HWBOT Community Forums

Sign-up here for Northeast (USA) LN2 get-together!

Will you be able to make it to the party?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to make it to the party?

• July 23, 24- Will attend
    • July 23, 24- Maybe attend
    • September 24, 25- Will attend
    • September 24, 25- Maybe attend
    • Either weekend works, prefer July, will attend
    • Either weekend works, prefer July, maybe attend
    • Either weekend works, prefer Sept, will attend
    • Either weekend works, prefer Sept, maybe attend
    • Won't be able to make it

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya folks!!!

We're on! Based on poll results to date and pm's with various folks, we're looking at roughly 25 attendees on July 23rd-24th.

Next steps are to get the venue and ln2 arrangements made. On the venue...Lochekey you still game for helping on that front? aerotracks has also said he'd help so if you guys could coordinate with each other, that'd be great. Figure Witchdoctor and hotrod might also be able to check places as this is in their neighborhood?

Hoping for someplace decent but kinda cheap and think the expandable/sectional room idea is great. If we manage to get more people, we can just add some space. Power and air conditioning (and dehumidification?) are super key. I'm clueless on those fronts so hoping someone can vet that out for us. We'll want to make sure they'll give us a nice discount on rooms and stuff, too. If you guys find 1-2 places that would work for us, I have no problem making the phone calls, trying to work the best deal for us and getting it booked.

Then there's the ln2. Figure 60-75L/person should be plenty. If anyone has a great contact at a local distributor, it'd be great if you could start checking with them for estimates (including gas, delivery, tank rental, price matching, etc). Couple of benchers have reached out to me with pricing around $0.38/L so I'll chase up with them for contacts, account numbers, copies of receipts, etc. Will also speak with the guys I get mine from to see if there's anything they could do with the praxair in the Harrisburg area and start trying to get that locked in.

Next is the loaner pool for people interested in trying ln2 but who don't have equipment. If anyone has extra stuff they could bring, please let me know and we can start keeping a list.

Finally (at least of what I can think of atm) is the matter of vendors and sponsors. A couple guys have said they'll be able to bring some hardware and another has said that once we have a total estimate (venue plus ln2), they will speak with their rep and see how much they might be able to help offset some of the costs. There's been a suggestion that since having sponsors can be a double-edged sword (having to stream video, results, etc) that we're better just doing everything on our own. As I've never had any experience getting an event together (or dealing with sponsors, vendors, etc)...am very open to everyone's thoughts on this topic!

So...that's where we are atm. Again...any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or assistance with any aspect of the event planning or execution would be hugely appreciated!

Getting excited now and look forward to meeting everyone there/then!!!!

-Stefan

SC, are you looking at a day or a whole weekend? People go through a LOT more LN2 at an event than they do on their own. If it's a whole weekend of 10+ hour benching on Saturday, I'd plan on closer to 100-120L per person. When we had 2000L with @moparman, there were probably 15 people there with maybe 7 or 8 benching at any given time. We benched throughout the night on Friday and Saturday and I believe we finished off the last drops on Sunday afternoon. Mopar should be able to confirm. If the per bencher LN2 figure above sounds crazy, keep in mind that you lose a reasonable amount of the LN2 when it comes through the hose on the 180L into a dewar and then you lose again when you pour from dewar to flask. A 180L tank is probably a bit over 130L benchable when considering all of the losses.

Note that my 100-120L figure above is before losses.... so with 25 people benching, you would want to get 2500-3000L. You could get 9 or 10 320L dewars.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind the retail prices on these tanks can be as much as $5k/ea. They may want a massive deposit or a line of credit tied to a business.

Edited by xxbassplayerxx

SC, are you looking at a day or a whole weekend? People go through a LOT more LN2 at an event than they do on their own. If it's a whole weekend of 10+ hour benching on Saturday, I'd plan on closer to 100-120L per person. When we had 2000L with @moparman, there were probably 15 people there with maybe 7 or 8 benching at any given time. We benched throughout the night on Friday and Saturday and I believe we finished off the last drops on Sunday afternoon. Mopar should be able to confirm. If the per bencher LN2 figure above sounds crazy, keep in mind that you lose a reasonable amount of the LN2 when it comes through the hose on the 180L into a dewar and then you lose again when you pour from dewar to flask. A 180L tank is probably a bit over 130L benchable when considering all of the losses.

