HWBOT Community Forums

6700k 1.6v+ on air Wtf?

Guest Mommybird

Guest Mommybird

How likely is it to someone over volt a 6700k to 1.6/1.7 on air/aio without frying it and not get any thermal throttling. I'm relative new to overclocking and i thought that it would only be possible on more extreme cooling solutions.

Thanks

I can't speak for a 6700k but a 4770k would max around 1.35-1.45v for a AIO and xtu but single threaded can run 1.6v+ but with sub zero ambient they could push 1.55v with xtu

Could be possible the person was using extreme and just forgot to put it down but link a result and I can give a better idea

And welcome to hwbot may you push hardware to where it has never been before

Guest Mommybird

Thanks folks. I have been around computers for a while but just this summer that i decided to take overclocking as a hobby.

Well I'm just a bit confused and frustrated, but i guess it's part of the trade, But i'm willing to learn.

I was asking cuz the top two ppl on rookie rumble has some impressive results and i want that :D

Cheers

Guest Mommybird

i'll take baby steps! after messing around with my skylake/lga 775. i'll try TEC peltier. learning curve is steep!

I can't speak for a 6700k but a 4770k would max around 1.35-1.45v for a AIO and xtu but single threaded can run 1.6v+ but with sub zero ambient they could push 1.55v with xtu

Could be possible the person was using extreme and just forgot to put it down but link a result and I can give a better idea

And welcome to hwbot may you push hardware to where it has never been before

6700K is less sensitive than Haswell for voltage at air/AIO cooling. For validation is no problem 1.55V. For benchmarks (Cinebenchs, wprime, Geekbench) its possible cool it with 1.5V If you have budget cooler as example Gelid, your limit will be around 1.45V for benchmarks.

For 24/7 up to 1.45V with highend aircooler or solid AIO. With mainstream cooler up to 1.35V for 24/7. AVX stress is really hot :)

Guest Mommybird

Been there, done that. Currently my 6600k is superior to my 6700k at single core geekbench. i have 5000+pints on the i5 at 4.8 and 4800+ on the i7 at 5 ghz. Crappy.