HWBOT Community Forums

Intel Customer Support refuse to replace my 5960x

OLDcomer

My motherboard killed my 5960x recently and I sent the processor for warranty replacement to Intel's depot in Netherlands. The TIM was liquid metal and that's why there is some residue and it is hard to read the batch code but it is visible if look from the right angle. Intel Customer Support said that the processor is sanded which is not true.

Here are the photos from Intel and I'll attach mine later:

78bac636c598eef5.JPG

8391f2de6015f638.JPG

3780438cd2b0006a.JPG

b5001adc6b894081.JPG

a8afbbc1cc9a5c3e.JPG

Here is their statement:

-------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr.,

After further inspection the CPU is being rejected as the unit has substantial impact by some means which appear to be sanding marks and is being shipped back to you under DHL XXXXXXXXXX.

Please see attached 5 photos provided by our depot.

For any questions please do not hesitate to contact Intel® Customer Support.

Best regards,

Intel Customer Support

---------------------------------------------------

Anyone else disappointed from Intel Customer Support?

• Administrators

This is a truely bad surprise. I thought they would handle things more generously, they must know that liquid metal on the heatspreader leaves marks and as long as FPO and APO are still readable, I see no reason to reject an rma claim. Disappointing from my point of view, good cooling for a highend product should be in their interest to avoid rmas, and when you use best TIM, they reject the claim, weird

I've never RMA'd a processor till now. This is my first dead CPU. It died after regular restart to update my video card drivers. Very unexpected and sudden death. No extreme overclocking. I have friends who experienced the same problem but their processors were bought from a local retailer and their processors were replaced by the retailer despite the liquid metal marks. I bought mine from ebay.co.uk new in retail box. It was new unopened box from a regular ebay member (not store). That is the reason to send the processor directly to Intel.

Here are my photos taken with 3 different devices (DSLR, mirorless and mobile phone):

ce8598d6e90ba104.jpg

1b415091cb012ec3.jpg

9c550faa2cce9100.JPG

0947ad3d807e8aa4.JPG

So think twice when you are intending to apply liquid metal TIM on your $1700+ CPU. I lost $1000 but it could be worse if that processor was 6950X.

Edited by OLDcomer

liquid metal is very known for voiding the warranty of CPU's especially given you are meant to lap the CPU and Coollaboratory do nothing to hide that fact plus your CPU looks pretty stuffed

So it sucks you didn't get a RMA but you shouldn't be surprised

• Administrators

Intel delivers the new HEDT CPUs without cooling solution, I see no warning advice that you should not use lm for TIM on the package. It is quite easy to read the FPO even on the pictures that were added by oldcomer, and a lapped cpu looks different. So, we usually agree but this time not, Ben. If I pay 1k for a highend cpu I should be allowed to apply the best thermal interface solution retail market offers unless Intel rules this out explicitly. There was no physical damage applied imho, and also no "modding". Might depend on how you see this personally, maybe you are right, maybe I am, but in the end I personally do not approve on the decision made my Intel

I'm not full disagreeing but with liquid metal TIMs what it does to IHS is pretty extreme as it soaks it a few nm and can't be cleaned away without a light lapping but Coollaboratory has said in the past using liquid pro/ultra is likely going to void your warranty

And I fully understand the argument about price but most company's are know to be jerks about RMA's at some point

Well I am not the lawyer of big companies who can easily afford the replacement, but in the case of THIS CPU - Serial Number (which on the picture I posted from WEB starts from 2W...) is totally removed by fault of user and that's the reason it is out of warranty. Any other vendor will remove warranty when SN sticker is destroyed, Intel also has it in their warranty policy rulebook. Sad but true.

i7-5960X-01.jpg

Edited by Xtreme Addict

This was my second RMA attempt and again they refuse to replace the processor with the same excuse. The drama in this case is that actually the motherboard killed the processor. It is a common problem as you can see in this thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59257-5960X-dead-on-Rampage-V-Extreme

If you run a google search you will find at least 5 threads with the same issue on all major forums.

At least the result was different but seems stupid to blame on the mb

If it's the boards fault in Australia at least it's on Asus to replace the cpu but you'd have to be able to prove without a doubt that the board did in fact kill it

Edited by newlife

But he didn't use anything close to a normal TIM and glueing the Ihs on and getting a rma is hit and miss just like when you use a liquid metal product which should be known before you use it

Correct he used a better than normal TIM :) but what does intel care, what are we going to do start using AMD yeah right lol