HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Crosshair VI

Quick question, sorry if it has been adressed, I've tried google but havent found the answer. I am currently running my 1700 at 4018 mhz stable with tridentz 3200 ram at 114bclk 3343 mhz with 12 12 12 12 26 timings is a bclk of 114 ok for a daily driver or do i need to go back to 100 bclk for daily use?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quick question, sorry if it has been adressed, I've tried google but havent found the answer. I am currently running my 1700 at 4018 mhz stable with tridentz 3200 ram at 114bclk 3343 mhz with 12 12 12 12 26 timings is a bclk of 114 ok for a daily driver or do i need to go back to 100 bclk for daily use?

From what I read around, under 115-120 is just fine for daily, and it will keep your PCI under GEN2 which is fine even for cards like the gtx 1080ti

I am running 125 with my 24/7-rig without a single hiccup. m.2 and 1080 ti-sli running fine with fixed 3.0 in bios. Only the link between cpu and promontory is down to 2.0.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5621&stc=1&d=1492941828

I am running 125 with my 24/7-rig without a single hiccup. m.2 and 1080 ti-sli running fine with fixed 3.0 in bios. Only the link between cpu and promontory is down to 2.0.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5621&stc=1&d=1492941828

This is the setup I was aiming for.

Can you post your exact BIOS settings in terms of the memory, PCIe, and so on please?

God will protect us xD ufff

elmor0008_mini.jpg

cine_4.2_cas12_3200_mini.jpg

4.5_cine_mini.jpg

cpu4.jpg

I had similar issue, but of course, I cant run it at 4500 MHz with AIO :) But If I tried 4150 MHz, I got lower score thnan at 4074 MHz, with 4100 MHz only 5 points better than at 4074 MHz. Temps are not issue in this case...So I dont know :)

This is the setup I was aiming for.

Can you post your exact BIOS settings in terms of the memory, PCIe, and so on please?

Awesome, gonna try this out also!

Here are my current settings with bios 1001:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5622&stc=1&d=1493052115

attachment.php?attachmentid=5623&stc=1&d=1493052115

attachment.php?attachmentid=5624&stc=1&d=1493052115

attachment.php?attachmentid=5625&stc=1&d=1493052115

attachment.php?attachmentid=5626&stc=1&d=1493052115

attachment.php?attachmentid=5627&stc=1&d=1493052115

attachment.php?attachmentid=5628&stc=1&d=1493052123

There is one drawback though. If you shut down the psu or pull the plug, the system does start three times till the final post occurs. On - off - on - off - on.

Additionally I have to say that these settings aren't very stable. I can run Prime95 29.10 FM3 for about 30 Minutes (18k, 1344k and 800k tested) but longer runs result in a shutdown. But it's enough to fullfill my needs for a gaming rig (I did not have a single crash since running these settings).

There is one drawback though. If you shut down the psu or pull the plug, the system does start three times till the final post occurs. On - off - on - off - on.

Additionally I have to say that these settings aren't very stable. I can run Prime95 29.10 FM3 for about 30 Minutes (18k, 1344k and 800k tested) but longer runs result in a shutdown. But it's enough to fullfill my needs for a gaming rig (I did not have a single crash since running these settings).

I appreciate the info , ill give it a go!

My C6H is unresponsive. BIOS update failed. Flashback didnt help. Pressing PWR or any other button motherboard doesn't power up. Where can I find the EC ROM file to try and fix it? Thank you.

// UPDATE Re-Flashed EC EEPROM with new EC ROM via external SPI programmer and C6H is alive again.

Edited by Aerou

I had similar issue, but of course, I cant run it at 4500 MHz with AIO :) But If I tried 4150 MHz, I got lower score thnan at 4074 MHz, with 4100 MHz only 5 points better than at 4074 MHz. Temps are not issue in this case...So I dont know :)

Of course they are...i wont even try running over 1.45v on phase change...

1.6 i use for pi...single threaded...

