HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT Team Cup 2017 Discussion

max1024

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in any case, this teamcup surely emulates members and/to attracts some new folks, this is at least what I/we try to do in my team.

Yeah this has been a great aspect of it. A lot of people on /r/overclocking have gone cold or colder for the team cup, and since putting a callout for RX 480s on the subreddit we've had an amazing response and got a fair few new people signed up. I'm sure other teams have had the same.

I wonder why there is an mvp individual price at a team competition anyway, it looks as if hunting for this becomes more important than boosting the team^^

As a test to see what team really practices team work and puts the TEAM before personal pride instead of battling among them selves ;)

well, are the few prices given to warp9 and overclock.net supposed to be enough...? are you gonna give bonus points to the team?

for individual competition, there is a price + points, why should this be different? yeah, I know, spoiled brats...

I'm not going to win ANYTHING by competing since it's a solo effort from me concerning my team yet I'm in a few of the stages.

And why do you say W9 and OCN has already won prizes?

With respect:

Correct me if I'm wrong with that but it looks that way from what you said and this one isn't over yet you know.

As for the brat reference you're way off base with the guys from both teams.

BTW I was a member of the W9 contingent back when we were Team CP and can directly say prizes were never our motivation for competing, it was about doing our best as I'm doing now all on my own.

No chance in hell of winning anything yet I'm still in where I can be with what I do have. :o

in any case, this teamcup surely emulates members and/to attracts some new folks, this is at least what I/we try to do in my team. but yeay, a little reward does not hurt either...

Nothing wrong with that and maybe it will attract new competitors, maybe your team will succeed and do just that.

I will say if you're doing it for the prizes and nothing else you've missed the point of it all.

I know some do it for those reasons and that's fine, however it's supposed to be about the spirit of competition itself in measuring up to the challenge.

Edited by Bones

I definitely have to agree... Getting into it for the prizes is a complete loss scenario... It's a hobby. While winning (or even getting a podium finish in a single stage!) is a nice bonus at the end, I'd greatly prefer just having fun throughout the event, getting advice from teammates (and hopefully being able to help others out), and enjoying various challenges (blech, SuperPi, so "boring" (yet I've spent two dozen hours working on it), I want my gigantic cats rampaging through cities back! :P ).

For me, it's all about enjoying the ride, and what it brings, even if it's just LET fumes. At least this new stuff smells nicer than the old stuff I used! I used to be worried about constantly moving up in the standings, but now I prefer to just focus on learning while improving, since it's a much more enjoyable experience to me.

And to those talking about how the current two leaders "have it already in the bag", the last week, and especially the last 24 hours, is where the show really starts. Been many a competition where OCN's been at the top, or near the top, and surprise maneuvers near the end have changed that rather quickly....

And to those talking about how the current two leaders "have it already in the bag", the last week, and especially the last 24 hours, is where the show really starts. Been many a competition where OCN's been at the top, or near the top, and surprise maneuvers near the end have changed that rather quickly....

So very very true. It has been proven many times.

It all boils down to the last 24hrs when the sleeper teams emerge :D

JUST HAVE FUN!!!

The Team Cup has always been a success in terms of participation, even during those years when there weren't any prizes at all. I'd honestly be surprised if there were any among us who were "in it for the prizes," so to speak.

Thanks at least in part to the Team Cup, I've been able to recruit three new members to our tiny team since July, in addition to eliciting participation from a few long-dormant team members. That, to me, is the whole point of this thing.

We are just having fun with old stuff here and that is great IMHO. Some of us can't afford to play with the new stuff.

I'm only able to play with newer things because of hand-me-downs from gaming rig upgrades. I'm definitely glad to have seen you guys put in one hell of a fight!

I do not envy Mr. Websmiles job right now.

I see subs with missing requirements. There will be some unhappy people.

Yeah, that has to be quite the tough job... Sorting through not only all of the reports, but every single submission to ensure it's a valid one.

• Administrators

I guess I will not moderate team cup so results are more or less the way they are- for months now servers and platforms are so slow it is unbearable. I need 5-10 minutes to check three results atm because everything else is more important than hwbot´s key competence to offer fast submission, fast check and fast calculation of results. It is practically impossible to work on an environment like this, with team cup, 8 divisions and galax qualifier ending this weekend and I need 90 minutes to check top 10 at one stage... Sorry, but this will not work... maybe I try tomorrow if I have time which I now have and tomorrow normally not

Edited by websmile

Congratulations to all teams that participated.

Great showing by all.

Super proud to be part of Warp-9 team ...

Websmiles has nothing else to do... J/K :D

Thank you bot for the opportunity to compete against some fantastic team...

