HWBOT Community Forums

Cold testing?

Massman

Anyone tested Sandy with LN2 already?

I'm just running a couple of tests now and it strikes me that around -50°C I get the same AE error as I get when I clock to high on air. So:

5400 on air -> stable.

5500 on air -> AE

5400 on ln2:

-50°C and lower -> AE

-46°C -> show OS list, but freeze while loading

-40°C -> load into windows

Anyone else found this?

Did some quick tests on DICE. Capped at 5.4 same as air. Got another 2600K again capped at 5.4. 55x multi boots fine but freezes before loading windows. Some PCIe vendor doesn't match error.

I've got the same issue with MSI GD55 :D

I' ve tested with SS ~50C, 55 multi was possible, with water only 54 multi was possible. Board or cpu worked strange with good memory(it didn't work with tight timings). Looking for best cpu and board

Anybody knows the programm which can change timings at OS?

Air, water or Dry Ice it matters not my CPU does not budge beyond 5.288GHz. My husband has the same batch and the same problem. Only difference his CPU will do 5.288 @1.460 volts mine needs over 1.5 for 53x multi. :)

So ebay it goes and next....

I've got the same issue with MSI GD55 :D

I' ve tested with SS ~50C, 55 multi was possible, with water only 54 multi was possible. Board or cpu worked strange with good memory(it didn't work with tight timings). Looking for best cpu and board

Anybody knows the programm which can change timings at OS?

That error message is a pain lol. Picking up a GD65 tomorrow and seeing if I get the same as the GD55.

Mine is also stuck at 53 multi. And it needs a lot of volts to do that. 1.6V!

Tried in my UD4 and my UD7 no difference. Contemplated digging out my water cooler, but am beginning to think it wouldnt be worth the effort.

Can't really complain though. 5.3 on air! Not even super high end air either. Zalman CNPS10X Performa with push/pull.

That error message is a pain lol. Picking up a GD65 tomorrow and seeing if I get the same as the GD55.

I get that same error message with the GD65 trying to boot with 53x. Haven't tried cold, but don't think it's going to help much and too lazy to prep the mb for same results i get with water.

I think it is CPU at this point. Mainly because I have not had a CPU that can do better and we only have the two boards which are the same to test on. Would be willing to test this theory with a 5.700GHz SB is anyone wishes to send to me. :D :D

Looks like we are all having issues with 52x+ multi on Jiggabyte boards. I'm also stuck with 52x, rarely 53x with UD3, no matter if the CPU is at -95°C or +35°C :/

Could it be also that there are just some chip that are unwilling to go beyond ~ 5300?

same problem here... no difference of temperature...

my 2600k boots fine with 52 multiplier, but doesnt boot with 53, not on my ud4 nor the ud7.

but i found out, i am able to boot with 53 multiplier, if i set the baseclock to 99 manually. anyway, no gain in total mhz :(

same problem here... no difference of temperature...

my 2600k boots fine with 52 multiplier, but doesnt boot with 53, not on my ud4 nor the ud7.

but i found out, i am able to boot with 53 multiplier, if i set the baseclock to 99 manually. anyway, no gain in total mhz :(

Have you try to enable turbo and set all the multiplyers to 53?

I have tested 3 sb's on ud7 and GD65.

The first 2 would not go past 52 multi on either board... and seem to need high vcore on air... lower vcore on ss..

My 3rd is the monster chip... will do 57 multi... so it looks like a chip limitation.

On the GD65 board.. if you get the pcix error... make sure your on the newest bios and mem is loosened up and then tighten it down.. could also be a vcore issue....

I need cold to bring mine down any further... sb is a whole new wave of overclocking... quite interesting...

Have you try to enable turbo and set all the multiplyers to 53?

yes, i tried this as well... thanks, but no gain :(

i have no idea if should be like that, but i can just set the first 3 cores to 53x - the last one i had to keep "auto" otherwise the first 3 multiplier settings reseted back to "auto".

• 2 months later...

Some interesting testing from here:

my best chip --> ~5650 under singlestage --> hardly 5450 under air with 1.6V

The difference from a chip with a hard wall --> it will not freeze during the loading bar of windows xp but during boot or short after reaching windows desktop @5.5 on air, also you have the feeling "it wants to" when booting...not that "oh man that f***** loading bar will always crash".

That's where I can see "ok the chip has potential under cold"

different was the 2500K of my GF some days ago

5400 boot but with near 1,6V

5500 instant freeze on the loading bar XP up to 1.66V

So I decided that chip isn't good at all - maybe 545X under ss but well...we all want 5.9 chips :D

Similar to that my 2nd chip

5400 hard to bench under air, only with high vcore

5500 can boot with 1.6V but crashes short after windows desktop

5589 under single stage then

So yes, there definitly is a remarkable scaling under cold but just with certain chips and not as high as we are used to :(

I have 2600k which is prety shity on air. 5470 max stable with tons of voltage. It is almost useless for benching because voltage hunger. Things are much better on -20c. 5610 stable with less voltage than it needs for 5.5 on air. Cpuz is working on -60c without problems. No freezing or anything, expect 50mhz less max mhz.

Edited by MAGARAC