HWBOT Community Forums

Country Cup 2016?

WhiteWulfe

Is there going to be one? It isn't showing in the OC e-sports schedule, and traditionally it would be starting in a week.

...EDIT...

For those looking for the wallpaper, Massman created a dedicated thread containing it: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=163160

...END EDIT...

Edited by WhiteWulfe
Added link to thread that contains background image

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really hoping that those stages aren't finalized.... That's a bit too much of a focus on just the past two generations of hardware. No love for LGA 775, 1366, and all the awkward ones like we had last year?

EDIT: Also, last year had four SC's with a bunch of stages in and of themselves.

Edited by WhiteWulfe

TC = old bunnyextraction

CC = new bunnyextraction

sorry, 1366 is old bunnyextraction now.

Funny, there was a ton of old gear used last year.

SC1 stage 3 lga 775, stage 4 was 80486, stage 5 was HM??, stage 6 used Clarkdale processors, stage 9 was AMD K6, and stage 10 used Via processors

6/10 stages required old gear

SC2 stage 3 was 6600 GT, stage 4 was Kabini, stage 5 was Rage Fury, stage 7 was 775 igp, stage 8 was 9800gx2, stage 9 required a k6, stage 10 required an agp card.

7/10 stages required old gear

SC3 stage 1 required Sandy Bridge, stage 2 required ddr2, stage 5 was Phenom II

3/5 stages required old gear

SC4 stage 2 was 650i chipset

1/5 stages required old gear

(edit)17/30 stages required old gear(end edit)

Before you go running your mouth and trash talking, you might want to look at what was on the board last year, and why people are wondering about why the current setup is all gear from the past 3-4 years only, and why so many people are being left out when history had a nice and varied amount of hardware designed to try and bring a country together as a team. We had a rather nice variety of options on the board and some fairly nice participation was seen because of such.

2014's Country Cup at a quick glance appears to have been relatively modern hardware, but at the same time did offer two stages where older hardware could participate, even if it might not be as competitive.

Could have sworn there was discussion rather recently about how to increase the amount of participation on HWBot (and OC e-sports as a platform for competition). Trying to force people into buying new gear just so they can compete pretty much makes them say "screw this, it's even more of a money pit than a season of solo2 Autocross/autoslalom is and is starting to gain on solo1 costs", doubly so when a lot of the time people also have to fork out a decent amount of money to even have a chance at being competitive (aka liquid nitrogen, which isn't always readily available in all countries, or reasonably priced, and some people can't even get dry ice at a reasonable price).

• Administrators

Erm, what you are talking about is team cup, here is the example of sc1

OC eSports

Country cup was always smaller in amount of stages and did not focus that much on old hardware

OC eSports

In fact I think it might be even cheaper this year than last year when I see needed hardware, but we did not calculate this

Erm, what you are talking about is team cup, here is the example of sc1

OC eSports

Country cup was always smaller in amount of stages and did not focus that much on old hardware

OC eSports

In fact I think it might be even cheaper this year than last year when I see needed hardware, but we did not calculate this

I'd definitely have to say you're correct. My bad on that one, but my point on older hardware being allowed still stands. Stage 1 was ANY nvidia card, stage 2 was ANY igp that would run Firestrike, stage 3 was any processor, stage 4 was anything that could run XTU, and stage 5 you could run any gpu.

So in essence, all five stages you could run older hardware, even if it might put you at a disadvantage compared to those who had newer gear. And if you lived in a smaller country, even if you did have older gear, if your team managed the 5/5 card requirement (using stage 4 as an example) you automatically scored higher than countries that only had 4 submissions, even if those four scored significantly higher.