HWBOT Community Forums

Athlon X4 845 | Crossblade Ranger | And so it begins ...

I wonder if it's easier to get high frequency in Windows 7. My chip can only do 120MHz Pifast 1/100 runs or so (usually stuck at 118 MHz).

@The Stilt: I'm quite confident that the super high Vcore is only to get the high BCLK stable. I can run 117x38 at 1.5v with ~ 10c 32M stable, but had it up at 1.7V for my final runs.

It's really hard to tell where the X4 845 would be if unlocked.

The same thing applies on Excavator too, since the DDR3 controllers on Steamroller and Excavator are identical. The only major difference is that on Excavator the PMU SRAM interface is actually working, which makes it possible to train and configure the memory parameters correctly, unlike on Steamroller. Sad stuff :(

The PMU communication should (not sure about public docs) be explained in BKDG, but it is quite a complex procedure. Also with Excavator you need to take into account that it is purely a mobile chip. You need to write the parameters in a right context (i.e with correct MemPS and NBPS targets). It is certainly possible on Excavator, but it is a bunnying nightmare to do.

Not worth doing, IMO. Do what you can from the bios :(

These chips are not any kind of priority for me and I've been working on other stuff instead. Check you EDC reading in recent HWInfo beta versions, could come handy ;)

Thanks for the info!

I wonder if the training is happening properly, actually. @l0ud_sil3nc3 mentioned this already, but on my end I see no actual benefit from dialing in timings from the BIOS. In fact, apart from tCL and tRCD I see no change in performance or stability adjusting any of the other timings. Usually adjusting the timings makes things worse performance wise.

I guess I'm going to pack things up for now and wait for Bristol Ridge to appear.

But seriously, WTF AMD ...

I wonder if it's easier to get high frequency in Windows 7. My chip can only do 120MHz Pifast 1/100 runs or so (usually stuck at 118 MHz).

@The Stilt: I'm quite confident that the super high Vcore is only to get the high BCLK stable. I can run 117x38 at 1.5v with ~ 10c 32M stable, but had it up at 1.7V for my final runs.

It's really hard to tell where the X4 845 would be if unlocked.

Thanks for the info!

I wonder if the training is happening properly, actually. @l0ud_sil3nc3 mentioned this already, but on my end I see no actual benefit from dialing in timings from the BIOS. In fact, apart from tCL and tRCD I see no change in performance or stability adjusting any of the other timings. Usually adjusting the timings makes things worse performance wise.

I guess I'm going to pack things up for now and wait for Bristol Ridge to appear.

But seriously, WTF AMD ...

The training and timings work perfectly on Excavator as long as AGESA receives the correct parameters to use (from the bios). If the timings are not working as expected, I would assume that's because of bios bugs.

The AGESA required by FM2+ Carrizos is are cluster *uck. The same code has to support five different chips at the same time (Trinity, Richland, Kaveri, Godavari, Carrizo)...

AGESA itself of course has different paths for all of these, however they are pretty hard to implement from the bios side. So I would assume that it is more a issue with the bios, rather than with anything else.

The 1.2V voltages are effectively PCI-E & DRAM PHY voltages. Shouldn't matter.

Of course one could put the contacts in good use and ask them to replace the A88X FCH with A85X one ;) You'll lose the FCH USB3s and need to modify the bios for different AHCI roms but that's ok IMO.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just been doing some testing on a Gigabyte F2A88X UP4 and with 2 cores in xp it idles at 38x and with a bit of a stuff around I got 114 bclk running on ambient cooling

Oh and what cb/cbb have you guys been getting?

damned !! maybe it's my xp .... i have try many things but no x38 for me ...

• 1 year later...