HWBOT Community Forums

Hello guys, i have a 6600k with a cooler master hyper 212 evo.

My question is the following, what is a safe voltage to set to let your cpu run on 24/7.

I know it mostly deppends what temps you get, at 4.7ghz with a vcore set in bios at 1.330v and after running intel burn test at high setting i get a temp of the highest core of 75 degrees celsius, but the ambient temp is around 18 degrees, so i will expect that it goes i bit higher in the summer, but is the voltage safe to let it run on for 24/7 and are the temps oke

Guest TheMadDutchDude

I wouldn't try to push it much harder in all honesty. 4.8GHz will most likely require a monumental leap in voltage, which isn't worth it. Give it a go, but I can see your 4.7GHz clock being the max.

In general, I stay below 1.45 volts on ambient, but each to his own. I'd advise <1.4v for 24/7 personally. :)

Hello guys, i have a 6600k with a cooler master hyper 212 evo.

My question is the following, what is a safe voltage to set to let your cpu run on 24/7....

The safest voltage for 24/7 usage , is the default one !!!

For people that like to o/c their system and take some risk , up to 1.35 aircooled and 1.45 AIO is considered safe.

I wouldn't try to push it much harder in all honesty. 4.8GHz will most likely require a monumental leap in voltage, which isn't worth it. Give it a go, but I can see your 4.7GHz clock being the max.

In general, I stay below 1.45 volts on ambient, but each to his own. I'd advise <1.4v for 24/7 personally. :)

I,m not trying to go higher, i find 4.7ghz enough and that 100mhz extra with much more vcore is not word it.

just wanted to no if the voltage for 4.7ghz is safe for 24/7 use, not on adeptive but all the time, so below 1.4v is no problem/ thx for your answer.

only did a superpi test at 4.9ghz with 1.4v set in bios

The safest voltage for 24/7 usage , is the default one !!!

For people that like to o/c their system and take some risk , up to 1.35 aircooled and 1.45 AIO is considered safe.

the default voltage on my bord is 1.30v so.

And yesd i like to overclock, depending on what cooler i have, but totally unformelir with skylake, and not having a bord to max the cpu i whant it at a overclock for 24/7 not for benching

• Crew

Why not the best of both worlds... 4500MHz OC and maybe 1.2Vcore ? Lower temps, lower power consumption and still more than plenty power for gaming and co...

I never go above 1.3 for daily usage, no matter the cooling... I prefer a more balanced approach for daily usage

I think, around 1.425-1.45V will be safe if your temps will be in good limit. I mean around 80-85C in hard practice load or up to 90 C in OCCT

With my AiO I can testing with 1.55V hard tests for short time or 1.488V for long time (example gaming, video encoding) :)

the default voltage on my bord is 1.30v so.

And yesd i like to overclock, depending on what cooler i have, but totally unformelir with skylake, and not having a bord to max the cpu i whant it at a overclock for 24/7 not for benching

The default voltage is not programmed into the bios.

Each CPU has their default voltage (known as VID) set during the manufacturing process, as intel bins each cpu. CPU's which require less volts for stock clocks will have lower VID than the ones which require more voltage for the stock clocks. That's why you can have 2 cpus which are indentical and have the same batch and revision number yet they have different default voltage.

The default voltage is not programmed into the bios.

Each CPU has their default voltage (known as VID) set during the manufacturing process, as intel bins each cpu. CPU's which require less volts for stock clocks will have lower VID than the ones which require more voltage for the stock clocks. That's why you can have 2 cpus which are indentical and have the same batch and revision number yet they have different default voltage.

oke so the VID in hwinfo is 1.135 currently i,m running at 4.2ghz with a vcore set in bios of 1.240v so what does the vid means then?

Why not the best of both worlds... 4500MHz OC and maybe 1.2Vcore ? Lower temps, lower power consumption and still more than plenty power for gaming and co...

I never go above 1.3 for daily usage, no matter the cooling... I prefer a more balanced approach for daily usage

4.5ghz at 1.2v? not possible