HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Crosshair VI

You worry too much, auto works fine so does LLC 3 you just need to set V_Core to accommodate your needs. Auto will have a larger droop under load. I never had issue with that until I pushed harder and the droop started to increase. Then I raised it to LLC 3 which kept load voltage ~ .025V lower than BIOS setting under load.

I am actually not worried about vdroop: at worst your stress test will fail, at best you save your CPU.

I am worried about LLC allowing the CPU to go much higher than the idle set limit in BIOS when CPU is under load. At best it should keep it within that limit, not go OVER it...

What MB manuf should do is have 2 vcore voltages: one for idle, and another for load, so CPU will bounce between these two values depending on load. LLC can cause dangerous results especially that we dont know exactly what is the voltage limit for each LLC level, Auto included... It does not help when majority of software are not measuring correctly, so what you see is not what you get

Common, even at LLC5 it is going slightly above what set in bios. It's not like going to 1.8V when 1.4V is set.

I don't see what danger you're talking about.

Also, what voltage limit on each LLC? You can measure it under socket for actual voltage.

That depends greatly on each MB, I have seen ugly voltage overshooting with LLC being used under load on many boards. Maybe not the Crosshair, I cannot confirm until I get one.

I will try to find the measurement points for the DMM once I get CPU / MB...

Does Asus even mention what is the voltage variance between each LLC level used? Meaning if it is set at 1.40 in BIOS, what is the range of voltage it would vary between each LLC level used?

With new BIOS 0079 even with LLC 4; it doesn't go higher than what you specify in Vcore so there's no danger. In older BIOS with LLC 5 you would see higher than specified in Vcore. I have it running on LLC 4 at 1.42 volts and it never surpasses 1.42.

Llc 1002 bios

Bios set 1.4v LLC 5 optimized phase control....not extreme ( are you on ln2? No...then do not use extreme)

Load @ measure pad 1.44-1.45

Load @ socket 1.40-1.41 idle 1.39.

Speculation without even owning this particular board?

Priceless.

Using software to monitor voltage?

Silly.

Edited by chew*

Well maybe Asus should clarify their voltage expected range with each of their LLC levels, so we dont have to do all this guessing and manual checking work? Ya they should, and that is the root problem, not me trying to get the info I need... Speculation based on lack of info from manuf is Normal.

Measuring at socket with a dmm should not be a requirement for 95% of users, unless you are doing hardcore OCing or require some crazy accuracy, which is again, not the case for 95% of users. Otherwise, it is AMD and the motherboard manuf that should tell software engineers how to accurately find and display all these necessary voltages. It is not rocket science, nor should it be the way it is today. You are lucky you are not dealing with hundreds of amps and hundreds of volts otherwise you would be thinking very hard b4 suggesting to use a dmm. Just saying...

Ya let me open my case and measure with a dmm every time I need a vcore or SOC reading... far from practical or ideal.. Assuming nothing get shorted....thats what I call silly

I been using dmm for over 10 years, for all kind of applications, but this is NOT where I wanna use a dmm while OCing or getting some simple voltages on a $300+ board and a $400+ CPU..

Edited by Amd_ocer

The Stilt posted this info on OCN regarding LLC on C6H, this one is also good information.

Then Raja@Asus also did some oscilloscope tests, see this post, then in this post he states the same thing as The Stilt on "voltage point".

Then a member did some testing of ProbeIt point vs Socket using DMM (which will not show under/overshoot like oscilloscope). The conclusion was drawn that CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) in HWiNFO is ~ what CPU get, but again as SW and slow read, accuracy is a factor IMO. So I use as "ballpark".

Edited by gupsterg

The Stilt posted this info on OCN regarding LLC on C6H, this one is also good information.

Then Raja@Asus also did some oscilloscope tests, see this post, then in this post he states the same thing as The Stilt on "voltage point".

Then a member did some testing of ProbeIt point vs Socket using DMM (which will not show under/overshoot like oscilloscope). The conclusion was drawn that CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) in HWiNFO is ~ what CPU get, but again as SW and slow read, accuracy is a factor IMO. So I use as "ballpark".

Best post with the most useful info right there. Thanks!

I thought I had killed my board over the weekend. I tried to adjust Vcore in TurboV Core, moved the slider from 1.6 to 1.625 V, clicked apply - instant death, code 8_. After drying everything up and waiting a few hours the board displayed only 0I (not 01 - vertical bar on 2nd segment closer to first segment), even with other CPUs, memory combinations, CMOS clear - anything I tried. I left it to sit without battery overnight and flashed 1107 this morning with USB flashback, and behold, it lives :)

• 2 weeks later...

Want to make it more challenging...limit it to 5 gig...imo sub 6:59 is super easy...sub 6:59 is a challenge @ 5 gig sort of...i have calculated 6:46 to be realistic @ 5.0 with crappy mem speeds...

A 5.4 chip can do 5:59....now that is a challenge...

What your going to get is just some sloppy high clocked innefeccient score that someone wallet wins just to cash in.

Make it $50 first to 6:59 @ 5gig

$150 first person to 5:59 any speed...

Then you will see impressively tuned proper runs ;)

Edited by chew*