HWBOT Community Forums

OSiBS season 4 design thread

websmile

• Crew
Socket 423 (sdram only - no adapters allowed)

But why? SDRAM wasn't too popular on s423. I think I have 2 or 3 DDR boards but none based on i845 SDRAM. :D

My thoughts:

3DMark 2001 SE socket 370. Or maybe even socket 370/socket A (Athlon non XP, i.e. before Palomino). Nice overall system performance.

But why? SDRAM wasn't too popular on s423. I think I have 2 or 3 DDR boards but none based on i845 SDRAM. :D

My thoughts:

3DMark 2001 SE socket 370. Or maybe even socket 370/socket A (Athlon non XP, i.e. before Palomino). Nice overall system performance.

We have done stages with lesser popularity in the past.

:D

Not to mention strange or awkward ...

I love 2k1 , but i prefer 3D stages that do not depend on cpu speed or have less cpu impact.

A member with good tweaking skills and a good modded vga , will never win a 2k1 stage , if his cpu is bad.

:)

I really doubt 06 would run on non-SSE CPU.

Well, then not 06 :)

My idea - is to test what can do the system with old processor in the 3D test (but not the 2D ones which are the mark 99 or 2000 whose results depend on the processor but almost do not depend on the video card)

I love 2k1 , but i prefer 3D stages that do not depend on cpu speed or have less cpu impact.

By the way, the dependence on the cpu speed can be minimized by simply limiting its frequency (as it is done in other competitions) - for example 500 MHz, and compete in overclocking the video card and not the system as a whole.

By the way, the dependence on the cpu speed can be minimized by simply limiting its frequency (as it is done in other competitions) - for example 500 MHz, and compete in overclocking the video card and not the system as a whole.

We do not live in a perfect world.

:)

Think about it.

People get weak ... and tempted.

You can never verify a cpu bench speed (by distance).

Hwbot moderators would not want to go through this.

462 socket do not want to see this year.

370s

1. highest CPU frequency possible (percentage OC) - (Only use processors s370 Coppermine Celeron)

2. Wprime32 - (Only use processors s370 Coppermine no CoppermineT, 2xCPU allowed)

3. SuperPI 1m - (Only use processors s370 CeleronTualatin)

4. Motherboard Reference Frequency or Memory Frequency.

to be continued.....................................................

Edited by alexmaj467

• Administrators

I asked a member to take over, under the premise that he uses the proposals offered in this thread. Four or five rounds by four or five different members, merged by him into the contest. I enjoy the discussion and brainstorming but we need a result in the end. If the member accepts and posts his result, you can give feedack of course, if he refuses to do the job I will find another solution :)

I asked a member to take over, under the premise that he uses the proposals offered in this thread. Four or five rounds by four or five different members, merged by him into the contest. I enjoy the discussion and brainstorming but we need a result in the end. If the member accepts and posts his result, you can give feedack of course, if he refuses to do the job I will find another solution :)

Why?

Socket 604

SuperPi - 32M

wPrime - 1024m

GPUPI for CPU - 100M

What ??? It is NOT oldschool, It is SERVER parts!

Fastest AGP,

Once again ? and once, why?

For the last years of OSiBS we overclock so many times: AMD-K6, S462, S-939, S771/775 and modern... which is not oldschool imho. Think it will be Enough.

last Old School I do not participate, Quadro+LGA771 makes me angry. And I propose to change the conception of OSiBS:

- Do not take SOCKET as criterian, lets take cores, for example S462 all time all used fastest Barton and mobile, lets take Thunderbird core or Palomino it also S462. It will be more useful for filling the HWBot database which is luck of thise results.

Also it takes SLOT 1, lets take the first and slowlest core - Klamath and overclock it! Thing it is more interesting then overclock top P2-450. Think the aidea is clear.

! Multithreaded benchmarks on True OSiBS.

Wprime32 on:

1.Socket8 CPU - there is opportunity to use from 2 to 8!! Pentium Pro.

2. Socket5/7 - is also something fresh i think.

! Real OLD HW Socket 3 lets try 80486 family CPU's: Mystic Cyrix or ordinary Intel DX's or AMD DX4 (NOT DX5 which it all used for previous OSiBS (pi32 test))

! Socket4 ! wery hard and wery interesting socket, there are about 3-4 different chipsets on this socket and about 3 cpu's.

! S370, is not only Taulatin core lets try Cyrix/IBM, IDT winChip 1/2, VIA.

think old shchool si something not higher then S-939 and 478, above is legasy.

