HWBOT Community Forums

Skylake IHS Spacer

der8auer

Wow. Have the depths been changed to possibly deal with cracking/contact under the IHS?

Nop,same as stock,can be polished inside if needed but i don't know if height is the real issue for cracking,in fact using what Daniel posted i had no crack in last sessions with no spacers at all . The real challenge is how silver will react to extreme cold .

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nop,same as stock,can be polished inside if needed but i don't know if height is the real issue for cracking,in fact using what Daniel posted i had no crack in last sessions with no spacers at all . The real challenge is how silver will react to extreme cold .

ya after using dancop's method I have been able to bench full pot with no cracks anymore. The big thing for me was I was trying to be cheap and reuse the paste under ihs for a few sessions, now new paste every time and no cracks.

The interesting fact is how the crack/thermal paste degradation occurs.On my backup cpu i get classic crack sometimes,i can quick check a cinebench run with realtemp and see positive temps at -150 pot so i know paste has cracked and shut down platform.

However my best 6700K has different behaviour , no positive temps in realtemp but huge degradation of clocks,can't bench anything over 5900 ,going over will simply freeze.

Also a good tip would be that when u press the lever on the socket i need to seat IHS properly from first try,no matter what. Each time i seated it wrong and did it again without adding paste i had cracks or issues.

[quote name=Alex@ro;443846

Also a good tip would be that when u press the lever on the socket i need to seat IHS properly from first try' date='no matter what. Each time i seated it wrong and did it again without adding paste i had cracks or issues.[/quote]

That's true.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks, for some reason i didnt find that when i google searched.

so it works, just havent found the right procedure/method of doing it effectively.

wonder if this would make a difference,

"The heatspreader (Figure 5) is covered in a nickel (Ni) layer. Nickel will act as a diffusion barrier to prevent any atoms to form an alloy with the copper. Indium also sticks to Nickel but not really well. So to improve the adhesion you have to apply another layer on top – preferably using a noble metal because they provide the best wetting conditions. Examples would be gold (Au), silver (Ag) or palladium (Pd)"

"The DIE is made out of silicon (Si) but you can’t solder directly to silicon. Otherwise indium would diffuse into the silicon which would result in a different doping characteristic or damage the chip over time. So you need another diffusion barrier on top of the CPU. The diffusion barrier is formed out of several layers made out of Titanium (Ti), Nickel (Ni) and Vanadium (V).

On top of the diffusion barrier you need another gold layer as wetting layer for the indium connection."

found here, http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

i might give it a go at some point and see if i can get better results.

anyways, sorry for going slightly off topic.

EDIT:

duhhhhh, if i would have kept scrolling down in that same page they talk about soldering skylake.......man i feel silly now. ANYWAYS

"I sent a soldered 6700K to my friend Splave who is a famous overclocker in the US. Unfortunately the first LN2 test failed. At the moment I’m trying to figure out where exactly the solder preform failed – will keep you updated!"
Edited by Johnd0e

Yea I tried it in cooperation with a professional soldering lab which is specialized for soldering solar cells. But still the result was not good. Considering the amount of money I invested in it, it was totally not worth it haha.

(I wrote the article on overclocking.guide if you didn't notice :D)

• 2 weeks later...
The interesting fact is how the crack/thermal paste degradation occurs.On my backup cpu i get classic crack sometimes,i can quick check a cinebench run with realtemp and see positive temps at -150 pot so i know paste has cracked and shut down platform.

However my best 6700K has different behaviour , no positive temps in realtemp but huge degradation of clocks,can't bench anything over 5900 ,going over will simply freeze.

Also a good tip would be that when u press the lever on the socket i need to seat IHS properly from first try,no matter what. Each time i seated it wrong and did it again without adding paste i had cracks or issues.

ya I just started noticing this the past couple days, makes sense but just didnt realize. 2 nights ago I put ihs down but it was really misaligned so I had to adjust it too much and paste cracked pretty fast.

But last night I put ihs down almost perfectly first shot and not one crack all night, full pot for hours.

Thanks to dancop guide I use the asus cpu tool now which really helps with alignment.

Got my 6100 too almost 6.4ghz hwbot prime but os was a mess, tried stripping win 10 myself but it wasnt right, need more practice.