HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Maximus IX series

Disclamer: This is not an official support thread and tools/software is provided as is. Use at your own risk.

Obviously most of you here will want our new ROG Maximus IX Apex board, which is targeted directly to high performance users. Memory OC is great as expected and highest we've seen so far is 4220 12-11-28-1T running 32M Waza. Coolest new overclocking feature is the RSVD switch which allows you to bench CBB free with most CPUs :celebration: See the OC guide for details. It's written for M9A but applies to all boards except for certain missing features.

Latest beta bioses

Maximus IX Apex

• 0023 0801 with USB over-current detection disabled.
  • 0801 Use in most scenarios.
  • 0701 This bios has i3-7350K ratio adjustment fixed for TurboV Core & ROG Connect Plus.
  • 0026 Similar to 0701 but slightly older, seems to work well for a lot of people.
  • 0013 Like 0026 but half as good.
  • 0091 Like 0088 but with support for Core i3-7350K.
  • 0088 Might fix CBB issues with RSVD switch on some CPUs. Note that this BIOS behaves differently during POST with B-die + high voltage. Do not use this bios for Core i3-7350K as it's not updated for it.

Maximus IX Extreme

• Use official BIOS

Maximus IX Formula

Maximus IX Code

Maximus IX Hero

Other collaterals

Update log

•  
  • 2017-01-23 Added additional bioses for M9A. Added ROG wallpaper. OC guide updated to v1.1.

Edited by elmor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any difference between hero/code/formula on phase design/vrm ?

Does it worth the extra money for code or formula ? (If not interested in wifi or better ssd support)

On which of them i will have the lowest vcore for same frequency ?

Many thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Any info on Maximus IX Hero memory performance? Is it capable doing 4000+ tight? Thanks for your info.

Did this on Formula which has the same DRAM layout.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5108&stc=1&d=1483893177

Any difference between hero/code/formula on phase design/vrm ?

Does it worth the extra money for code or formula ? (If not interested in wifi or better ssd support)

On which of them i will have the lowest vcore for same frequency ?

Many thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anything overclocking you'll be best served with Apex which uses a slightly different VRM controller and drivers. The other skews should be the same in terms of VRM parts and DRAM layout.

Just started playing with this board and noticed a couple of things that might save you some time:

- OS installed on Z170 won't boot on Z270. Maybe it's different ahci-driver or something other that's easily fixable, but I reinstalled all OS anyway to get a fresh start for Z270.

- I had lost my XP64 iso from Z170 so I had to make a new one from just folder structure. That is not the easiest thing! But after several hours I found this program that worked like a charm! The Official ImgBurn Website - Fantastic little program that won't let you fail. It will make an iso file out of your folders that works with firahelper.

- Using VGA in last slot can cause black screen when installing XP. Use first slot.

Now I have clean installs from XP32/64, Win7, Win8.1 and Win10. Let the fun begin!

Just started playing with this board and noticed a couple of things that might save you some time:

- OS installed on Z170 won't boot on Z270. Maybe it's different ahci-driver or something other that's easily fixable, but I reinstalled all OS anyway to get a fresh start for Z270.

- I had lost my XP64 iso from Z170 so I had to make a new one from just folder structure. That is not the easiest thing! But after several hours I found this program that worked like a charm! The Official ImgBurn Website - Fantastic little program that won't let you fail. It will make an iso file out of your folders that works with firahelper.

- Using VGA in last slot can cause black screen when installing XP. Use first slot.

Now I have clean installs from XP32/64, Win7, Win8.1 and Win10. Let the fun begin!

You can convert a Z170 XP install by first booting it on Z170 and updating the SATA controller driver to the Z270 version (manually pick the Z270 driver). After this you can shut down and boot it up on Z270.

• 3 weeks later...