HWBOT Community Forums

Sandy Bridge 2500K/2600K Batch and Serial Numbers

Massman

Updated! List is starting to grow nicely :)

spot a trend between "numbers" and overclockability (if there is some, of course) you should be looking at the highlighted numbers from the ATPO, at least with cedarmills they tell a lot more than the last 4 digits you're asking people here...

from what I found locally, "043" means the actual date of silicon production (for example E8600 with "823" are good no matter the batch)

Where can you find that serial number on a tray CPU?

w00t 2 more comming to day, cant be worse then what I have

L040B705 *0233

Max cpuz = 5215

L045B005 *1138

Max cpuz = 5175

Heh, you must have the worst luck imaginable. :D

Are you guys booting at max freq. on the Asus boards with your 5ghz+ chips or changing in OS with something?

I've been booting max freq.

Reporting two new chips tested on air:

L045A912 #0490: Doesn't boot over 1.5vcore, 50x multi barely stable to boot into windows so 5005mhz max freq.

Wasn't stable and doesn't work with more volts or less volts. 51x, 52x, and 53x nope. :(

Booted at 4c8t and 4c4t no difference both unstable.

L046B106 #2331

Max multi bootable: 52x Max bclk: 100.5 Max MHZ: 5227 at 1.62v, not lower vcore or doesn't boot. Stableish on air, not Wprime stable though. 4c8t.

Thanks for the input guys!

Are you guys booting at max freq. on the Asus boards with your 5ghz+ chips or changing in OS with something?

I've been booting max freq.

Binning Sandy Bridge is extremely easy.

- use HS fan with easy mounting

- set Vcore to 1.55V

- disable HT and 2 cores (to not make it overheat with crappy HSF)

- increase multiplier

You just need to see the windows OS options, not actually boot into windows. If your CPU can show the different OS options, stability will just be function of Vcore and temperature. If it doesn't show the OS options, you will never get it stable anyways, so you might as well ditch the CPU.

Usually, it takes about 5 minutes to see if the CPU is good or not.

With some CPUs, you do have the issue that some multiplier is better than the other for stability. For instance, my current CPU can boot at 51x MAX (~ 5145MHz). When trying to run near this max speed, I have to use 49x instead of 50x multiplier because it's a lot more stable.

But, that's something you don't need to test. With BCLK adjustments, you'll never get 5200MHz going or so. Multiplier binning is the best way.

- set Vcore to 1.55V

- increase multiplier

You just need to see the windows OS options, not actually boot into windows. If your CPU can show the different OS options, stability will just be function of Vcore and temperature. If it doesn't show the OS options, you will never get it stable anyways, so you might as well ditch the CPU.

With some CPUs, you do have the issue that some multiplier is better than the other for stability. For instance, my current CPU can boot at 51x MAX (~ 5145MHz). When trying to run near this max speed, I have to use 49x instead of 50x multiplier because it's a lot more stable.

But, that's something you don't need to test. With BCLK adjustments, you'll never get 5200MHz going or so. Multiplier binning is the best way.

Gotcha. That doesn't apply to the Asus boards when you OC with turbo multi though does it? For example most of my chips can get to the windows load screen at 55x+ turbo multi but they can't actually get past the windows loading page into the desktop. Testing on SS now and tested high volts, doesn't help me get higher and none of these chips is going to actually finish booting 55x+.

- set Vcore to 1.55V

- increase multiplier

thanks for this hint.

im sure many people try to boot the chip, which is difficult due to bad heatspreader and the so caused high temperature raise during boot.

2600K - L051A863 #0108

max multiplier: 55x

just possible under cold due to massive heat under load:

51x100 @1,50v - air - boot ok - win 7 - ssd (60 degree celsius boot temp)

51x100 @1,50v - air - no boot - win xp -hdd (70 degree celsius boot temp)

51x100 @1,51v - air - boot ok - win xp -hdd (75 degree celsius boot temp)

52x100 @any voltage - air - no boot

55x100 @1,57v - ln2 - boot ok - win xp -hdd + win7 -ssd

totally benchstable:

wprime 1024: http://hwbot.org/community/submission/2124921_oanvoanc_wprime_1024m_core_i7_2600k_2min_19sec_281ms

3dmark06: http://www.overclockers.at/benchmarks/3dmark-2006-highscores_214357?postid=3143512#post3143512

Edited by oanvoanc

Better late than never I suppose. Retail 2600K, Batch # L042A969 on an ASRock P67 Extreme 6

LinX stable @ 4.6 GHz / 1.256Vcore loaded

...................4.8 GHz / 1.344Vcore loaded

CPUZ @ 5519

SP1M @ 5519 - 6.771s

WP32M @ 5447 - 4.679s

Vantage @ 5418

3DMark06 @ 5418

It also ran 01 & 03 there. 01 result was disappointing of course because Gigabyte seems to have the market on those results.

Vcore for all of that was around 1.6'ish loaded. It was 1.584 idle but LLC was on full, so it boosted a hair under load. Cooling was this classy looking water loop (board & RAM changed for the results above):

[ATTACH]914[/ATTACH]

That was one evening of benching. Couldn't get it to boot at 56x. Yet. Rest assured I'll try when time allows. Haven't even tried BCLK adjustments yet. Lots of toying around to be had, but this should be enough for another batch data point. :)

Edited by hokiealumnus