HWBOT Community Forums

Age Range of extreme overclockers

GreekPhantom

Guest barbonenet

38, i'm on computer since i was 6! I've started overclocking in 2000 first with water, then SS and after in 2013 LN2....

Sent from my UMI_SUPER using Tapatalk

I'm 34. Started overclocking about 3 years earlier. Hadn't really cared about pc's that before but it became true love quickly. Started with 775 followed some newer and newer Intel platform. As I was able to see more and more from this world I want to go with the top oc-ers. I saw just the ammount of points. That was such a big mistake. Money and some other things is limiting badly. Than I had a pause. That was my turning point. I realize how much architecture, platform exists and I didn't know even one of them. That was the beginning of my story with overclocking I think. Started to buy newer and newer old (and cheap. :DDD ) hardvare. Had so much nice moments, so much freed and happy benching. :) And maybe I can say that I have some ddr1, lot of Amd platform, ddr2, older Intels experience for now. Less extreme, more Alpi ! :D

23 here, found hwbot in 2010, in my late 16s. :P I already knew bot but never did something extreme (cascade) till 2014 and then I didn't bother uploading the pathetic result hehe. It was a pentium4 630 if I remember correctly. Now I' m far better at it with lots of reading, testing and learning new stuff everyday while working full time in hwbox.gr as a senior editor. The coming years will be awesome so fingers crossed for the future. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
23 here, found hwbot in 2010, in my late 16s. :P I already knew bot but never did something extreme (cascade) till 2014 and then I didn't bother uploading the pathetic result hehe. It was a pentium4 630 if I remember correctly. Now I' m far better at it with lots of reading, testing and learning new stuff everyday while working full time in hwbox.gr as a senior editor. The coming years will be awesome so fingers crossed for the future. :)

Hehehe then you met me and your oc career went horribly wrong <3

I'm alot younger than you might think, when looking at the hardware I bench :D Started messing with computers when I was 15, found hwbot about two years ago first time LN2 was ROG camp 2016, first time LN2 on my own 2 Weeks ago with a 8GHz score first try :D

20 now and owner of a cascade, a single stage and some 2000 775 CPUs gone through my hands in the last two months alone...

• 5 months later...

I couldn't do overclocking as a job, it would do my sweed in after a few days. I personally like to get the most performance for the least amount of dollar with everything which is how I discovered overclocking.

Being a highly ranked overclocker proves in a round about way that you can build a computer that is faster than everyone elses because you know how to get the best out of the hardware. A typical PC at stock settings is garbage, a mediocre PC well set up can become better than the sum of it's parts.

I've stepped my game up a bit lately because I was getting flamed on YouTube for slating the Ryzen 7 when it came out (I wasn't impressed with mine), so I've bought a load of hardware to test and make sure I wasn't wrong.

You could become a pro hardware reviewer but then you will have to be familiar with current games and be able to look at things from the points of veiw of a variety of people. Ryzen for example performs pretty well out of the box but if you put it against a properly overclock FX CPU for me AMD's progress is less than impressive over the past half a decade mainly because the Ryzen doesn't gain that much overclocked due to the limited head room. Most reviewers don't know how to overclock properly so the results show the lesser Ryzen CPU's in a better light. They also have a habit of not running game tests in the most demanding scenarios, Fallout 4 for instance needs to be played around the Financial District of Boston to really hammer the frame rates down and test for smoothness. Memory and north bridge settings make a masive difference to gameplay so overclocking skills have real world use.

My favourite benchmark at the minute is UserBench as it takes into account background resources meaning that optimising the OS isn't too important, plus the results really do seem to translate well into what you can expect in real world use, in gaming anyway. Also it doesn't take half an hour to run like PCmark and the results page is more modern and detailed.