Ryzen Targets for Launch Day

Massman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets look at some facts.

We have 95watt rated tdp turbo chips.

Safe to say that non turbo fully clocked to turbo speeds is going to consume more than 95 watts.

The majority of boards thus far have an 8 pin ( 150 watt )

Then we have the ASUS ROG hero with an 8 + 4 ( 225 watt )

I am not a rocket scientist and been away for awhile but im going to guess the Hero is not the top tier of ROG. If this is not a top tier and they are supplying 225 watts I'm quite sure there is a good reason.

That said if the hero is supplying 225 watts and my sources have reported no cpu deaths but confirmed board deaths ( no mention of which boards ) I think its safe to assume that when oced under extreme conditions these chips may be exceeding 150 watt draw.

conclusion? We may see and want to wait for beefier powered boards ( those of us who plan to beat the snot out of these chips loaded 16 threads ln2 )

The CPU 8pin connector can do a lot more than 150W. The GPU 8pin is only 3GND and 3 12V and that can do over 150W. So CPU 8pin is at least 200W and if you go by the spec. Which is actually really underated because the official spec for the connector is that each pair of 12V and GND pin is good for 13A(this is more than the 10A rating of the 18AWG cables PSUs use). I've shoved close to 400W through CPU 8 pins no problem and based on their electrical spec I would advise not pushing more than 450W through an 8 pin since at that point the cables might melt.

As for the VRMs blowing up. Without knowing what boards blew up that doesn't really tell us anything. Plenty of AM3+ boards also blow up.

If none of the boards currently announced can handle maxed out Zen CPUs there's always the E-power option but I really doubt that will be necessary

Msi has a board with 8+4 cpu power now.

Looks like 4+2 for phases? tough to tell. I see 6 chokes.

oops missed 4 chokes under heatsink. Total of 10. Weird layout cap wise with a mix of electrolytic and surface mount ( been awhile name escapes me )

Seeing a trend with the top end boards now.

Edited by chew*