• Poll will be reset
    • Poll will be reset
    • Poll will be reset
    • Poll will be reset

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team ranking shouldnt be affected unless we decide that "inactive" overclockers dont contribute to team points. I didnt think about it, will it make things more dynamic?

As for Team Competitions, I havent thought about it yet.

But looks like something has to be done there as well, next thread :D

Edited by Christian Ney

Guest george.kokovinis
Doesn't one impact the other? Aren't personal stats included in the algorithm for the team points and ranking already?

You know what I smell Scotty ?

There is a saying :

" Don't try to fix it if it ain't broken "

This is my sense.

It has become an obsession to some to revise rankings.

Do we really want something drastic to happen ?

If yes, get the cooling parameter out of the equation

and make leagues even simpler.

Drop ( as my friend Michael - Websmile correctly suggested ) the prizes from competitions for the lower categories and only give lucky draws.

Enough.

Nothing more.

Doesn't one impact the other? Aren't personal stats included in the algorithm for the team points and ranking already?

I don't really understand what you mean :/

There is a saying :

This is my sense.

Drop ( as my friend Michael - Websmile correctly suggested ) the prizes from competitions for the lower categories and only give lucky draws.

Enough.

Nothing more.

As for the Team-Ranking I can only say that it's not working for several teams. Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to get rid of the old team ranking. But we need something to get to focus back to teams.

PC Games Hardware and HardwareLuxx Teams are practically dead. We still have active overclockers doing their own thing but nobody is interested in the pure material-team-battle anymore. So it's definitely not working for us.

Guest george.kokovinis

If someone can come up with an idea that might revive Team Ranking and bring back the focus on Teams and not only personal achievements,

it would be great.

I must note though, that our team ClassicPlatforms, is VERY focused on

the achievements of the team.

We operate like one man, with specific targets and roles for each one and under an excellent Team Management.

Maybe ( my 2 cents here, not being smartas* ), it is up to the management of each team to revive the interest of its members and not

expect that from a more general arrangement ?

I really do not know. Maybe I am wrong.

But in any championship worldwide, revitalizing the team is the job of the management, the coach and the team captain.

The rules of the championship are more or less irrelevant.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by george.kokovinis

I don't really understand what you mean :/

I mean that personal points are used in the algorithm in which team points and ranking are derived from. Meaning, if you mess with the individual points system it has a direct impact on the team points and ranking system also.

• Administrators

Plus, if results are set to zero points automatically after 6 months without submission of the team member, will the Team power points be lost as well, on top of the invidual contribution? This would make the problem even more virulent for current team ranking...

Although it certainly would reward the teams that do a lot of promotion and helping each other and generally manage themselves the best. Currently, teams stacked with inactive members and even entirely inactive teams can maintain their positions atop the rankings just with legacy points from inactive members. Might be an interesting shake up if even members that haven't submitted in, 2 years?, were removed from the team rankings.... OCN would take a large hit for sure, but would certainly make it a more dynamic ranking

Although it certainly would reward the teams that do a lot of promotion and helping each other and generally manage themselves the best. Currently, teams stacked with inactive members and even entirely inactive teams can maintain their positions atop the rankings just with legacy points from inactive members. Might be an interesting shake up if even members that haven't submitted in, 2 years?, were removed from the team rankings.... OCN would take a large hit for sure, but would certainly make it a more dynamic ranking

Not a bad idea at all!

• 11 months later...

There is a saying :

This is my sense.

Enough.

Nothing more.

I agree with this, my reason is when you get new guys or gals on HWBOT they probably aim to get to where they think they want to be, so if the rules keep changing then the targets also have to change, the poor guys who have done well who lose points will be very demoralised and at worse could even leave HWBOT.

We need stability then peoples goals become realistic and achievable.

So I like it as it is.

• 3 months later...

Add Rosewill as a power supply option, for HWBOT submissions.

Quite a few budget builders use, them but there is no option for them at this time.

Any reason why they have yet to be added, are they just manufactured by someone else and slap a Rosewill sticker on them?

• Crew
Add Rosewill as a power supply option, for HWBOT submissions.

Quite a few budget builders use, them but there is no option for them at this time.

Any reason why they have yet to be added, are they just manufactured by someone else and slap a Rosewill sticker on them?

They can be added, though if they don't sponsor their name will not pop up in the submissions.

Competing based on skill level is pointless, because then rather than being #1 out of people registered for less than x months which is at least an achievement of sorts, you get to be #1 out of a group that just so happens to be your level and below.

Honestly the current system works quite well. The only issues I see are that in competitions with cooling or frequency restrictions and expensive prizes for the high places you get people trying to cheat (not surprising really - only benchmarks with built-in temperature detection and clock monitoring are likely to help with that, or just benchmarks that report intermediate progress so you can see when someone's middle GPUPI loops are magically faster...) and that you end up with globals and modern 3D skewed heavily in favour of money over skill. Of course, I suspect any attempt to remedy the latter would be met with a lot of resistance from the people who can afford 7900Xs and titans... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Reading a few pages back I can't really determine if the ideas asked for are only for changing the ranking system because that seems to be the only thing discussed, but if not I have a suggestion.

Seeing that hwbot is one huge database I think more graphs can be made. For example an interactive graph on each hardware ranking page.

For example if you go in to the CB11.5 ranking list for i7-6700K to have a graph that plots all results vs. their respective frequency that was used. And then also in this graph can be a trendline to be used for checking the scaling as the frequency goes up and thus reference your own score and check if your efficiency is good or bad. On the results if you click on a result (not to open the result, just to highlight it) the result will be highlighted on the chart with the trendline still visible and thus you can see if that particular result has good or bad efficiency depending if it's above or below the trendline.

Also by clicking on a highlighted result in the graph to open the corresponding result. So I check the graph and see one particular result has very good efficiency I can then click on that point on the graph, go into the result, and check the screenshot for what memory settings, OS etc. was used to achieve such good efficiency.

Here is an example I created in Excel:

Kj6Ad8k.jpg

I think it would be much more user-friendly to be able to reference results from a graph instead of scrolling through 10 - 20 pages of results in a list format. You can then also use this to add an efficiency rating of sorts to results. This rating can be useful for telling newcomers that their efficiency needs improvement or even to highlight a suspiciously over-efficient result to moderators.

In the example graph I posted above you can see in the 4500 - 4800MHz range there are many results that are way below the trendline and I would imagine those are mostly the scores of newcomers who needs to work on their efficiency