HWBOT Community Forums

Allowed GPU's Div III

wiLLius

• Administrators

980 ti is excluded from ddivision II and III, we handle this same way we did on last stage last year, so configuration will be updated to show it at rules as well. 970 and old 980 no problem, when we talk about cash I saw these go cheaper on ebay than 1060 already

if there is an appropriate limitation you can :P

for people who have hundrets of euros to spend to win there are the core i7 and core i5 stages ;)

but maybe some people will compete just with the hardware they allready have :battle:

nobody will extra buy a core i3 sandybridge or ivy bridge or haswell to participate (because it´s totally senseles), but these cpus are allowed... but who ownes one of these cpus could paricipate just for fun without paying anything ;) (if there wasn´t this f***ing gpu-limitation :P)

i suppose wiLLius is such a overclocker who want to participate with his existing hardware without spending hundrets of euros...

Edited by Luebke

No not really, I want to know what I need before I buy anything. Don't want to spend money on a GPU only to find out there's a better piece of silicon allowed because of (incomplete) rules. Or the other way round having a major advantage because I read between the lines and others don't. An equal playing field is what one, as a competitor, wants. OC is expensive enough as it is ;)

• Administrators

@Luebke What you say makes no sense - you can participate with your sb i3 and a GT710, but even if you have 980 you will not win with an i3 haswell or whatever old locked cpu you use. There are divisions for each purpose and wallet, and we cannot exclude 980 when price level is like 1060. If I would follow your arguments, we would have to ban all 1151 i3s because these are only one that can oc and a new 6100 is 110 euros plus you need a board able to execute unlock oc. With all respect, you have very right to enter the comp but there is no right to win, and we will not discriminate power users because soomeone thinks that everyone who owns a 3 year old 980 is rich and buying the division win

On the GPUs, this will get an addon at rules, we will handle this very similar to last year but want to make things a bit more easy to understand

Edited by websmile

980 ti is excluded from ddivision II and III, we handle this same way we did on last stage last year, so configuration will be updated to show it at rules as well. 970 and old 980 no problem, when we talk about cash I saw these go cheaper on ebay than 1060 already

A 980ti is about on par with a 1070 in time spy (was a DX12 bench around last year?) and, 3d05 is pretty CPU bound, so it makes some sense to put the Ti in II. Will you reconsider?

I do not agree with allowing 980, 980 was high end when it was released. I thought the point of the different classes were that we would have to spend alot of money to buy stuff specifically for these competitions. Just use what is in your price class, i.e. what you already have.

Why not allow 3770k/2600k they are cheaper than 7350k...for me it is illogical.

I do not agree with allowing 980, 980 was high end when it was released. I thought the point of the different classes were that we would have to spend alot of money to buy stuff specifically for these competitions. Just use what is in your price class, i.e. what you already have.

Why not allow 3770k/2600k they are cheaper than 7350k...for me it is illogical.

I think we could argue for days on the gpu part due to the massive change in the pricing on gpus.

The point i was making was not which card they picked prior to the start of the competition but once it was picked, to stick with it.

The 980 was included and the conclusion by websmile was that it was allowed due to low cost of the card. This was on the first day of the competition.

People make buying decisions and plans before the comp but when the competition starts the hardware should not change. Period.

This is for the benefit of all benchers. Whatever card is picked stick with it.

If your point is to save money what about the people that have or have just bought a 980 or 970 and now are being asked to buy a lesser card after the start of the competition.

Saving money works both ways.

The current most poplular gpus on Hwbot are:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Intel Mobile HD Graphics 5300

If there is a price advantage for a stronger card which is the better option?

In all honesty i have a 780ti it does not matter to me I have 980 and 980ti

I ask for those that at this point in the competition should not be asked to buy a different card.

In all fairness I understand your point but that should have been brought up before the start of the competition. I'm done here good luck to all.

And 980 is (was) high end. Div III is for mid-low end

Actually, since it was a cut die most reviews referred to it as a mid-range card right out of the gate, and in a reasonable amount of benchmarks it wound up swapping blows with the card it supposedly replaced, the 780 Ti... Except the 780 Ti and 980 were pretty much neck and neck on GM204's release.

If it truly was high end, and actually replaced the 780 Ti one would expect it to have offered more than just a power consumption savings. It was a sizeable upgrade that replaced the 780, but not the Ti.

Glad I didn't buy that 980 yesterday!

Same here, spent 2 hours looking for and budgeting a gtx 980. I didn't really want anyways, sure glad I decided to sleep on it.

Thing about Divisions I was led to believe to believe from day 1 this is how it worked tho some cards made this challenging.

Div. 1 / Div. 2 / Div. 3

GTX 760 / GTX 770 / GTX 780

R7-9 270 / 280 / 290

With ti and X included so 780 can be ti,

GTX 960 / GTX 970 / GTX 980

Edited by GtiJason
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

We had a complete system of allowed cards last years which was a tier model, meaning that first tier cards like 1080,980ti,980 780ti etc were division I and second tier cards like 1070, 970 etc II etc. I twas a lot of work and all we got for feedback was complains and that we overcomplicated things - in fact a lot of guys complained because they did not understand the pattern, must have been to hard to understand it seems.

Therefore we make it easier this year, if it is more fair, I doubt it, but we are tired of hearing that our "elitist approach" and similar sentences we had to hear makes challengers complicated. :)

So, 980 will be readded, this was communication error as it was never planned to be not allowed for division II and three as well

Edited by websmile