My C6H is unresponsive. BIOS update failed. Flashback didnt help. Pressing PWR or any other button motherboard doesn't power up. Where can I find the EC ROM file to try and fix it? Thank you.

// UPDATE Re-Flashed EC EEPROM with new EC ROM via external SPI programmer and C6H is alive again.

flash at least 1001 BIOS and you could be in safe in future :)

Thanks.

Couple questions/suggestions:

- What is the actual vcore under load (prime for example)?

- Any reason you chose Load Line Cal. at Level 3 and not 4 or 5? It might give you more stability under stress tests, maybe worth a try.

- Any reason the PCIex16 and x8 are left to GEN 3, I would assume at 125 BCLK you would want them set for GEN2?

- You are running 64GB otherwise you could have got much better frequency and timing with the type of RAM you have. Still 64GB with 14 timing and 3000 is excellent!

Couple questions/suggestions:

- What is the actual vcore under load (prime for example)? [/Quote]

It depends on the way you read the vcore.

- CPU-Z: 1.308v

- HWInfo SVI2 TFN: lowest reading is 1.286v, most of the time while P95-load it is 1.294v

- dmm: 1.399v

- Any reason you chose Load Line Cal. at Level 3 and not 4 or 5? It might give you more stability under stress tests, maybe worth a try. [/Quote]

Because I don't want full llc. I want to have a slightly lower voltage under load than in idle.

- Any reason the PCIex16 and x8 are left to GEN 3, I would assume at 125 BCLK you would want them set for GEN2?[/Quote]

Is there a reason why I should want them to set for GEN2?

GEN2 would cut PCIe-bandwidth in half compared to GEN3. Running 2x 1080TI I already have bottlenecks in gaming even at 100 mhz GEN3. Additional 25 mhz more pcie-clock help to widen the bottleneck while gaming. Going down to GEN2 would make this bottleneck even worse.

So since this is my daily gaming-rig I don't really understand your intention. Sorry.

- You are running 64GB otherwise you could have got much better frequency and timing with the type of RAM you have. Still 64GB with 14 timing and 3000 is excellent!

Sorry to sound a bit rude but when I want to run 64 gb in my daily rig then I simply do it. I know that I could hit higher numbers with less memory but again: I don't want to break records with this setup, it's intended to game with.

I am running Battlefield 4 in 3840x2160 and 125 % resolution scale (that means 4800x2700 effectivly, 56 % more pixels than 3840x2160) with about 130 to 160 fps (only some drops below 100 fps). This setup doesn't care about SuperPI, Geekbench or similar tests. It's all about best possible daily gaming-performance with Ryzen. And I think I succeeded. ;)

I am very pleased with this setup and the fact that I can run 64 gb at 3000 with c14. I never expected such memory clock with my TridentZ-kit.

It depends on the way you read the vcore.

- CPU-Z: 1.308v

- HWInfo SVI2 TFN: lowest reading is 1.286v, most of the time while P95-load it is 1.294v

- dmm: 1.399v

Because I don't want full llc. I want to have a slightly lower voltage under load than in idle.

Is there a reason why I should want them to set for GEN2?

GEN2 would cut PCIe-bandwidth in half compared to GEN3. Running 2x 1080TI I already have bottlenecks in gaming even at 100 mhz GEN3. Additional 25 mhz more pcie-clock help to widen the bottleneck while gaming. Going down to GEN2 would make this bottleneck even worse.

So since this is my daily gaming-rig I don't really understand your intention. Sorry.

Sorry to sound a bit rude but when I want to run 64 gb in my daily rig then I simply do it. I know that I could hit higher numbers with less memory but again: I don't want to break records with this setup, it's intended to game with.

I am running Battlefield 4 in 3840x2160 and 125 % resolution scale (that means 4800x2700 effectivly, 56 % more pixels than 3840x2160) with about 130 to 160 fps (only some drops below 100 fps). This setup doesn't care about SuperPI, Geekbench or similar tests. It's all about best possible daily gaming-performance with Ryzen. And I think I succeeded. ;)

I am very pleased with this setup and the fact that I can run 64 gb at 3000 with c14. I never expected such memory clock with my TridentZ-kit.

