HWBOT Community Forums

GIGABYTE Summer Spectacular 2017 Discussion

mllrkllr88

Bummer deal SI, sorry it didn't work out for you :( I had the exact same results with external VRM on memory, not even 1 MHz more. I never tested my core with a normal FB vmod but I have a feeling the gain from external VRM on the core was pretty small.

Come to think of it...I binned a few cards for someone and I noticed the score was WELL below what it should have been on one of them. I didn't pay close attention to the score since I was binning for clocks, but I wonder, something is going on with these cards....

Too bad you were not able to at least get a token sub in for the lucky draw...

ya I was just so frustrated that I was doing so bad I didnt even take a screeny. If I came in 2nd I was going to donate the board to you guys since gigabyte already sent me one, so I was also not trying for lucky draw.

I only pre-tested on air for ice storm because I am so familiar with catzilla, and I just didnt notice the score, I figured once my clocks were ln2 clocks it would be ok, but I forgot how small these scores scale with clocks on these type of cards. I figured I was missing a ice storm tweak but that wasnt it, once I saw Cat score.

I looked up a stock gt 710 cat 720p score and it was like 2200 and at close to 2k core 1450 mem I was getting about 2900, couldnt even crack 3k. Seems really odd. Seems in line with a 710.

Should have taken screenshots to show you guys, but everything in gpuz window was normal.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Strong Island

Did you ever try flashing a different bios? Possibly some of these cards shipped with an early release inefficient bios or maybe the memory timings were messed up in the bios.

I just restored my GT730 back to the stock VRM. I want to start messing with the bios on my card and see if I can figure out why my memory wont overclock beyond 1380. My card has Samsung memory (2x512 GDDR5) and others with a similar configuration were running 1500+ stock votls.

@Strong Island

Did you ever try flashing a different bios? Possibly some of these cards shipped with an early release inefficient bios or maybe the memory timings were messed up in the bios.

I just restored my GT730 back to the stock VRM. I want to start messing with the bios on my card and see if I can figure out why my memory wont overclock beyond 1380. My card has Samsung memory (2x512 GDDR5) and others with a similar configuration were running 1500+ stock votls.

well I originally edited my bios so I could go over 1900mhz, so I thought that was the issue and so I tried flashing back the original while I was cold and that didnt help.

But I should have thought of trying a different bios than the one on the card, I have never had a bios effect my score by almost 100% so I didnt even think about it, it's a good thought. I should have spent more time testing.

• Administrators

It was a decent competition, nontheless I am very disappointed by the participation, it would have deserved a lot more guys and the hardware needed was affordable and often already part of stock people had. Maybe time for comps with prices is over...

Congratulation to the benchers who participated and the winners, good job :)

i think it was too restricted for extreme members and too hard for non extreme members (moding needed) + useless HW -> you know what i mean..

Throw money out of window for useless GPU and too mutch expensive CPU whitch is not usefull in real world = low participation.

Wish i had more modding skill :-)

It was a decent competition, nontheless I am very disappointed by the participation, it would have deserved a lot more guys and the hardware needed was affordable and often already part of stock people had. Maybe time for comps with prices is over...

Congratulation to the benchers who participated and the winners, good job :)

The 730 is pretty expensive for how slow it is. The 7350K is not cheap enough for a lot of people.

I agree, the turnout for this one was very underwhelming. I expected to see lots of people in this one because of the prizes and the two competition classes.

As others have said I think there were a few small financial hurdles but I got my card for $50 so it was not a big investment. I think the biggest reason there were not more participants is because there are so many other competitions going on right now... I almost didn't participate in this one myself because of the other events going on, so I suspect timing was a huge factor.

• Administrators

There is nothing I have to defend on the hardware here because the Gigabyte series is one of the few competitions on which I had no ifluence on hardware selection. But I disagree on the statements about hardware being too expensive and useless

1. The 730GT is 50-60 Euros new at shops, on Ebay it sells for 35-40 often, even if you sell it for 30 you had 20 Euros invested for a decent competition

2. On the 7350K, the cpu is not cheap at 160-180 euros now. But we are at hwbot and we talk about the fastest dual core cpu now and most likely for a long time. Every bencher who does competitions and ranking benching will have to use this for years most likely. Other than on 1151, which now is beaten by Intel´s decision to move a quad core to HEDT X299 (facepalm) it is useable on enthusiast platform, it is unlocked and it will be most likely most performant dual core for years!. It is needed for Challanger div 3, it is and was used for tons of other comps including vendor sponsored stuff in the past and maybe in the future as well. While your 7700K in terms of dominance was killed by Intel´s decision to release the 7740K not even 5 months after official release of KabyLake the 7350K is still best of its class and most likely will be for years.

Thanks for the great competition. I know participation seemed low, but everyone that joined I am sure learnt a tonne (good or bad) and for the ambient category it was so close the whole way. So well done to everyone.

For me, this was a challenge to try new benchmarks I have never run before. I am very greatful to those that helped me out in learning these, and also the bios on the Gigabyte board (I am a gigabyte n00b). This is what makes our hobby great, new challenges and a supportive community.

Thanks to Gigabyte for their continued support in the overclocking scene, and Websmile as always for his difficult job overseeing these.

If I had to guess, maybe it's the the competition date that's so close to Computex, that made every high-profile ocer attending the tradeshow can't really bench properly during that time.

Anyway, I learn a great deal about e-powering the GT 730 during this competition, Thanks a lot to Gigabyte hosting these kind of competition, and to Websmile who's working hard to moderate the competitions.

Congratulations to the winners, see you on the Ryzen Competition ;)

Thank you to mllrkllr88 we enjoyed working on this competition, obviously massive thanks to Gigabyte for the great competition and amazing prizes, and last but certainly not least was Websmile for his endless work to make the competition fair for everyone.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole competition.

• 1 month later...
Did everyone get their prizes? I am still waiting! #TheFrustrationIsReal

They all have their prizes.

You like Allen on the first competition you will receive them later because there's a shortage on the VGAs because of mining.

I will ship it when I will receive it.

They all have their prizes.

You like Allen on the first competition you will receive them later because there's a shortage on the VGAs because of mining.

I will ship it when I will receive it.

Constructive feedback here - Would it not be easier for all parties to have the prizes on hand before the competition start to make sure it is all covered for the end? Just disappointed.

I understand it's not always possible, but surely there is better ways