HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Crosshair VI

Hi Angelo, can you give me exact instructions to replicate? CPU Core Voltage = 1.3800V in BIOS + LLC = 4/5. Then set which value in TurboV Core? Voltage reading in CPU-Z? Does the voltage fluctuate between those values or do you get a fixed high/low value?

Jon i will update this when i get home so that i can tell you exactly how to replicate and maybe make a short video of the bug in action.

Regards: Angelo

has anyon else found cpu's that do not like high voltage? I have one X1700X that over 1.4375 as soon as load starts it will blackscreen and 80 code,under this value it is ok.the other one will scale to 1.45V,1.50 is tolerated but no gains in clocks(under water cooling).

not a big problem with voltage with mine, I can run 1.4375 to stabilize 4.1 GHz, but 4.2 won't boot at all, even with 1.5v, and I daren't go any higher, especially when the temperatures seem pretty high considering it's under water with a total of 600mm radiator space.

Hi Angelo, can you give me exact instructions to replicate? CPU Core Voltage = 1.3800V in BIOS + LLC = 4/5. Then set which value in TurboV Core? Voltage reading in CPU-Z? Does the voltage fluctuate between those values or do you get a fixed high/low value?

Finally made it home and had some free time to replicate the bug and film it on video. The Bug happens when booting from Bios at 1.38v and up using LLC 4 or 5 , when i open Turbo V to set the new voltage for v.core , on this video i set v.core in bios at 1.38v and LLC to 4 then boot straight to windows and applied 1.40v v.core in Turbo V but watch closely what happens to the v.core once i aplied the new voltage in Turbo V , it goes hay wire , crazy up and down bouncing from 1.61v to 1.025v to 1.613v to 1.112v to 1.635 to 1.49v back to 1.025v unstable , if i try to run any benchmark or put any load in the cpu it will immediately reboot. see the video attached here. Thank you Jon for all the help.

Edited by chispy

Finally made it home and had some free time to replicate the bug and film it on video. The Bug happens when booting from windows at 1.38v and up using LLC 4 or 5 , when i open Turbo V to set the new voltage for v.core , on this video i set v.core in bios at 1.38v and LLC to 4 then boot straight to windows and applied 1.40v v.core in Turbo V but watch closely what happens to the v.core once i aplied the new voltage in Turbo V , it goes hay wire , crazy up and down bouncing from 1.61v to 1.025v to 1.613v to 1.112v to 1.635 to 1.49v back to 1.025v unstable , if i try to run any benchmark or put any load in the cpu it will immediately reboot. see the video attached here. Thank you Jon for all the help.

Thanks Angelo, can you also confirm the voltage using DMM? I've managed to replicate it but instead my VRM would shut down.

Thanks Angelo, can you also confirm the voltage using DMM? I've managed to replicate it but instead my VRM would shut down.

Right now my DMM it's broken so i cannot confirm the voltage at this moment my friend , but i will try to get a new one or borrow one soon. Good to hear you are able to replicate this bug.

Clear cmos didn't help, I'm gonna try flashback I guess.

Edit: Doesn't work either, I got a Fat32 stick with 0902 bios named "C6H.cap" in the root directory, correct usb port. Pressing the button when system is off, nothing happens, doesn't light up or flash or anything. System still boots to 07. Gonna try another stick.

With this stick it seems to work, I keep u updated.

Flashback did this: Button blinking for a few seconds, then continuous light. I started the PC but same behavior: Booting to 07 and no picture on the screen.

Edited by Masterchief79

I got the system to post again, writing you a little documentation of what happened now. Will edit this below.

1. I downloaded the 1001 BIOS via your link on to my USB stick. It's actually a SD-card with a USB-adapter in one piece, don't know if that may be important - previous updates worked with it though.

2. I quickformated it FAT32, put the file onto it and rebooted my PC. There was more stuff on there, like previous BIOS versions and a XP installer.

3. Entered EZ Flash in the BIOS and selected 1001. Nothing special, it flashed as usual, took about 30 seconds or so. "Update successful, restarting.." or something.

4. "07" error and no Post.

The first two times I tried BIOS Flashback it didn't work, maybe the file was corrupted or something, it only flashed about 4-5 times and went to continuous blue. No flash happened (this was with 0902 btw). I then redownloaded the file and tried the whole thing again. Then it flashed for much longer and in the end went out instead of full blue. Then I could restart my PC again and complete POST.