So let's go with the dmm, 1.399v under load.. that means the set voltage under BIOS for 1.3250 is not accurate if we measure it with the the dmm. Could you please measure the vcore on idle with a dmm?? Just want to know the actual diff between the two when measured with a dmm.

Are you sure the tests are not crashing because of vcore dropping more than it should when LLC is at level 3? Just a question, not trying to give you hard time lol

For the BCLK, I read that it was advised to lower to GEN2 when OCing the BCLK from 100 to 105-144.. did I misread that??

It makes perfect sense to leave the 1080ti on GEN 3 for that huge bandwidth you have, am just lost how it would still work when we OCed the BCLK to 125.

For the 64GB, I was actually praising your setup, not criticizing it, dont take all my comments too personally :D It is the reason why I will go for 2x16GB for now, in case I would need to add 64gb in the future!

So let's go with the dmm, 1.399v under load.. that means the set voltage under BIOS for 1.3250 is not accurate if we measure it with the the dmm. Could you please measure the vcore on idle with a dmm?? Just want to know the actual diff between the two when measured with a dmm. [/Quote]

This was already discussed earlier in this thread. Dmm-reading while loaded isn't accurate. I haven't measured idle, though.

Are you sure the tests are not crashing because of vcore dropping more than it should when LLC is at level 3? Just a question, not trying to give you hard time lol [/Quote]

For sure crashes during P95-load occur due to low vcore. But I don't want to use llc4 or 5 for daily operation so the only conclusion would be to raise vcore. Will do that later on when the may-update is there so I (hopefully) can adjust memory timings. Then I plan to find a fully primestable setting. For now half an hour for different FFT-lengths is enough for me.

For the BCLK, I read that it was advised to lower to GEN2 when OCing the BCLK from 100 to 105-144.. did I misread that??

It makes perfect sense to leave the 1080ti on GEN 3 for that huge bandwidth you have, am just lost how it would still work when we OCed the BCLK to 125.[/Quote]

That was no advise. It's the way PCIe on Ryzen works. ASUS found a way to force 3.0 (or 2.0 later on when Ryzen switches to 1.1) on higher PCIe-frequencies so this setting is very welcome to widen my bottleneck.

For the 64GB, I was actually praising your setup, not criticizing it, dont take all my comments too personally :D It is the reason why I will go for 2x16GB for now, in case I would need to add 64gb in the future!

Better have something you don't need than need something you don't have. Therefore I always have more memory installed than I really need. :) This memory kit was a good deal with websmile and I enjoy it every day. I don't really need this amount but it gives me a good feeling to know that there is no bottleneck in my system.

For my 24/7-system I wouldn't feel comfortable with 32 gb - let alone 16 gb. :D

This was already discussed earlier in this thread. Dmm-reading while loaded isn't accurate. I haven't measured idle, though.

For sure crashes during P95-load occur due to low vcore. But I don't want to use llc4 or 5 for daily operation so the only conclusion would be to raise vcore. Will do that later on when the may-update is there so I (hopefully) can adjust memory timings. Then I plan to find a fully primestable setting. For now half an hour for different FFT-lengths is enough for me.

That was no advise. It's the way PCIe on Ryzen works. ASUS found a way to force 3.0 (or 2.0 later on when Ryzen switches to 1.1) on higher PCIe-frequencies so this setting is very welcome to widen my bottleneck.

Better have something you don't need than need something you don't have. Therefore I always have more memory installed than I really need. :) This memory kit was a good deal with websmile and I enjoy it every day. I don't really need this amount but it gives me a good feeling to know that there is no bottleneck in my system.

For my 24/7-system I wouldn't feel comfortable with 32 gb - let alone 16 gb. :D

Well I gotta read 10,000 posts there to see if there is any software solution that monitors vcore accurately.

