HWBOT Community Forums

Div III round 3 stage 4

skulstation

• Administrators

We thought you need something to complain, so we ruled it this way :)

In fact, the rx480 is second tier vga, only the upcoming 490 will be faster at new archtecture, so it fits the division two and not three. Ask AMD to make their cards faster, maybe they listen to you ^^

• Administrators

The simple truth is that AMD has no card which can compete with 1070 at all - even their flagship cannot beat second tier nvidia card, like their fx cpus cannot even beat old gen Intel K cpus. On performance, the 480 is around same as 970. Don´t think we have to make up for AMDs constant failing and being 2 gens behind NV now

• Administrators

I explain to you what you obviously do not want to understand - RX480 is second tier card by amd like 970 and 1070 at nv - we make no exception from rules because amd is slow - I hope now even you understand this :) - shouldn´t be that difficult

P.S. Fyi, normally we should have ruled out 380 and 280 models as well, we made an exception like on AMD only stage to promote AMD at least a bit and support owners of these cards. It is sad to see that AMD fails at new gen again, but we can´t change the fact that their 14nm launch is not fast enough to compete with natural direct opponent 1070

Edited by websmile

The competition has been announced now, and it is what it is, there's no point quibbling about it as it wouldn't be fair on people who may have already bought hardware to change the rules retroactively· I don't think the AMD-bashing is really necessary though.

• Administrators

This is no bashing, the 480 is no bad card for the money, but it is a fact we cannot change that it is second highest model of RX4x0 series AMD releases and it is only as fast as third tier 1060 or older 970. I would prefer it to be different to avoid useless discussions, but cannot change it.

Funny fact, every time we try to improve something after input from community (first round bc all divisions were dominated by 980ti, second round because we had other model that only allowed explicitly listed cards and was not flexible especially with older models we had complains and requests fr changes) it ends up with three times as much time to spend by me and other staff members than before and lots of complains.

Don´t think we have to make up for AMDs constant failing and being 2 gens behind NV now

This is the sort of thing that sounds like AMD-bashing.

If the way tiers are decided has led to an AMD card slower and (in terms of MSRP) cheaper than the fastest Nvidia card allowed being disqualified then I hope it's not controversial to say that's clear evidence that there's a problem with the way tiers are decided, but this thread clearly isn't the right place for that discussion. As far as the current competition goes at least there's no need to be indecisive about what graphics card to use, other than which model of 1060 :P

• Administrators

Tell this AMD, the pattern that 290/390 and now 49ß are flagships of their releases and 280/380 and 480 are second tier was not decided by hwbot.

The fact that amds fastest vga is almost 50% slower than Nvidias was not decided by hwbot as well btw.

Discussion closed

Edited by websmile

• 3 weeks later...