HWBOT Community Forums

How to fix the rankings :)

I dont agree with this... You say, it will bring less cost for getting global score, but thats not true, if there will be 5 categories, what you think will happen ? Again, todays leaders will be next days leaders - they will bench not one card for 170 PTS on LN2, but they will buy (get) 5 cards for 170 PTS...

Today i know, if i want cool global score, it will cost me: i3 6320 + 6700K + 6950X + Titan = 5 000 USD. (whitch is usefull - gaming rig, work station and funny station :D )

With your "future" setup, it will brings another 5000 for GPU¨s...

It will bring nothing, only another HW whitch i have to buy --> thats what iam making for HW points - compete with old low cost HW.

But that "divided" system will tell me: Buy that 5 cards, even if you really dont want it, just because you need points --> and 5 binned cards (whitch you really dont want for use) will cost extra money for what ? 5 benchmarks and than place it on ebay ??

No thanks... if i will be able to get money for titan X, it will be cheaper and mutch more usefull than this waste of money :)

(but you know,if it will be necesary, doesnt care will handle it) --> than you can told me what was more fair..)

Edited by PKBO

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it's stupid. I would say remove all WR points, CPU and GPU alike. It's too much about free win by emptying your pockets, or benching on hw borrowed from your work. But WR points are only accessible to like 1% of the users anyway. So I guess most don't see them as a problem that affects them.

I believe there has to be a separation between hobbyists comepeting for points at a fair level and persons/vendors persuing the highest performance at any cost. An analogy would be folk race vs F1. Of course it's not viable for anyone to compete with multi-core server CPUs or the best extreme edition CPU out of thousands. To me those results are still the most interesting because they are a technology showcase, how far we've come in terms of computing power.

Separation was attempted with the leagues but apparently some feel it's not enough. From my end I would be fine with removing WR points. The main reason I don't disable points is because the scores don't show up on the front page etc if I do.

To re-iterate a point, though... i'm sometimes surprised that people aren't mad about mental Xeon setups taking most of the WR points.... are people ok with it because they already have a path to avoid going up against them??

If it wouldn't be multi-CPU Xeon rigs at the top it'd be super binned 6950X's. Easier for MB vendors and their peers to compete but not really for anyone else.

Edited by elmor