If you get a chance to measure idle with a DMM please let me know. I wonder if BIOS is still inaccurate. Otherwise, how are we to set vcore for idle and LLC in BIOS if all these numbers are not true to begin with... its all a mess.

Ahh good to know, I would much rather leave it at GEN3 with 125 BCLK then. Glad to hear it is working fine.

Well I gotta read 10,000 posts there to see if there is any software solution that monitors vcore accurately.

If you get a chance to measure idle with a DMM please let me know. I wonder if BIOS is still inaccurate. Otherwise, how are we to set vcore for idle and LLC in BIOS if all these numbers are not true to begin with... its all a mess. [/Quote]

If you follow the link in my previous post you see this statement from elmor:

For accurate readings try the latest HWInfo64 which has values directly from the VRM controller.[/Quote]

Because of that statement I rely most on SVI2 TFN-reading from HWInfo64. This value slightly drops when I start to stress my cpu - like it should when using llc 3. Additionally this value is roughly the same like vcore bios setting when cpu is in idle.

Ahh good to know, I would much rather leave it at GEN3 with 125 BCLK then. Glad to hear it is working fine.

Yes, it's working fine for now. And I'm happy with it because now I have the same PCIe-bandwidth like 2x x10 3.0. Better than 2x x8 3.0 and totally worth it. :)

If you follow the link in my previous post you see this statement from elmor:

Because of that statement I rely most on SVI2 TFN-reading from HWInfo64. This value slightly drops when I start to stress my cpu - like it should when using llc 3. Additionally this value is roughly the same like vcore bios setting when cpu is in idle.

Yes, it's working fine for now. And I'm happy with it because now I have the same PCIe-bandwidth like 2x x10 3.0. Better than 2x x8 3.0 and totally worth it. :)

From what I read around, we WANT the CPU to lower its voltage under stress in order to compensate for the higher current when its under load, otherwise there is higher risk for damaging the CPU with too much voltage.

That said, I have to research more to leave the LLC at auto, or to put it to something reasonable for daily usage, like Level 2 or 3.

Can anyone comment on their recommendations for LLC for a Ryzen 7 chip to reach something like 3.8 to 3.9 (I dont plan to go further than that)?

To be more specific as far as LLC, should we try to keep the vcore idle voltage to be THE SAME under load or should it be MORE than the idle vcore (with the help of LLC)..?

My understanding is that the higher LLC we choose, the higher voltage overshooting will happen when CPU is under load, which means more potential damage to the CPU, or am I understanding this wrong? I thought the whole point of LLC is to prevent the CPU from going under what is set in the BIOS (cdroop), but it seems LLC is actually allowing the vcore to be MORE than what it is set in BIOS. Can someone clarify all this as far as the CH6 goes?

Dmm at board read points = wrong.

Just some fyi.

Socket or dont use it as a reference because its innacurate.

@ socket i was seeing 1.40-1.41 load set 1.40 lvl 5 llc.

Probably lvl 4 is better for 24/7.

Ignore cpu-z idle right load wrong.

Edited by chew*

To be more specific as far as LLC, should we try to keep the vcore idle voltage to be THE SAME under load or should it be MORE than the idle vcore (with the help of LLC)..?

My understanding is that the higher LLC we choose, the higher voltage overshooting will happen when CPU is under load, which means more potential damage to the CPU, or am I understanding this wrong? I thought the whole point of LLC is to prevent the CPU from going under what is set in the BIOS (cdroop), but it seems LLC is actually allowing the vcore to be MORE than what it is set in BIOS. Can someone clarify all this as far as the CH6 goes?

You worry too much, auto works fine so does LLC 3 you just need to set V_Core to accommodate your needs. Auto will have a larger droop under load. I never had issue with that until I pushed harder and the droop started to increase. Then I raised it to LLC 3 which kept load voltage ~ .025V lower than BIOS setting under load.