HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT Team Cup 2017 Discussion

max1024

first thing we need to adress is the availability of the hardware list, preferably at least 2-3 weeks before compo starts. So competitors can search fleabay and co to get the required hardware.

How did you guys like it this year? less exotic requirements for motherboards, CPUs and co. Even some stages could be perfectly done on just water/chilled cooling setups

Honestly it was really good. All the older hardware was reasonably common and therefore no trouble to get hold of, it had something for everyone, and IMO stages like AM2 + HD 3000 3DMark03 were really well balanced. It really shows that a lot of thought went into it, I think it worked out really well as a result and I want to say that I really appreciate that.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first thing we need to adress is the availability of the hardware list, preferably at least 2-3 weeks before compo starts. So competitors can search fleabay and co to get the required hardware.

How did you guys like it this year? less exotic requirements fopr motherboards, CPUs and co. Even some stages could be perfectly done on just water/chilled cooling setups

I propose a MARS / ARES only Stage next year :P

• Crew

Thanks for the heads up Griff, appreciate that :celebration:

So for 2018 competitions (not only Team Cup) you guys would love to see:

-in due time hardware requirements

-different backgrounds per stage

-different finishing times per stage

-implement a points reward for the leader ranking at a defined moment during the compo

-avoid that multiple competitions end at the same time (server stress)

-only exotic MARS and ARES cards for the collectors :P

I was thinking of proposing to the compo designer:

-a Xeon round (seems so popular)

-imposing a limitation on cores (max 12-14 cores, to lower cost)

Did I forget something ?

Edited by Leeghoofd

• Administrators

A lot of this can be done, but some of it was not necessary this time. Core count limit was determined by start date and platforms allowed to 10 this time, on country cup we already have different ending times of stages last years, and we plan to avoid that several big comps end at same time and failed again despite making clear how much this would be needed (cough). The points reward at a defined moment gets harder with number of stages, we tested this already at other competitions with points or prizes and this might cause trouble. If it is easier now to handle technically we could try this again.

I see no reason for different backgrounds, and on a competition that runs 3 months and was announced before start time should be no problem to get hardware I think.

On a Xeon/Opteron only stage, this could be introduced but people usually forget that the community asked for server hardware excluded from competitions and hwbot did it because of this, so popularity is with the guys who cry the loudest and not majority^^. On a standalone stage which does not mix stuff and uses an older platform, it makes sense nontheless.

Thanks for the heads up Griff, appreciate that :celebration:

So for 2018 competitions (not only Team Cup) you guys would love to see:

-in due time hardware requirements

-different backgrounds per stage

-different finishing times per stage

-implement a points reward for the leader ranking at a defined moment during the compo

-avoid that multiple competitions end at the same time (server stress)

-only exotic MARS and ARES cards for the collectors :P

I was thinking of proposing to the compo designer:

-a Xeon round (seems so popular)

-imposing a limitation on cores (max 12-14 cores, to lower cost)

Did I forget something ?

Only thing I would change from this is to award a points award at an undefined time.

All else looks great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On a Xeon/Opteron only stage, this could be introduced but people usually forget that the community asked for server hardware excluded from competitions and hwbot did it because of this, so popularity is with the guys who cry the loudest and not majority^^. On a standalone stage which does not mix stuff and uses an older platform, it makes sense nontheless.

Xeon 771 on 775 platform would make a lot of "sense" if allowed.

they are easy to get, so they're not reserved to a "cast", and are pluggable as any 775 cpu. Plus they add fun to the challenge !

Xeon 771 on 775 platform would make a lot of "sense" if allowed.

they are easy to get, so they're not reserved to a "cast", and are pluggable as any 775 cpu. Plus they add fun to the challenge !

Don't even bother, web hates the idea of "enterprise ruining our OC". He doesn't think that server hw has any place on hwbot and would outright ban it if he could. Some people you just can't argue with.

• Administrators

You can use as much server hardware or engineering samples as you want - but not at competitions. As long as people are unable to understand that making a time limit or exception for this will just lead to more chaos I can live with this, especially because I overclocked UPs already when others did not even know what overclocking is xD

Hi all,

I benched my 7950 for 3d11 stage 5 and took the latest driver available from AMD website. I saw two with same package size but newer version on the first 17.11.4 (11/29/2017) marked as optional, instead of the second 17.11.1 (11/13/2017).

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2064#

I made sure I used latest 3d11 bench, and latest 5.3 system info.

But I have later realized that first driver 17.11.4 is non whql, and second is.

Since I used the latest, 3d11 verification link now complains graphic driver is not supported ; too recent to be added ? Should I get worried ?

I checked the 3d11 rules

https://hwbot.org/news/8624_application_29_rules/

and

http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/country_cup_2017/3991/3s-30p_%7C_3dmark11_performance

and saw no mention about driver revision requirements hence didn't get concerned about using the latest driver available on AMD website...

What's the story gonna be?

Cheers

Edited by bolc

• Administrators

http://hwbot.org/article/general_rules

Please read the general rules to avoid questions like this in the future again. You can use the drivers, and unlike fm we accept official and beta drivers of all kind that directly offered by amd or nvidia, so there is no problem to use these and when fm shows driver is not supported hwbot doesnt care