However with all that said; I realize that sites tend to lag because of users on it, but need to really look into the eSports pages. On a regular its very slow to load/refresh, but last night was just unbelievably ridiculous. From about 24hr prior to end was only able to get it in just 2 subs (some my error) but the waiting/loading/timed out/etc was bananas...

But in the end it was fun.

Thank you :celebration:

I guess I will not moderate team cup so results are more or less the way they are- for months now servers and platforms are so slow it is unbearable. I need 5-10 minutes to check three results atm because everything else is more important than hwbot´s key competence to offer fast submission, fast check and fast calculation of results. It is practically impossible to work on an environment like this, with team cup, 8 divisions and galax qualifier ending this weekend and I need 90 minutes to check top 10 at one stage... Sorry, but this will not work... maybe I try tomorrow if I have time which I now have and tomorrow normally not

Can't blame you one bit. Can only slam your head into the wall so many times on purpose.

• Administrators

We have obviously come a long way at hwbbot when people have nothing better to do than report scores at a non cooling limited and non-vendor restricted competition for a rig pic they do not like or that is missing. Nice to see fair play is still alive :D - I will not block this, never did last years. I thought we are on a better way

What causes more trouble is people exceeding limits at xtu , forgetting link at time spy or backgrounds. When I finish divisions next days I will recalculate ranking of team cup as well, but not much should change despite the fact I blocked some score from top team for example at 3ds

I do not envy Mr. Websmiles job right now.

I see subs with missing requirements. There will be some unhappy people.

"Selected" rules for "Selected" teams/users is the new name of HWBot.

RULES ARE RULES FOR ALLLLLLLLLLL

When a sub from me or from my team misses something, this sub is immediately removed. This not happen for these "selected" teams/users..

@Leeghoofd if photo of the rig is required, you must put photo of the rig, not something similar. If there isn't photo of the rig, the sub must be removed, there's no way out.

If this doesn't happen we need to talk about it and clarify it.

Can you translate plz in Italian too ? Sigh man, this reporting has just ruined my dinner with some good friends...

Hi, english is quite international language, I do not need any translation.

We are not "sigh man" as you say. We will live on anyway even if we lose third place in the cup, but we pretend that rules must be respected.

Don't call us sigh man, you're going to win the conpetition anyway, but some subs have to be eliminated. So who is sighing?

:)

• Crew

Well enlighten me what you don't get in this post from Webmsile...

We have obviously come a long way at hwbot when people have nothing better to do than report scores at a non cooling limited and non-vendor restricted competition for a rig pic they do not like or that is missing. Nice to see fair play is still alive - I will not block this, never did last years. I thought we are on a better way

So, I did actually report a couple of submissions immediately after they were submitted in the hopes there might be time for a rebench to produce some screenshots that weren't total lemons. Sadly that hasn't happened but what can you do if a team sits on all their scores for a month then posts them at the last minute? Ending up not having chance to correct silly mistakes should be the price you pay.

I'm not sure if it would affect the overall ranking at all if some of these were dealt with properly. Certainly I know it wouldn't help my team's rank, which is great because I really wouldn't want to gain from that.

Here's the thing. No-one is accusing anyone of actual cheating here. But people make mistakes and the "idiot tax" that results from that needs to be applied fairly.

When I ran cinebench on a 1280x1024 monitor I was careful to make sure the entire rendered image was visible, along with window titles cpu-z version and the score. This meant the ranking graph was covered up, which I didn't think would be a problem - turns out it was. I'm fine with that and grateful to websmile for looking through the scores early on so I had time to sort out a bigger monitor and rebench. Now it seems another user benched around the same time and came up with this, which they sat on until the last day: https://d1ebmxcfh8bf9c.cloudfront.net/u8676/image_id_1907172.png

Now, we all trust and respect the guy who posted this score. I'm certain they haven't cheated. But surely sandbagging shouldn't let you off the idiot tax? Similar with this 3dmark06 score, the window title is actually explicitly circled in the example screenshot but this totally obscures it: https://d1ebmxcfh8bf9c.cloudfront.net/u7643/image_id_1909354.jpeg Cheat? I doubt it. Silly mistake? Yes, and having sat on the score for long enough that there's no chance to rebench shouldn't give a pass.

Again, I really hope not to personally benefit from these scores being dealt with appropriately, but they should be dealt with the same as anyone else's. Unless these are genuinely completely acceptable screenshots, in which case I challenge the hwbot staff to replace the example screenshots with them. If you wouldn't do that, clearly they aren't acceptable and while we know these particular scores haven't been cheated on they should still be subject to the idiot tax.

As for system pics, I hope no-one has lost a score over those for this comp.

Edited by mickulty