HWBOT Community Forums

Skylake IHS Spacer

der8auer

If you benched Skylake on LN2 already, I'm sure you had some kind of cracking issues. We already tried a lot to improve the cracking. Mainly by changing the thermal paste.

However, also the black glue between IHS and CPU PCB seems to help. At least it was much worse for me whenever I removed the black glue.

It's just a guess but I think the space between IHS and PCB has some kind of influence on the cracking behavior. I made some spacers out of stainless steel. The thickness is 0.10 mm and you can stack them e.g. if you want to use 0.30 mm spacer. Just fix them with a little bit of TIM.

This is a pure research project - nothing I'm trying to make money on. I have 50 spacers here and paid 3,75 € per spacer. Would be cool if some guys join in and help me investigate further. I can ship a pack of 5 spacer worldwide for 23 €.

rDtzUow.jpg

ne2TMKQ.jpg

wKWTjC3.jpg

HxGAoaQ.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had a single crack on either of my Skylake chips and both have the black glue on them still... so I totally agree with you here. I imagine the thermal paste is trying to expand as the chip rapidly starts putting out heat. If there isn't room for it, the pressure builds until you get the crack at which point the pressure from the paste trying to expand is greater than the pressure holding down the pot. The crack is literally the sound of the paste exploding. Scratching the die makes sense here as it gives the paste a bit more room to expand.

I'd take you up on a pack but I don't want to remove the black glue on mine lol

Hey Roman, i will test this little thing next week @ cascade.

And i have also some more advanced ideas for milling... :D

I will let you know if i can get some improvement with this.

Because i will not start a mass production of anything like that, i do it only for myself. ;)

skylake_ihsf2jer.jpg

Hey! I had a similar idea but I'm not sure about the correct dimensions. That's why I made the small spacers so we can test to find the correct spacing :)

I will start with the normal 0.35mm deep milling in ihs and can go deeper anytime...

Without glue on cpu i think you don't need more than 0.5mm.

In my opinion, we have to focus more on the backplate then, to get the optimal pressure.

_