HWBOT Community Forums

The line between ambient water and chilled/cold

Elkim

• Crew

I am fully with Mr. Scott on the "artificial chilled" thing. I've given my photo to show that counting category by water temp alone is nonsense.

Check the submitting page, its chilled/cold, so yes, he doesnt chilling it, his water is just cold = Apprentice.

During winter I've got tap water around 4-5 degrees. During summer it warms up to 12-13. Opening a window during winter give me some comfortable +14-16 degrees of fresh air. During summer the are days with 14-16 temps. Usually it gets around 20.

So - which of these conditions do you define as not chilled? Yet again - how high do you suggest me to heat the water before cooling the CPU? :D

Or you want to ban tap water cooling?

Mother nature isn't a "chiller".
I'll save these words when some fellow Aussies drop by :D

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because for cold water there is a category while submitting. Is tap water cold? Yes its is. Its just cold water. Whole reason to that is competeability of the whole thing. And main problem is that "ambient" is just wrong word for our problem, we should stop calling it that and replace it with something else.

Ambient in our case is everything but inconstant and its very foldable.

The whole point of the league is to get the people fair chances, I see ambient as something that I live in, I sleep in, I bunny in, I eat it, just a surroundings that is comfortable to man. So yeas if somebody lives in hell, he get AC so he can live better and cool down surrounding area to 20°C. Staying 24/7/365 under 18°C isnt normal and thats not "our ambient".

Ambient watercooling in our case is temp of waterloop which you can sustain by surrounding air temp in which you live in.

I don't know folks, but it makes perfect sense to me how enthusiast league is set and how it is ment but there is just much much much headroom bend it.

That is just way I see it. Remove ambient, it doesnt make sense in our case. Lets just do watercooling and dont give a bunny if its cooled by Nachtfalke'ss chiller to -50°C or mountain spring 4°C water or whatever lol :)

You really need to go eat a snickers and get the fuck over it

Or you want to ban tap water cooling?

Ofc not, just merge apprentice and enthusiast and let watercooling be watercooling. If you wanna win in it, get a chiller or something. Tap water is cool method, I like it and no way I'd want ban anything lol

You cannot merge these 2 ,some want to bench in normal conditions on water and you put them in league with dice cooling ,lol.

It is the biggest comunity,enthusiast, with ~80k users,if you give no hope for higher hierarchy you will loose a lot of users.

22'th place looks better than 3522 place.

Everyone is benching for points,it is a competition where you have to see your progress,otherwise you quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally I have very little experience with cold, a small period with a vapochill and another with dry ice, so 99.99% of my benching is "ambient". I like to compare my scores with other ambient rigs as I can never compete with the upper echelon of LN users etc but when I filter used to find some really good scores listed as air or water cooled , then have a pic of their rig showing LN being used ....

I gave up on points long ago but I do like to see where I compare with my peers, so yes 22nd looks way better than 3522nd.

:)

Just stumbled on this thread last night.

Read all 14 pages and was reminded of the sour taste this whole ambient debate brought out in me last fall during the MSI Ambient contest.

I spent way to much time at my keyboard trying to get the mods to clear away the grey area to no avail, and in the process forgot the pure enjoyment that benching had brought me in the past. The prizes were big $, based on my budget, but the grey area involved in ambient destroyed the enjoyment and brought out a side of me I didn't like. The result of that debacle was a ruined cpu and a very negative attitude, although I did win an MSI hat, keychain, notebook and an open bench table - (open bench table is great, thank you MSI).

I haven't bothered to compete since, other than the Geekbench memory challenge, which was a lot of fun, and the Country Cup in Dec. Maybe I'm just a whiney, sore loser, and clearly need to eat a few more Snickers.

Whatever the case, that was my experience.

After reading this thread, I'd like to remove myself from the Enthusiast class and challenge any of my "class-mates" to move to Apprentice as well. Perhaps there should be a time limit of some sort to stay in Enthusiast.

Anyways, Websmile, or Christian, what is the process to change to Apprentice, and can anyone recommend a budget friendly pot for purchase? It's time for me to learn about cold.

Please excuse my lengthy post.

Just stumbled on this thread last night.

Read all 14 pages and was reminded of the sour taste this whole ambient debate brought out in me last fall during the MSI Ambient contest.

I spent way to much time at my keyboard trying to get the mods to clear away the grey area to no avail, and in the process forgot the pure enjoyment that benching had brought me in the past. The prizes were big $, based on my budget, but the grey area involved in ambient destroyed the enjoyment and brought out a side of me I didn't like. The result of that debacle was a ruined cpu and a very negative attitude, although I did win an MSI hat, keychain, notebook and an open bench table - (open bench table is great, thank you MSI).

I haven't bothered to compete since, other than the Geekbench memory challenge, which was a lot of fun, and the Country Cup in Dec. Maybe I'm just a whiney, sore loser, and clearly need to eat a few more Snickers.

Whatever the case, that was my experience.

After reading this thread, I'd like to remove myself from the Enthusiast class and challenge any of my "class-mates" to move to Apprentice as well. Perhaps there should be a time limit of some sort to stay in Enthusiast.

Anyways, Websmile, or Christian, what is the process to change to Apprentice, and can anyone recommend a budget friendly pot for purchase? It's time for me to learn about cold.

Please excuse my lengthy post.

It is a very positive ( sad though ) post, that reflects 110% the anomalies of the Enthusiast league.

Im even with extreme status still more times to benching on water (ambient 30C/25C Air Conditioner). What make people worried to not to change status to Apprentice? I just dont get this.

but I do like to see where I compare with my peers, so yes 22nd looks way better than 3522nd.

That's why.

So just disable competition for Enthusiast League can fixing it?

So then, alienate a whole league from comps? Will that be good for HWB do you think?

There is no easy fix other than everybody plays on the same field except Pro's/sponsored, which is what I've been saying for years now. You want to be competitive for comps, you need to step up your game.

Edited by Mr.Scott

Makes me wonder.

Besides Hilderman, who expressed in a simple, yet crystal clear way, his thoughts, NO ONE, none from the top ten enthusiast players has come forward to defend their league ( and the way of cooling ).

Strange.

" Diamonds and Pearls " exist in the enthusiast league ( submissions wise ).

A 6950X, ten core cpu, running at 4.6ghz, XTU ( yes XTU ), on ambient water, at 1.55Volts ( yes, 1.55Volts ).

When I simply questioned the fellow member ( no report from my side ), how is this possible, he linked me to a video on YouTube, showing a vague Closed Box PC, under a TV set, in the house, with 25 ambient, and a run on the monitor of XTU.

Asked him how can this be possible and got this answer :

" You still have a lot to learn buddy ".

Cool.

Lets carry on.

Still 1985 pages of posts to go, before reaching the inevitable dead end.

Come over from the dark side Luke. You will find peace :)

As soon as my single stage is done,will do. I still have some vga pots remained so it should be good for me in apprentice but after this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro