HWBOT Community Forums

Have a single or a few stages for Xeons and titans

Jumper118

I'm all for a server only comp if thats what it will be.

If there is to be a comp featuring Desktop as well as server hw then thats a different comp.

Lets try to get our feet wet first by setting up a server hw only comp, can even have stages for single socket as well as a mix of Dual-socket, Triple-socket, Quad-socket, Octo-socket and my favorite Crazy-socket (anything over 8 cpus :D). Stages for older platforms leading up to more recent stuff. I know there are plenty of folks that have their dual-370, dual-462 and even older plus the Sr-2's and newer... well you get the idea theres plenty of server platforms out there that can be represented to get folks involved.

This way we can see how many participants are willing to throw in on a server comp.

So to get this ball rolling,

How many stages of 3D & 2D should there be?

What benchmarks?

How long should the comp run? 30days, 60days, ??days?.

What platforms to feature this go around?

I know we can come together n create a great n fun comp for many.... ;)

I know not everyone will be happy, but that is something that will never change with any comp.

:celebration:

I think that if we did a server focused comp it'd be okay to allow prosumer chips. A heavily OC'd 4960x will still get crushed by a 12c/24t in cinebench for example, especially if you push ram and inch that bclk up for that extra couple % OC and if that stage allowed 2p it'd be even bigger. Also I'd really like to be able to use "consumer" chips that are basically server hw in relevant stages, for example the qx9775 in a 771 stage, or quad fx in a socket f stage (I know it's technically socket FX but how else would you work it into a comp? There is literally one, very hard to find, board on the socket)

I think a couple stages that might be good, especially in an early comp would be lga 1366 and lga 771 as they're 2 popular "server" sockets that both have a lot of 2p boards. Then also if we want to include SLI then either something a little older like 2x GTX 400 series or lowest SLI/CF Time Spy Score which coincidentally would probably also be fermi combined with Bulldozer (Pre-dozer doesn't have SSSE3, otherwise I've got a Phenom 9600 that would love to compete....) Anyways, those are just some ideas I had. I'd love to see something like this come together, especially now that I'm accumulating more 2p platforms. Although I know I wouldn't be too interested in more than 4p as 8p server boards are ridiculously expensive as I've mentioned before. You can buy a brand new car for the money you have to invest in a used one.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just my idea,A mix from 2D and 3D

like:

2D

stage 1 : Pifast / superpi 32m / x265 4K

Stage 2 : Wprime / CB11.5 / CB15

Stage 3 : Hwbotprime / y-cruncher / GPUPI

3D

stage 1 : 3d03 / 3d 06 / fire strike

Stage 2 : vantage / 3dm11 / Time spy

Stage 3 : Gpupi ( as many gpu's thad board / os support ) :)

d5400xs , dual fx welcome :)

Edited by skulstation

This is just my idea,A mix from 2D and 3D

like:

2D

stage 1 : Pifast / superpi 32m / x265 4K

Stage 2 : Wprime 32m / CB11.5 / CB15

Stage 3 : Hwbotprime / y-cruncher / GPUPI

3D

stage 1 : 3d03 / 3d 06 / fire strike

Stage 2 : vantage / 3dm11 / Time spy

Stage 3 : Gpupi ( as many gpu's thad board / os support ) :)

d5400xs , dual fx welcome :)

I think that it may be a good idea to stick with multithreaded benchmarks to keep with the spirit of server hw, so no 3dmark older than 06 or superpi for example. I also like whycruncher, especially if it's 10b as needing ungodly amounts of ram is a very serveresque requirement for a bench :) Also really liking the gpupi stage, might be time to break out some splitters, especially on some of server boards with higher amounts of pci-e lanes.

I think that it may be a good idea to stick with multithreaded benchmarks to keep with the spirit of server hw, so no 3dmark older than 06 or superpi for example. I also like whycruncher, especially if it's 10b as needing ungodly amounts of ram is a very serveresque requirement for a bench :) Also really liking the gpupi stage, might be time to break out some splitters, especially on some of server boards with higher amounts of pci-e lanes.

The 3D03 / 06 ar for the oldskoolers whit agp / pci gpu's :)

For y-cruncher the 10b or 10b+ is ok for me, 25m and 1b ar way to easy :)

The 3D03 / 06 ar for the oldskoolers whit agp / pci gpu's :)

For y-cruncher the 10b or 10b+ is ok for me, 25m and 1b ar way to easy :)

As long as you have enough ram 10b only takes like 30 minutes or less, but still a nice "server" benchmark. Also would be fun to see some multithreaded benchmarks like cb get and gpupi get murdered by hcc systems. But yeah, I'm just thinking that it'd be silly to do superpi 32m on lga 2011 for example or 3d03. But on some older platforms like skull trail, quad fx or even just period xeons and opterons with like gtx 8000 series or something would be fun and keep the enthusiasts happy with all the volt modding they'd need to do.

