HWBOT Community Forums

Maximus IX Apex Overclocking Thread

MAXIMUS IX APEX OVERCLOCKING THREAD!!!!

Figured this board is so amazing we could use a separate thread to post results, show off our mem oc's and show off some of the new APEX features.

There are some great new Pro Overclocker memory profiles under "2x8GB New Samsung Single-Side"

There is a Dancop XTU World Record Profile.

There is a Fredayama 32m profile.

There is also a Raja 24/7 profile and another Raja profile under 2x16gb Samsung Double Side.

I just got the board so I have only setup OS and boot with xmp to test mem, booted 4266mhz xmp without any adjustments.

Will start posting 32m mem results and more features and ln2 results in this thread.

There is also some new der8auer 24/7 5ghz profiles and a really cool slamms benchmarking profiles.

MAXIMUS IX APEX EXTREME OVERCLOCKING GUIDE

(originally posted by Elmor)

- DOWNLOAD SECTION

Z270 FIRAHELPER

Z270 AHCI DRIVER

Z270 CHIPSET DRIVER

Z270 MEI DRIVER

Turbo Vcore 1.01.15

ROG Connect Plus 1.00.36

Mem TweakIt 2.02.30

OC Panel Files

Z270 USB3

- MAXIMUS APEX BIOS FILES

MAXIMUS IX APEX BIOS 0701

(use in most scenarios)

MAXIMUS IX APEX BIOS 0088

(Might fix CBB issues with RSVD switch on some CPUs. Note that this BIOS behaves differently during POST with B-die + high voltage. Do not use this bios for Core i3-7350K as it's not updated for it.)

- XP Install Tools

Z270 XP Install Guide

Z270 FIRAHELPER & Tools for XP Install

(These are from the Maximus VIII Thread and Elmors m9 post. I just extracted the specific XP pages from the guide and replaced the firahelper images with the new ones for Z270. it looks like they will also work for Z170.)

Edited by Strong Island

Installed XP last night, was really easy. Just used old guide from maximus viii thread and replaced the firahelper with the new ones elmor posted. It's really fast. I'm sure most people know that but just wanted to mention.

Elmor said that you can boot your z170 install with z170 and manually update to z270 sata controller driver and then boot on z270. Felt good to go fresh though.

Edited by Strong Island

Not many mobos that boot xmp 8x2 @ 4266 easily.

Also passed 1hr real bench. I Used the der8auer 24/7 5ghz profile and booted up without any adjustments, his profile also sets xmp for you and 3 negative avx offset.

This cpu is pretty strong, just about passes real bench at 5180mhz at this voltage but crashed after 30min.

Testing memory for super pi and xtu tonight. Also got a 7350k, excited to try it out.

Anybody also see significant difference between Z170 and Z270 binned memory?

Just tested 4133 C12-11-11 tight binned on Z170 kit and it can barely run 4000 tight in 32M.

Another binned kit is OK... so it feels like that some kits don't like new platform?

Sure have, but for me its been a bit harder to train/find proper volt combinations for stability (vccio, vccsa and vttddr?). The biggest issue Ive seen is rtl's not training or only able to run looser. I've tried going between SKL/Kaby a few minutes apart with same b die and on SKL trained and was stable 4133c12-11 50/50/7/6 & 50/51/6/6 swapped to 7700k and would only train 58/51/15/7 and could only set 50/51/7/7 manually or no boot. Best method I've found to work for me was train at 4000 with dram volts far higher than needed (my kit does 4133c12-11-240-50-51-6-6 1.885-1.895v bios, waza stable), so I'll set like 1.970v bios then 4000 will train 49/50/6/6. Boot to OS, lower volts and bclk up to 4133 and have 49/50/6/6 rtl's. Never tried 32m tho, but gb3, maxxmem and xtu were stable

Edited by GtiJason

Did any of you have seen any improvement in voltage on the same frequency vs the old generation ?

For example if a 7700k does cinebench 5 ghz at 1.30v on a z170 Hero, on Apex will be the same voltage or lower ?

I am sure that vs asus boards,Asrock z170 Moc requires less voltage on same frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody also see significant difference between Z170 and Z270 binned memory?

Just tested 4133 C12-11-11 tight binned on Z170 kit and it can barely run 4000 tight in 32M.

Another binned kit is OK... so it feels like that some kits don't like new platform?

I have a little bit of trouble running the same kit at 1t, at 1t I have trouble with 4k c12, and get 3f a lot, it's not a great kit but can do 4k c12. At 2t it runs fine and can get some more mhz.

I think I just need to buy a nice pre-binned kit, been having trouble finding a nice one myself. I have also only tested 1 es cpu so far, need to find a nice imc.

I wanted to show some super pi but 3900 c12 seems almost embarrassing on a board like this, haha, hopefully I find something nice soon. Going to try cold imc also this weekend.

I have a little bit of trouble running the same kit at 1t, at 1t I have trouble with 4k c12, and get 3f a lot, it's not a great kit but can do 4k c12. At 2t it runs fine and can get some more mhz.

I think I just need to buy a nice pre-binned kit, been having trouble finding a nice one myself. I have also only tested 1 es cpu so far, need to find a nice imc.

I wanted to show some super pi but 3900 c12 seems almost embarrassing on a board like this, haha, hopefully I find something nice soon. Going to try cold imc also this weekend.

I think 3F is memory problem. I had this my first run on LN2 on this board. Turns out it wanted to train memory at 48/49 6/6, and I had locked it to 49/50 6/6, like the usual. It had worked on air previously... Might also need to adjust subtimings...

I extracted the xp install pages from the maximus viii thread oc guide and replaced the old firahelper with the new ones for z270 and included in OP. It's all from elmor and asus but I just figured I would make it easier for apex users, so guide and tools are in opening post for apex xp install. works great, they really made a nice guide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...