about a week.

BIOS also noted it as 1.3Ghz on default, with 1.175 VID. Upper range on mine around 1400-1450Mhz is @ 1.35V VddNB, 1475-1500Mhz failed to boot.

According to geekbench 3 memory scores, this NB affects memory performance greatly.

Silly AMD... can never get the NB right :rolleyes:

Do you have unlocked control over this? Maybe these locked chips will consist of freezing to try to get NB up high.

Silly AMD... can never get the NB right :rolleyes:

Do you have unlocked control over this? Maybe these locked chips will consist of freezing to try to get NB up high.

Both the CPU Multiplier and the NB are hard-locked, the only way you're increasing these is the BCLK, no other way.

I found something strange though, in the BIOS version I tested on, the highest CPU Multiplier available is 35(not the 38x Turbo Multi). Since this would probably meant that the 38x is the Turbo state, I need to put AUTO in the CPU Multiplier, and OC BCLK from here. But larger than 109 Mhz BCLK, My CPU constantly dropped it's multi to 35x in OS, no matter what settings I put on. I even tried putting a pot and dropped the temp to 0C, no difference.

Edited by Lucky_n00b

Both the CPU Multiplier and the NB are hard-locked, the only way you're increasing these is the BCLK, no other way.

I found something strange though, in the BIOS version I tested on, the highest CPU Multiplier available is 35(not the 38x Turbo Multi). Since this would probably meant that the 38x is the Turbo state, I need to put AUTO in the CPU Multiplier, and OC BCLK from here. But larger than 109 Mhz BCLK, My CPU constantly dropped it's multi to 35x in OS, no matter what settings I put on. I even tried putting a pot and dropped the temp to 0C, no difference.

I was keep the turbo at "auto" and after raise the BCLK. Boot into the WIndows and after via TurboV. Did you had IDE mode or AHCI as at mine side?

I was keep the turbo at "auto" and after raise the BCLK. Boot into the WIndows and after via TurboV. Did you had IDE mode or AHCI as at mine side?

I see, I didn't try turboV since my version is not working. This is under AHCI mode, I've managed to boot straight from BIOS at around 114Mhz though, but with 35x multiplier.

On XP IDE, Highest I've boot into OS was 120Mhz, but with lower CPU multi and low memory multi.

http://techreport.com/news/29789/a10-7890k-and-athlon-x4-880k-take-top-spots-in-amd-fm2-lineup

880K will be based on Excavator? Sounds like AMD Pi records are just around the corner if so.

Based on that slide that said 16x PCIe 3.0 lane and 4MB total L2 Cache, it will be steamroller-based. Excavator only have 8x PCIe 3.0 and 2MB L2.

I don't know if I had bad carrizo sample, but if hitting 4-4.1Ghz requires extra volts up to 1.55v, I might understand why AMD didn't make a K-series for Excavator athlons.

This is like a mobile chip made into desktop, which not designed to hit big clocks. Not to mention this is similar 28nm process node as steamroller, further miniaturized by optimizing for density. This most likely hurts the overclockability and clock potential, the efficiency has a big price to pay it seems(not going to stop me from freezing this chip though :P).

Good information, @Lucky_n00b, and congrats on the fastest "5G" AMD 32M :)

It's quite clear that the Excavator is a design for mobile and not for desktop. The overclocking capabilities make me think of the Kabini chips which also have good performance clock-per-clock (even with single channel!) but lack the frequency to be really useful.

http://techreport.com/news/29789/a10-7890k-and-athlon-x4-880k-take-top-spots-in-amd-fm2-lineup

880K will be based on Excavator? Sounds like AMD Pi records are just around the corner if so.

880K is a Godavari (Kaveri Refresh).

Funny fact: this was already announced in September 2015 http://www.techpowerup.com/215881/amd-readies-a10-7890k-a8-7690k-and-athlon-x4-880k-socket-fm2-chips.html. Talk about being late to market (actually haven't seen them yet).

Maybe its logic reason, if I heard Bristol Ridge will be little different core than this FM2+ Excavator....

Just read this (the AMD guide for Family 15h Model 60-6Fh): http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/50742_15h_Models_60h-6Fh_BKDG.pdf

On page 85, I saw that on this models AMD might already given some DDR4-2400 support on its DRAM controllers(DCTs). This would pose a problem though, DDR4 has been evolved quite quickly these days, and DDR4-3000 should be found quite easily.

Would've been a shame if AMD only have DRAM Ratios up to 2400 while its competitions can do 3600+ daily, really hope for the sake of their APUs AMD support higher DDR4 clocks..

I wouldn't be too concerned about that, Alva. Remember that back in the Phenom II days the official specification for the memory frequency was DDR2-1066 and DDR3-1333. DDR3-1600 was already widely available (and not even officially supported by Intel at the time).