Definitely liking where were going.

Dont quite understand how Pifast / superpi 32m would be a fit in such a heavily multithreaded comp.

Any specific socket limitations anywhere? Or bring/run what you got?

pifast and superpi ar not real demanded. just a idea if someone like to run some singel thread bench

I like the bring what you can bench

Definitely liking where were going.

Dont quite understand how Pifast / superpi 32m would be a fit in such a heavily multithreaded comp.

Any specific socket limitations anywhere? Or bring/run what you got?

I think socket limitation and maybe max #cpus, like no more than 2 or something, would be a good limitation. Cause if I bench my quad fx it won't be very fun vs lga 2011. I think 2 really good sockets would be lga 771 and 1366, as they have some really nice OC boards, but you can also be fairly competitive even with a "cheap" oem board. For example my supermicro 771 2p board cost me $35 and it was $5 each for 4c xeons. It won't be competitive with my qx 9775s on skulltrail, but it should be really competitive with a pin mod qx9775 on x48 in heavy threaded benches, and will crush it in whycruncher 10b as the board supports 48 gb of ram if you wanted to find 8gb ddr2 non-fb ecc dimms, and actually would probably even be competitive with skulltrail in that one as iirc skull trail only supports 16 gb of fb ecc ddr2.

So like:

Stage 1

LGA 771 GPUPI

Stage 2

LGA 1366 CB15

Stage 3

LGA 2011 x265 1080p or 4k

Stage 4

Either Highest SLI/CF Vantage score or lowest Time Spy SLI/CF score

If we want to test it out with just a private comp we'll be limited to the 1st 3 stages and a 14 day comp, otherwise I think 30 days if it's 4-5 stage comp by hwbot, and 90 days if we do a lot more stages.

Cooling limits or all ok?

The Original 2011 only or up to and including 2011-3?

I don't think there's a need for cooling limits, and original lga 2011 (socket r) we could also do socket r3, lga 2011-3, for a stage but I think that's not quite old enough for the cpus to be properly "cheap" for anyone. I know I don't want to invest $1k+ per cpu for a 2p 2x 22c system on top of the oc boards being $500, although there may be interest in it. Also might be a good idea to do separate comps per socket. So do the 3 benches on 1366, 771, 2011, etc

Besides intel xeons there are AMD opterons that need their spot in the light too ;).

Problem with me is, I wouldnt know what bench to match to what socket to appeal to as many as possible.

2011-3

G34

Dont put limits on cpu count. The whole point of a server comp also includes the fact that multiple cpus can be used :D

Besides intel xeons there are AMD opterons that need their spot in the light too ;).

Problem with me is, I wouldnt know what bench to match to what socket to appeal to as many as possible.

2011-3

G34

Dont put limits on cpu count. The whole point of a server comp also includes the fact that multiple cpus can be used :D

Yeah, I was more saying limit to the amount that the normal HEDT/Server socket supports. I don't think very many people out of the niche market that is server OC want to mess with LGA 1567 or LGA 2011-1. But I also can agree with opteron stages. I think there's some supermicro g34 boards, even 4p, that allow bclk OC and there are supposedly even some unlocked es opterons. Also don't forget socket f/fx (FX is a different socket but we should throw it in with socket f as there is literally 1 board using it) and c32. The nice thing about AMD servers as well is their arches have remaing bclk OC friendly while sandy bridge and newer really aren't. So even if most opterons are locked they can pretty much all be OC'd.

As for what benches I think that if we do whycruncher 10b then we should do it on a platform that's not too hard to have at least 40gb of ram, so pretty much anything ddr3 should have no issue. And the encoding benches that use newer instructions like x265 might be better to use on newer arches, or still on old arches to show how much you can brute force it with a bunch of cores :) to still compete with a 7700k. Other than that I think as long as it's well multithreaded and scales all the way to as many core as are possible on the platform any bench should be good on any platform.

Also it may be a good idea to dedicate a comp to a platform, so if someone doesn't already have a platform, ex. I don't have g34 yet but wouldn't mind picking one up to compete, then they only have to worry about a single platform. Also you get more of a chance to learn the platform than if it's something different every stage. For example team comp I pretty much had to learn lga 1155 in an hour or 2 and try to get a good score out of 2 benches due to my procrastibagging/benching everything else first, however if 1155 was all I had to do the whole comp then I might've had a better OC and learned more of the platform.

Yes we do want to get this official, but as mentioned best set for after ROG & Country Cup.

I really wanted to represent as many sever sockets as possible, but there is no way this go around. Maybe next comp we could do all the older platforms like slot-1/2, socket-8 etc but for this go at it lets see how many will play :D

No cooling limitations. A pain to verify anyway.

Stage 1:

SINGLE SOCKET (0ne CPU)

939 (opterons only) SP1

G34 x265 1080P

775 (xeon only) PiFast

2011 x265 4K

STAGE 2:

DUAL SOCKET (2 CPUs)

940 = 3DM03 (any single GPU)

G34 = 3DM06 (any single GPU)

1207 = 3DM11 (any single GPU)

771 = Fire Strike (any single GPU)

1366 = Vantage ( no limit on GPU count)

2011 = GPUpi (no limit on GPU count)

STAGE 3

TRIPLE SOCKET (3 CPUs)

Any socket that can run 3 CPUs = GPUpi 1B for CPU

Stage 4

Quad Socket (4 PUs)

1207 CB15

G34 y-cruncher 10b

2011 GeekBench Multi-Core

1567 Wprime1024

Stage 5

Bring what you got, no number of cpu limits any server socket(s) goes ;)

1: GPUpi 100m

2: RealBench HWbot

3: CB11

I'm not good at knowing what 3D bench works best in conjunction with what socket, hope I got it.

If its good with you guys, (i'll wait a few days first ) I'll speak with Websmiles to see if this could be setup.

I hope we can come together to get this going.

Edited by mr.paco

Yes we do want to get this official, but as mentioned best set for after ROG & Country Cup.

I really wanted to represent as many sever sockets as possible, but there is no way this go around. Maybe next comp we could do all the older platforms like slot-1/2, socket-8 etc but for this go at it lets see how many will play :D

No cooling limitations. A pain to verify anyway.

Stage 1:

SINGLE SOCKET (0ne CPU)

939 (opterons only) SP1

G34 x265 1080P

775 (xeon only) PiFast

2011 x265 4K

STAGE 2:

DUAL SOCKET (2 CPUs)

940 = 3DM03 (any single GPU)

G34 = 3DM06 (any single GPU)

1207 = 3DM11 (any single GPU)

771 = Fire Strike (any single GPU)

1366 = Vantage ( no limit on GPU count)

2011 = GPUpi (no limit on GPU count)

STAGE 3

TRIPLE SOCKET (3 CPUs)

Any socket that can run 3 CPUs = GPUpi 1B for CPU

Stage 4

Quad Socket (4 PUs)

1207 CB15

G34 y-cruncher 1b

2011 GeekBench Multi-Core

1567 Wprime1024

Stage 5

Bring what you got, no number of cpu limits any server socket(s) goes ;)

1: GPUpi 100m

2: RealBench HWbot

3: CB11

I'm not good at knowing what 3D bench works best in conjunction with what socket, hope I got it.

If its good with you guys, (i'll wait a few days first ) I'll speak with Websmiles to see if this could be setup.

I hope we can come together to get this going.

Pretty good list, just 1 recommendation, for Whycruncher do 10b as the ram requirements for 1b are kinda lame (4 GB) as opposed to 10b's proper server ram requirement (40gb). Especially on 4p it shouldn't be too much to ask the competitors to run a boatload of ram.

Other than that my only question is does pin mod qx9775 count as a xeon? :P

Pretty good list, just 1 recommendation, for Whycruncher do 10b as the ram requirements for 1b are kinda lame (4 GB) as opposed to 10b's proper server ram requirement (40gb). Especially on 4p it shouldn't be too much to ask the competitors to run a boatload of ram.

Other than that my only question is does pin mod qx9775 count as a xeon? :P

No problem. Done.

Should be really fun, I'll be super interested in this comp if it goes. Although we'll have to see for 4p if I can sub all stages. Should have a lot of fun on 2p and 1p.

Cool :cool:...

Any one interested and has an idea on anything they would like to see added, removed &/or changed this go around, please voice your thoughts. The more input the better.

Really would like to this happen :)

Any thoughts on a theme name?

Should it be a TEAM comp or a MEMBER comp?

Cool :cool:...

Any one interested and has an idea on anything they would like to see added, removed &/or changed this go around, please voice your thoughts. The more input the better.

Really would like to this happen :)

Any thoughts on a theme name?

Should it be a TEAM comp or a MEMBER comp?

I think it may be easier to do single member, as having that much server hw on a team may be hard. However I've noticed the team comps get more engagement because of the team nature. Like I know that there's a lot of single comps that I stay out of cause I don't have time but I'll make time for a team comp for the most part.

For theme name I had an idea of either something like Double Vision or maybe something along the lines of Mo' CPUs Mo' Problems, just to through some ideas at the wall. Probably something the conveys multiple cpus or something.