HWBOT Community Forums

Challenger divisions Time spy

websmile

• Administrators

This is a heads up for all participants at the Time spy stages of all challenger divisions.

Please note that LOD is not allowed and that according to the time spy rules by Hwbot and Futuremark only results with verification links or screenshot which show result as "valid" will be accepted.

Please check the rules again and re bench if needed, I have no choice but to remove/block all results without link or link shown as not valid by any reason after the competition

Edited by websmile

• Administrators

Time spy is synchronized with FM and HOF, the rules are online from the start and will get an update but the general points are clear already. We had long discussions about LOD at older 3Ds because a lot of guys disapprove the use, but on these we have our own rules at hwbot verification which will stay, but for time spy, because it is a new benchmark, the rules are same for HOF and for hwbot

Time spy is synchronized with FM and HOF, the rules are online from the start and will get an update but the general points are clear already. We had long discussions about LOD at older 3Ds because a lot of guys disapprove the use, but on these we have our own rules at hwbot verification which will stay, but for time spy, because it is a new benchmark, the rules are same for HOF and for hwbot

= sponsored benchmark :P

• Administrators

In fact Futuremark sponsors 3d marks for a lot of guys by giving out free keys on hwbot ^^ - I don´t think that the whole bunch of people who disagree with the use of LOD changing here at hwbot are all sponsored by FM btw, we cannot always ignore the concerns and arguments of this group

• Administrators

I made a raw precheck which cost me several hours of my life... I blocked an estimated 60-100 results and will not check again before the end of the competition, I did not even check 100% of all results so please xheck the lower results yourself at some divisions.

• Administrators

The rules will get an update next days, but the fact is well known that FM strongly disapproves on the use of LOD, they also excluded all results from HOF with this used, other than hwbot. The phrase Result must be Valid by 3DMark regulations stated at the rules already is quite clear, nontheless I agree that we should name LOD explicitly at the update now. Rules have to be kept generalized, but on a important point like this we might include it as example

So why the sudden change to the rules, especially with such little time left? I was under the impression that rules weren't going to be changed in the middle of a stage once it started?

All the other 3DMark benches are allowed to have LOD tweaking, and when Future mark did the changes for Hall of Fame we were assured by the HWBot staff that such a tweak would still be allowed for submissions here on the 'bot. Is there going to suddenly be a change out of nowhere that affects all the other benches too?

• Administrators

There is no change at all to the rules - time spy was clearly announced from the start to be validated by Futuremark, the current rules are unchanged from the first introduction of time spy. There was even a big discussion about this here at forums. People simply did not read the rules correctly, nothing changed for time spy. For all older FM benchmarks, Hwbot keeps the rules the way they were. Time spy is brand new, planned to be bulletproof for all platforms with 8 and 10 for example by validation and also cheat-proof. Time moves on, we have to make things more simple especially with rtc bug, vendors start to skip win7 support already (skylake) and we cannot live in the past when new benchmarks come

Edited by websmile

People are also going to assume that since it's a benchmark by the same company, and that it's part of the same package as Firestrike and the rest that the rules will remain the same, doubly so if it isn't expressedly mentioned in the bench rules as well as stage rules.

If it isn't mentioned, people will assume the status quo from before will remain.

• Administrators

The first sentence at the rules at the moment is that the result must be valid by 3Dmark regulations, the benchmark itself states a warning after the run if the benchmark is not validated, it also shows invalid clearly if settings are not approved.

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=159335

Here is the announcement of time spy at hwbot, which also clearly states, without leaving any question unanswered, that the result must be validated at the 3DMark website. We cannot make the rules for one benchmark 5 pages long (exaggerated example for that we might have to write a book to rule out all not allowed options^^), even at an update we can only include LOD or Tessleation as an example because there are more options to influence benchmarks.

P.S. I appreciate the feedback, not to get me wrong here, we decided to use it at challenger divisions so that we and community learn about it. Good competition, but no money onvolved, ideal start. People already called for points a couple of weeks ago, we left it at beta without points, reason is to wait for the feedback. We will try to make the rules even more clear now and hope this helps benchers to have more security and even more fun at benching

Edited by websmile

I cant rebench it, GPUs weren't mine, already returned them... I had LOD enabled since in theory it can be used in all GPU benchs for HWBOT submissions and I always have it on at my benching OS...

Also, there are lot of scores without validation links out there, so check them when you can please, apply law for all and not only for some :(

• Administrators

Validation link is not mandatory for non global top 20 - this is why the online validation is progress, it can be shown at result without needing a link. Sorry to hear that you lost the results completely, this is hard when you have no chance to rebench :/

Validation link is not mandatory for non global top 20 - this is why the online validation is progress, it can be shown at result without needing a link. Sorry to hear that you lost the results completely, this is hard when you have no chance to rebench :/

Yeah, I was 1st at Division III, now I'm 11th with no posibility to submit scores at Time Spy stage since my GPU is a 560Ti that doesn't support DX12 :(

I have a curious question. In case of benching without internet, that scores can't be validated online (Like my scores), even if the user dont use LOD, how is the procedure? I ask this since the score needs to be validated online and screenshot says that score can't be validated.