HWBOT Community Forums

Math turns benchmark: y-cruncher meets HWBOT

Mysticial

Hi ^^

Trying y-cruncher at the moment, congrats for the well integrated Hwbot wrapper !

25M and 1B done, i'm currently running the 10B ... see you the next decade xD

FX-8350 and 16GB, i put the bench on my hdd and enabled the swap mode.

Now, 54% completion for 1h11.

Just a question, y-cruncher use the disk where it is, or it use system disk ? maybe my ssd is getting raped x)

Edit : ok i see the files, it use current hdd, my ssd is safe ^^'

Edited by Taloken

Hi ^^

Trying y-cruncher at the moment, congrats for the well integrated Hwbot wrapper !

25M and 1B done, i'm currently running the 10B ... see you the next decade xD

FX-8350 and 16GB, i put the bench on my hdd and enabled the swap mode.

Now, 54% completion for 1h11.

Just a question, y-cruncher use the disk where it is, or it use system disk ? maybe my ssd is getting raped x)

Are you running 10b in "Ram Only" mode or "Swap Mode"? If you're running it through the submitter, it will be in Ram Only mode and it will thrash the pagefile. If you're running it in Swap Mode directly in y-cruncher, then it will use the default path unless you specify otherwise. (Even though Swap Mode uses the disk, it is much more efficient than the pagefile.)

The default path will be wherever you double-clicked to open the program. So if that's your boot drive with the SSD, then yes it will be "raping" your SSD.

Wearing out an SSD is possible if you're not careful. But this is mainly a problem for the really big runs. (A 100b computation will incur 20+TB of writes if you have no more than 32GB of memory.)

Edited by Mysticial

swap mode, manually via the commande line.

But hell, it doesn't progress for a percent in 20min ... only semi-load iterations of "VST-PM" & Co.

What the point of these phases ?

The computation isn't really linear. It's divided up in to multiple blocks of unequal size. While it's possible to derive the % mark at the top level, it's almost impossible within each block. What you're seeing are the progress indicators deep within the computation algorithm itself.

For the most part, those internal progress indicators are meaningless to anyone who isn't familiar with the algorithms that are used. I used to hide them prior to v0.6.1. But when you're running a really large computation that takes weeks, seeing a static "XX%" indicator for several days straight doesn't provide much in the way of positive reinforcement that the computation is still running. So I ended up turning them on in the public versions even if hardly anyone will be able to decipher its meaning.

The submitter says it can't detect a compatible version of Y-cruncher on all my computers.

How are you running it? It needs to be unzipped and in the same folder as y-cruncher.exe.

(In reality, it actually parses the "Read Me.txt" file to determine the version # of y-cruncher that it's trying to interface with.)

Edited by Mysticial

win 10/server 2012 r2 allowed?

That's probably a question for Massman. I would guess that the answer is yes for now since it's still a beta. So now is the time to identify any exploits with the benchmark.

I actually don't know if y-cruncher is vulnerable to the base clock exploit/cheat. But I would assume yes.

In any case, it would be difficult to reliably enforce a ban on specific operating systems since the validation files do not record the OS information. So if someone is inclined enough, they could run the benchmark in Win8/10 with the base clock exploit/cheat. Then reboot the machine into Win7, fake a screenshot and submit it.

This will be fixed in v0.7.1 as it will record the OS version into the validation file.

With that said, if anyone knows how to implement a high-resolution timer (in C++) that is resistant to the base clock exploit, please let me know.

nice benchmark, nice stress test also, not so nice heat output :(

Everything that heavily uses 256-bit AVX will do that on Haswell. I presume not too many benchmarks use AVX.

Hello, I have a recurring problem, each time I run into Pi-1B or even 89%, I have the right to a message:

Redundancy Check Failed: coefficient is too large.

an idea?

Is this happening even when the hardware is completely stable? That error normally only shows up on hardware instability. The fact that you're seeing it so early (and consistently) suggests something is seriously broken. But nobody else seems to be hitting it...

Did you do unusual tweaks to the OS? I can only think of two possible things, but I'm not sure if they're even possible...

using 1366 here, haswell to new for me :).

that errors i hit this morning on the r3e , overclock wasnt stable.

got a hp ml150 g6 board here with two xeon L5520,,need to test but, 12gb ram only , will it do swap on 2x300gb sas raid? the 10billion test..

Edited by vip3r011

Is this happening even when the hardware is completely stable? That error normally only shows up on hardware instability. The fact that you're seeing it so early (and consistently) suggests something is seriously broken. But nobody else seems to be hitting it...

Did you do unusual tweaks to the OS? I can only think of two possible things, but I'm not sure if they're even possible...

No changes, and even the stock has hardwares that me also displayed.

Pi-25m goes smoothly

but Pi and Pi-1b-10B, its not want to know. every time I have the right to error.

using 1366 here, haswell to new for me :).

that errors i hit this morning on the r3e , overclock wasnt stable.

got a hp ml150 g6 board here with two xeon L5520,,need to test but, 12gb ram only , will it do swap on 2x300gb sas raid? the 10billion test..

Yeah, the program doesn't really care what you're running on. In fact it doesn't even know. All it knows is a path.

If you're interested to see what a "high-end" swap mode configuration looks like, here's my 4770K doing the 10b with only 32GB of memory.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3178862_

No changes, and even the stock has hardwares that me also displayed.

Pi-25m goes smoothly

but Pi and Pi-1b-10B, its not want to know. every time I have the right to error.

I was going to ask for more details of your system. But then I noticed that you did manage to get a 1b score submitted.

What did you change? I'm really curious since it really shouldn't be happening so I'd like to fix it (or at least do something about it) in future versions.

Btw, someone else seems to be hitting the problem as well - which is why I'm concerned.

damm impressive..with swap!

Call me fanatical, but that entire machine is custom-built to run y-cruncher's swap mode. It's sole purpose is actually to test y-cruncher through its development.

It's got 4 versions of Windows, 3 versions of Linux, and absolutely nothing installed other than compilers and overclocking tools.

I was going to ask for more details of your system. But then I noticed that you did manage to get a 1b score submitted.

What did you change? I'm really curious since it really shouldn't be happening so I'd like to fix it (or at least do something about it) in future versions.

Btw, someone else seems to be hitting the problem as well - which is why I'm concerned.

I simply increase my virtual memory is 8192 MB 0 MB

And I can walk in a settings Y-cruncher, option 3.

I joined you the validation file of Pi-1B if cel may help you to understand, that was changing.

By against Y-cruncher, is very hot CPU .... my i7 4790K has 4.5Ghz, above 80 ° C in benchmark .....

Incidentally, his will that everyone sticks the screenshot to their score as many do that put pictures of their config. too bad.

PS: sorry for my english but I translated with Google.

Edited by COMIAS

I'm gonna leave this right here:

2016_4_6.png

HPET detection seems to work on all 4 of the machines that I've tested on. There's an additional hardware timer that I'm interested in testing, but none of my machines are suitable for that. So that'll have to wait.

That's enough for the meantime. Too much programming means that I fall behind on my Anime... :(

p.s. Don't hold your breath for what's in the screenshot. This required a change in y-cruncher itself. And therefore it will need to wait until v0.7.1 is launched. (That will take a while and I definitely will not do it before the beta competition finishes since it will break speed consistency.)