HOWEVER: The system doesn't recognize any kind of boot manager at the moment. All the HDDs, SSDs, sticks etc. show up and I can boot from my stick (there's a win10 installer on there). My M.2 SSD doesn't work though albeit showing up under drives. I will see if I get that fixed. It might be my bad, the windows install might have put the bootloader onto my USB Stick for some reason - that I formatted for the BIOS flashback.

I edited the bootloader with EasyBCD from another OS and got my M2 working again.

Edited by Masterchief79

Hi all,

at first, thnx for Help Elmo, nice work!

iam testing since 1 week and still this Problem if i try to boot from Windows Stick or SSD. Bios is 0902. Ram Cruical CT8G4DFD8213. Came new today.

Start, Post and Bios are oK. I still can get into Bios no Problem, but if i try to boot its stuck (see the Picture).

rog_asus.jpg

*UPDATE*

tested both bios versions 1001 and 0038, still the Problem :( any other ideas? Greetz

Edited by hbsteddy

I got the system to post again, writing you a little documentation of what happened now. Will edit this below.

1. I downloaded the 1001 BIOS via your link on to my USB stick. It's actually a SD-card with a USB-adapter in one piece, don't know if that may be important - previous updates worked with it though.

2. I quickformated it FAT32, put the file onto it and rebooted my PC. There was more stuff on there, like previous BIOS versions and a XP installer.

3. Entered EZ Flash in the BIOS and selected 1001. Nothing special, it flashed as usual, took about 30 seconds or so. "Update successful, restarting.." or something.

4. "07" error and no Post.

The first two times I tried BIOS Flashback it didn't work, maybe the file was corrupted or something, it only flashed about 4-5 times and went to continuous blue. No flash happened (this was with 0902 btw). I then redownloaded the file and tried the whole thing again. Then it flashed for much longer and in the end went out instead of full blue. Then I could restart my PC again and complete POST.

HOWEVER: The system doesn't recognize any kind of boot manager at the moment. All the HDDs, SSDs, sticks etc. show up and I can boot from my stick (there's a win10 installer on there). My M.2 SSD doesn't work though albeit showing up under drives. I will see if I get that fixed. It might be my bad, the windows install might have put the bootloader onto my USB Stick for some reason - that I formatted for the BIOS flashback.

I edited the bootloader with EasyBCD from another OS and got my M2 working again.

So 1001 is working for you? I re-enabled the downloads until I get further reports.

Edited by elmor

Updated with 1001 and 0038 BIOSes. Same base, where 1001 uses CMD Rate 1T and 0038 uses CMD Rate 2T. Fixes temperature reporting and fan control.

This is my first post here but I just gotta say Elmor, sterling job with BIOS 1001!

I'm using the Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 v5.39 kit and up till now I'd been unable to POST @3200mhz using DOCP Standard, I tried 0038 first and it gave me the same behaviour as 0902 but I decided to take a punt with 1001 with DRAM Startup Voltage @1.4v and it bloody well worked!

It's completely opposite to what I was expecting as 2T should be MORE lenient, but you're not going to hear me complain about it. Keep up the good work mate!

i shutdown my computer earlier and now the board won t boot .(bios 0902)

This is the second times in 2 days.

Yesterday i had to remove psu and battery for a few hours to make it boots again.

I'm having exactly the same problem.

The only way to make is to clear CMOS.

I used the button at the back there.

@elmor

Loading DOCP Standard, then the XMP (3733C17 mems) boots at 3200.

Then, tried raising bclk to see if 3600 will boot (skipping the mem hole) and it didn't boot.

This leads to infinite reboot cycles and the board can't recover. Using clrcmos does not help, turning PSU power off doesn't help. Leaving just one module doesn't help. CPU is on ambient water.

Happens for the second time, will probably need to remove battery again.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

With 1001, I can now use 3200MHz@104,8MHz BCLK for 3350MHz memory clock and PCI-E 3.0 support. Great :)

Max is about 3550 CL14@1,45V. Higher clocks don't work for me, no ratio can boot my sticks 3600MHz+, no matter the voltage or latencies. I'm satisfied, just throwing it out there. Might be the max of the memory, idk.

I think there are some differences in IMC or maybe the Infinity Fabric is the component limiting RAM overclock.

Both my B-die kits can do over 4000 12-11-11 on Intel platform, so definitely capable.

I've also noticed difference between my 1800X and 1700. While 3200 is easy with 1800X, it was on the edge with 1700.

And all scores scale with Infinity Fabric clock which is the same as mem clock.