HWBOT Community Forums

Have a single or a few stages for Xeons and titans

Jumper118

Those look like pretty good stages, personally I don't mind restricting to specific chips for each round as xeons and opterons are fairly cheap for me. Although I don't know how it is outside of US, hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to get specific cpus. Also it may help participation if the socket count is more of a limit than a requirement. For example if I have a kickass x58 board but no sr-2, I can still try to beat people with 12c/24t on sr-2's and hope I can clock 6c/12t high enough to make up for it. Also, are ES allowed? For a lot of these platforms that would be nice, especially on g34 with the unlocked opterons, although for example on lga 2011-3 I can understand banning it as there are ES 24c cpus that can be found, albeit rarely, so they'll crush for like cb15 vs the slightly more common retail max core count of 22c.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely nothing wrong with restricting to specific CPU cores or GPU in it self, was referring to how GPUs are restricted along with the restricted CPUs.

As for ES chips. I cant say either way :o

But at the end of the day; what ever brings em in works for me ;)

Edited by mr.paco

ES allowed or not? For example G34 Opterons ES have unlocked multiplier which makes them very OC friendly. :D

Btw - I think you meant socket 1207 (not 1277) and Opteron Interlagos (BD gen1) instead of Istanbul for G34 stage.

Thanks for the corrections! And yes, all of your interpretations of what I meant to say have been correct. Sorry I couldn't be more clear in the first place!

In my personal opinion, I would be in favour of ES chips being allowed for this. It is an OC competition, after all.

Personally I wouldn't have limited so much like specific cpu cores AND/WITH a specific gpus.

That's a good point. I do like the notion of retaining some element of era-appropriateness, so how about opening up the GPU requirements to say 2-3 eligible generations per stage rather than forcing just the one? Would that help?

That's a good point. I do like the notion of retaining some element of era-appropriateness, so how about opening up the GPU requirements to say 2-3 eligible generations per stage rather than forcing just the one? Would that help?

Most definitely that would work great :ws:

just a id .

use gpu's like quadro's , tesla and fire pro and ditch desktop gpu's :)

Speaking for myself;

Leave in the DeskTop GPUs.

I thought about that too! But then, like mr.paco said, it's better to try to make the comp reasonably accessible and most people don't have workstation cards. Maybe we can have one stage for the more attainable workstation cards like the the Quadro FX 3700, for example. Maybe we could even allow cross-flashing from GeForce to Quadro for the comp.

edit - FX 3700 is the 8800 GT in workstation's clothing

Edited by Dead Things