HWBOT Community Forums

Reference RX480 support

elmor

Since there's quite a few people recently that's acquired an eVc for use with RX480 I'll post a short guide here on how to use it.

First off you need to solder the cables to the below points on your card. It's quite accessible and there's no need to even remove the cooler.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4479&stc=1&d=1468319329

Then get the latest eVc v1b5 from here http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=88417

Connect the eVc, start up the software and bench system. If the device is not showing up make sure you've installed the driver and that your cables are connected correctly. Select the RX480 profile and check Enable monitoring. You should now be ready to go :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=4480&stc=1&d=1468319329

If you're having problems with your card hitting the power limit, you can set the Current scale to Half (2). This will trick all readouts to think it's using half the actual power.

Edited by elmor
  • Thanks 1

Since the Fury X uses the same voltage controller would it be possible to use the EVC with RX 480 settings on it?

BTW do you still sell EVCs?

Yes it should work, worst case with minor adjustments. I just need someone to help me try it.

I still have one or two laying around.

Ok, fixed bios here:atiflash rx480 ln2. Run the approperiate .bat file as administrator to flash your card.

ASUSRX480.air

• Increased power limit to 150W (225W with +50%)
  • GPU Voltage adjustment up to 1.4V in GPUTweakII

ASUSRX480.ln2

• Increased power limit to 150W (225W with +50%)
  • Current and power reporting is half so power limit is actually up to 450W
  • GPU Voltage adjustment up to 2.0V in GPUTweakII
  • Fixed clock frequency at all times
  • Fixed at PCIE 3.0 at all times
  • Thermal reporting disabled (cold slow fix), be very careful and make sure you have good cooling for the GPU since there's no over temperature protection any more.

On the card I tested I had coldbug at -155*C, but it works fine above that even cold boot. It's a bit similar to GTX1080 when it comes to voltage and doesn't seem to like much more than 1.3-1.4V. I could run higher but it didn't gain me any frequency. For example I don't get display output if I try to POST with above 1.3V. The biggest obstacle is however the Crimson driver which saves your clock frequency each time you set it (even from GPUTweakII) which means you'll be booting with high frequencies. I could go into the OS with 1.3V set using eVc at 1700MHz core which helped a lot when benching this card. Similarly as with POST I would lose the display output if I tried to enter the os with above 1.3V.

memory (frequency) up, memory up :)

It's just a test on ln2 to check issues etc. I'll leave the proper scores to you guys.

1.5V ! And I was already scared when I put 1.2V for GPU-PI on it. Awesome work!

Thanks man.

Edited by elmor

Thank you Elmor ! :celebration:

LN2 BIOS working great , no more dreaded cold slow ... finally :) , only for some reason cant figure out wheres voltage control in GPU Tweak II (maybe its hidden , checked unofficial overclocking box didnt help ) such option missing , but no big deal with eVc board of course :)

Thank you very very much !

Thank you Elmor ! :celebration:

LN2 BIOS working great , no more dreaded cold slow ... finally :) , only for some reason cant figure out wheres voltage control in GPU Tweak II (maybe its hidden , checked unofficial overclocking box didnt help ) such option missing , but no big deal with eVc board of course :)

Thank you very very much !

Should be available in latest version with RX480 support ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download GPUTweak II

BTW, if you're running this card on LN2 I recommend you to short this inductor with something thick or it might be damaged due to the excessive current.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4502&stc=1&d=1468819384

BTW, if you're running this card on LN2 I recommend you to short this inductor with something thick or it might be damaged due to the excessive current.

On the recent video of der8auer he also shorted two pads on the backside of the PCB to merge the 12V lanes of the 6 pin and the PCIe slot. (could somebody draw that up / confirm what exactly it does / what impact it has on the power draw from the PCIe slot?)

And also I think when doing that one should probably also revert the increased gain of phases 1+2+3 such that all 6 phases have equal load again.

On the recent video of der8auer he also shorted two pads on the backside of the PCB to merge the 12V lanes of the 6 pin and the PCIe slot. (could somebody draw that up / confirm what exactly it does / what impact it has on the power draw from the PCIe slot?)

And also I think when doing that one should probably also revert the increased gain of phases 1+2+3 such that all 6 phases have equal load again.

This is an input choke which filters ripple and noise before it's used as a source for the VRMs. The balance won't be changed by this, but the 12V input will be slightly less clean.

Yes, I meant this:

Ah, my bad.

I personally would not recommend this as you'll have a small potential difference between the two 12V sources. This will cause unwanted current to flow between the two to try to even out this difference. They might be from the same rail on the PSU originally but because it's routed through the MB it'll be slightly different.

I only recommend bypassing the input filter on the +12V from the PCIE power connector.

Im currently running an rx480 with the air bios with a modified gelid icy vision cooler. I'm currently able to maintain a maximum frequency of 1415-1425 without power throttling. The temps stay at 62c on core and 85c on vrms. Any higher than 1.3v and the card throttles I assume because of power limits. Is there a way to get an air bios with a slightly higher limit? Thanks for your hard work guys.

Im currently running an rx480 with the air bios with a modified gelid icy vision cooler. I'm currently able to maintain a maximum frequency of 1415-1425 without power throttling. The temps stay at 62c on core and 85c on vrms. Any higher than 1.3v and the card throttles I assume because of power limits. Is there a way to get an air bios with a slightly higher limit? Thanks for your hard work guys.

It's maxed out from the BIOS side, what you can do is to to set "Output current scaling" to 0.5x using VRMTool from here http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=159288. This is however only recommended for quick benching sessions and not for prolonged use.

• 2 months later...