HWBOT Community Forums

Kaby IHS

bartx

I'm mostly interested in the fact that at least this one will be flat, and I dont have to lap my intel one.

I've lapped my Intel ES ihs, i can feel a bit difference like 20mhz ish, and less grase snap.

Inviato dal mio SM-A300FU utilizzando Tapatalk

I've lapped my Intel ES ihs, i can feel a bit difference like 20mhz ish, and less grase snap.

Inviato dal mio SM-A300FU utilizzando Tapatalk

According to some reports and my knowledge I think that quality of standard IHS may vary - remember that it's a mass production, so they have some tolerance range in dimmensions, flatness and surface roughness.

Not to mention, that spare IHS will for sure help keep all the markings on original IHS intact :)

According to some reports and my knowledge I think that quality of standard IHS may vary - remember that it's a mass production, so they have some tolerance range in dimmensions, flatness and surface roughness.

Not to mention, that spare IHS will for sure help keep all the markings on original IHS intact :)

I checked a few retail IHS. I found that depth of pocket on bottom varies from .28-.38mm and flatness varies up too .05mm.

I checked a few retail IHS. I found that depth of pocket on bottom varies from .28-.38mm and flatness varies up too .05mm.

Exactly, thanks for that info. In my opinion IHS are stamped from huge copper sheet, just looking how the edges look like. It should be the cheapest process. Probably couple companies make them all the time, as long as they pass quality control and assumed tolerances it's all good.

Edited by bartx

In case of casting, they should have some marks from ejector pins and mark in the place, where metal is injected. Like injection moulded parts. I'm not 100% sure, I was designing plastic automotive parts for some time, but never any die casted metal parts.

I would be super interested in that :D

Me too :) I use Cu ETP, 99,9% pure copper. There is purer alloy CuOF (99,95%), but it's for sure more expensive and I'm almost sure that Intel won't use it in mass production due to price.

me too, but unfortunately i don´t have a skylake or kabylake ihs :(

• 5 months later...