Note that my 100-120L figure above is before losses.... so with 25 people benching, you would want to get 2500-3000L. You could get 9 or 10 320L dewars.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind the retail prices on these tanks can be as much as $5k/ea. They may want a massive deposit or a line of credit tied to a business.

ya I just finished off my 180L and got just about 130L benching amount. And 2 of my tanks were cold. I think each person could use there own 180L tank. I wish it were a bit closer to NY because I have a great contact. When I order my 180L they charge me about $115 for the product, the rest is delivery and fees. I wonder for that many tanks how far they would be willing to driver. I dont think airgas delivers stuff like that.

Booked our venue yesterday so we are definitely on for that weekend in July! We also have our ln2 supplier arranged. We may also have a sponsor or two willing to participate.

Once we have the formal quote for the ln2, will relay all costs to the fine bencher who has kindly offered to try to get his sponsor(s) behind us. Once we know the full details of their support (if any), we will then be able to figure out total costs and attendee charges.

If any of you have other potential sponsors who might be interested in supporting the event via helping out with the costs, providing stuff for giveaways or anything else, that would be awesome and very much appreciated by all.

Once we know the full story will create a formal sign-up thread. Hoping to have that done by the end of next week (or so).

Getting there!! Stay tuned!!!

Probably obvious, but if you're searching for multiple sponsors, be sure to tell them who else is interested and what they're providing. This can do a few things:

1) Prevent one sponsor from becoming upset when the event isn't only theirs

2) bring legitimacy to the event, and thus more sponsors

3) Drive sponsors to step up what they provide

I hope I can make it...

Booked our venue yesterday so we are definitely on for that weekend in July! We also have our ln2 supplier arranged. We may also have a sponsor or two willing to participate.

Once we have the formal quote for the ln2, will relay all costs to the fine bencher who has kindly offered to try to get his sponsor(s) behind us. Once we know the full details of their support (if any), we will then be able to figure out total costs and attendee charges.

If any of you have other potential sponsors who might be interested in supporting the event via helping out with the costs, providing stuff for giveaways or anything else, that would be awesome and very much appreciated by all.

Once we know the full story will create a formal sign-up thread. Hoping to have that done by the end of next week (or so).

Getting there!! Stay tuned!!!

MY account is tied to my business and I rent 230L IDK if it will help over state lines and they didnt honor my pricing in las vegas (Cost of living/electric etc difference) but If it can help I dont mind using my account.

Probably obvious, but if you're searching for multiple sponsors, be sure to tell them who else is interested and what they're providing. This can do a few things:

1) Prevent one sponsor from becoming upset when the event isn't only theirs

2) bring legitimacy to the event, and thus more sponsors

3) Drive sponsors to step up what they provide

I hope I can make it...

Thank you SOO much Bass!

As I said before, never done this kind of thing before so am learning as we go. Any/all tips, guidance, etc are hugely welcomed dude!

So far there's been 1 person who has offered to get one (or 2?) of their sponsors involved. Have provided him with the quote from the venue but not the ln2 yet. Guessing the best route would be to wait to hear back from him to get their names and what, if anything, they can do for us before speaking with anyone else?

Since we're already on the double-edged sword route, figure the more sponsor involvement the better?

That said...I've got zero sponsor or vendor contacts so am hoping some elites (or others) will reach out to their relationships on our behalf.

Thanks again for the guidance man!

MY account is tied to my business and I rent 230L IDK if it will help over state lines and they didnt honor my pricing in las vegas (Cost of living/electric etc difference) but If it can help I dont mind using my account.

Hola Mister Splave!

Thank you for the kind offer!!! hotrod717 is setting us up with his local ln2 contact/supplier. Decent pricing, no dewar rental fees and no deposit.

Hope you can make the party Splave. It'd be great to meet you!

Bummer that it's too far away for you saturn74. Certainly understand.

This event is open to all whether they've used ln2 or not. It's a chance to hang out, meet people and, if interested, try ln2 for the first time. There will be plenty of folks to help with everything from insulating through to the first cold run.

• 4 weeks later...

confirmed hardware im bringing:

--CPU- 6700k/5960X/6320

--GPU- 980 ti, 980,

--PSU- 1300w/1500w

--other/misc- monitor, mouse, keyboard, CPU pot

Also will bring some extra hardware for other to try if they need something.

Edited by jiccman1965