HWBOT Community Forums

Age Range of extreme overclockers

GreekPhantom

Hello HWBOT forum and fellow overclockers. Recently i had a discussion with a friend about overclocking and to whom it really appeals. As i have seen many of you in other places except the hwbot forum, i would like to see the age range of overclocking. I also would like to know the reasons you keep (extreme) overclocking and what gives you motivation. All this because i am just a 15 year old, trying to climb the rankings, and maybe continue overclocking as an job, so yeah, suggestions and thoughts are always thankful.

Greekphantom

If you are looking to do overclocking as a job you might find it easier to become president. Anyway, I'm 32 and I love the competition. Pushing to do great scores. I like the current gen hardware, so there is always something new coming out to keep you interested.

If you are looking to do overclocking as a job you might find it easier to become president. Anyway, I'm 32 and I love the competition. Pushing to do great scores. I like the current gen hardware, so there is always something new coming out to keep you interested.

That's why I am studying political science :)

Interesting question :D

I'm now 30, I've been overclocking since junior high back in 2000-ish, doing mainly competitive oc since 2006-2007, and got a job offer a couple years later as an overclocker for Indonesian hardware site(JagatReview.com), doing hardware review but more specifically from overclocking+performance side.

I started overclocking just to see how a certain piece of technology being pushed to its absolute limit. Since I love learning about technology, especially from performance point of view, doing extreme overclocking(even if it seems pointless to some) give me a different perspective how to see things, and pushed me to learn a lot different things.

Aside from that, the best part of extreme overclocking for me is meeting new friends from all over the world who just as weird as I do(sorry for the expression but I can't choose the right words for this one haha^^), pushing tech to the extreme even though most people think that PC's nowadays are too fast already.

About 'overclocking as a job' though, IMHO it wouldn't be easy since the competitions are really tough, and I don't think many hardware vendors/companies prioritized in searching for 'overclockers' anymore, so I guess your skillset as overclocker must give a specific benefit to whoever it is who's hiring you. That said, I can't really give any suggestion about 'how to be hired by a hardware vendor', that's still a far reach for normal human like me hahah^^.

That's why I am studying political science :)

You'd be first president in Poland with proper education :) but let's not take over the thread.

@OP - take it easy, and play with OC as much as you can, if you have it as job/life, it might no longer be as entertaining as it is now :) better get a high paid job, so that you have a load of $$$ to burn

I'm 23, and still haven't finished uni - failed the electromagnetics and AC bits of electrical engineering after two years so I changed to computer science which I'll shortly be starting my third and (hopefully) final year of.

I've collected old computer hardware, especially graphics cards, for a while already and for years I've also been a cooling enthusiast obsessed with making my system as quiet as possible even when I was running 3-way 4870s or later 6950s just to use my system as a space heater so when I came across buildzoid's streams competitive overclocking became the logical next step for me.

What motivates me is really a feeling of achievement. Whether it's improving a score, collecting hwbot cups or improving my ranking (not gonna pretend I don't hope to hit #1 novice league at some point in the next few months, unless I end up jumping to apprentice first), overclocking is full if things you can achieve and in my experience if you can get your hands on a good amount of cheap, old hardware to play with the reward is pretty much proportional to the amount of time and effort you put in which for me is really motivating.

As brilliant as it would be to end up working with/for a hardware manufacturer and effectively having overclocking or an aspect of it as part of my job, I'm careful not to kid myself that it's likely. I'm hoping to end up working as a programmer of some sort and avoid web dev if I'm lucky, ideally something involving microcontrollers if I'm really lucky.

I'm 25, 26 in a few days.

I've been overclocking for almost 10 years now. But only recently found out about hwbot. How could I be so blind huh!? :D

Have been benchmarking for the better part of 7 years. But never knew there was a community around it. Glad I found out about it. Better late than never I guess!

Looks like you need some LN2 or cascade in your life ;) I see that apprentice badge

well i have actually benched with cascade but then it didnt go as low as i wanted and as it could (it reached -60 but easily can reach -90) and then i turned on the ss so i benched with the ss and with dice. Now ln2 probably around xmas

28 here, got into hardware/OC back in my sophmore year of high school. Been into computers since I was really little. First home PC was IBM Aptiva followed by a Gateway. First hardware I built on was socket 478 (P4P800 SE and 2.4C Northwood). High school was the only time I really benched. After then, had time but no money. Now I have money but no time.

Throughout always hoarded and tested hardware but never really XOC. Currently consider myself more of a fan than a particpant.

Like the old guy who always tries to hop into the pickup basketball game but it just never really works out :D

Like some said, try to get a job if you want to progress... I'm 19 years old right now and have lot of hardware for the age I have (Two 1151 CPUs, GTX 1080, two 1151 motherboards, CPU and GPU pots), used DICE being 17 years old and also been 3rd at a Gigabyte Contest here at HWBOT still being 17 years old... Possibly using LN2 in some months at 19 years old :D

If you really want it, work hard for your dreams, and you will reach them like I'm doing right now. I started at HWBOT at your age, 15 years old, and now I growed a lot without even beeing 20 years old, so keep working for what you want and you will be a great overclocker, good luck mate :D

youre never too young nor too old too do or learn anything as long as the body and mind are willing, im 60 this yr, was never on the net until i was 54, only been overclocking just over 2 yrs now, ive had fantastic support from my team and 1 person in particular thats taught me heaps , one of the best clockers there is, on any platform and any form of cooling... macsbeach98... im just lucky we live not too far from each other and have become good mates with it, wishing you all the best in your quests !!!!