- Do not take SOCKET as criterian, lets take cores, for example S462 all time all used fastest Barton and mobile, lets take Thunderbird core or Palomino it also S462. It will be more useful for filling the HWBot database which is luck of thise results.

YES! I fully support!

Cyrix/IBM, IDT winChip 1/2, VIA

possible even without socket restrictions.

Fastest agp is good, but was already. Fastest s370 - was, fastest s462 - was. Fastest CPU brand (Cyrix, IBM, VIA, ets) - no. Fastest CPU core (Mendocino, Thunderbird, Pluto, ets)- no. In this direction...

A have spent some time and came up with a couple of ideas:

-=CPU Tests=-

Super Pi 1M on Socket3 (Pentium Overdrive and AMD DX5 are NOT allowed). Prepare for the oldest true Showtime

Wprime32 on Socket8 CPU’a (1-8 CPU’s in system allowed). “Multiple Soket8 CPU madnessâ€

PiFast on Socket4 CPU’s. “First true Pentium Contestâ€

SuperPi 1M/32M Socket462 on AMD Thunderbird Core. “Last ceramic AMD accelerationâ€

Max Frequency on Slot 1 Pentium II on Klamath Core. “Push the slowest Pentium II to the Skyâ€

Cinebench 2003 on Slot 1 on Pentium III Katmai Core. “Slowest Pentium III kickdownâ€

-=Video cards tests=-

3Dmark2001 (16 bit mode) - on Voodoo2 (single or SLI mode) on Intel CPU on Socket5/7 (AMD K6 1-3 NOT allowed) “Back to the roots of SLIâ€

3DMark2001 - on Voodoo3 on Intel CPU on Socket5/7 (AMD K6 1-3 NOT allowed) “Voodoo 5 Goodbuyâ€

3DMark2000 – GeForce256 + IDT WinChip’s CPU “Crazy stuffâ€

3Dmark2001SE - PowerVR Kyro II + Pentium3 Coppermine Core Slot1 “In memory of PowerVRâ€

3DMark99 - ATi Radeon 7000 Series + S370 (only VIA CPU are allowed) "RadeVia =)"

And aslo Mendocino, Pluto, Orion cores and so on.

Think 5 stages with 2 cpu and 1 3D tests in each Round will be enough. Possibly do not use cpu with integred memory controllers, all above S370 and S462, there a lot of interesting HW in range of Slot3-462.

Edited by max1024

Looking good, although some combinations are very hard to get running.

For example:

486 - is a pure pain to run some benches on... last time I tried it took 5 hours to install win 2k and in the end it didn't work anyway. :D

socket 4 - noone has it and even if there are few people, I really doubt these boards even can be overclocked (other than P60 @ 66) without modding PLL.

VIA s370 CPUs are so slow and useless that noone have them :D

3dmark 01 - requires MMX IIRC, so no socket 5. Also V2 single is limited to 800x600, while SLI can do 1024x768.

In fact all the 3D stages are so much CPU limited, they are not really 3D anymore. Maybe rebalance it a little? Like:

3DM99 = socket 5/7 non-K6 + Riva 128/ZX

3DM00 = Klamath + Rage 128 non-Pro

3DM00 = Katmai + Voodoo3

3DM01 = TBird + GF256

486 - is a pure pain

but it is good pain )) IT is possible to install w2k and ever XP on socket3, 4 so on.

Socket4 is very interesting socket. In HWBOT DB there is no Peinium 66 results, only few P-60. But it possible to find ever Ovedrive120/133 on socket4, but there is also no any results this cpu in DB. There a lot of chipset for S-4: Intel, SiS, OPTi ... and think one more chipset. So we need to filed in all holes in HWBD.

Also V2 single is limited to 800x600, while SLI can do 1024x768

ok SLI V2 1024@16 bit in memory of first SLi :)

VIA s370 CPUs are so slow

:D Not slower then in 2015 we try to bench Super pi 32M on Socket3 is about 35-36 hours ;) it is real OSBS =)

3DM99 = socket 5/7 non-K6 + Riva 128/ZX

3DM00 = Klamath + Rage 128 non-Pro

3DM00 = Katmai + Voodoo3

3DM01 = TBird + GF256

Sounds good ))

Edited by max1024

A have spent some time and came up with a couple of ideas:

-=CPU Tests=-

Super Pi 1M on Socket3 (Pentium Overdrive and AMD DX5 are NOT allowed).

about pod-agreed,but amd dx5 must be allowed...can add something else bench besides suppi,for use dx/dx2/dx4