HWBOT Community Forums

Godavari -7870K and Cold Bug

i tried my 7870K on ln2 yesterday for the first time, useless as an ashtray on a motor bike, didnt matter what temperature, it went to windows then locked up, it did no better than ice water, i have read others have had issues with the same APUS with the steamroller architecture in the Godavari core as well, has anyone found a work around from it, there are others that have achieved a nice 5600 mhz down to 5 gig, so im thinking they have a good chip to get above 5 gig, seems the Kaveri core is a different cup of tea altogether, thoughts please ?

• Thanks 1

about me (I've got a Kaveri 7850K) to go on ln2 need to start (or reset) "warm", because cbb is around -30 celsius, cb around -65

impossible to use with a SS

thx for your input about yours super. mine booted @-24c into windows then locked up, so i tried warming it, same thing, boots into windows and still locks up, same settings, so om sure its the godavari core, the kaveri core i read doesnt have this issue, if im wrong please tell me

thx for your input about yours super. mine booted @-24c into windows then locked up, so i tried warming it, same thing, boots into windows and still locks up, same settings, so om sure its the godavari core, the kaveri core i read doesnt have this issue, if im wrong please tell me

if the issue is present warming, I don't know what to say :(

I'm use to boot @ -30, setting bios and then boot into Windows.

Sometimes I'm able to change ratio or bclk via software, sometimes not.

By the way, when I go down with temp until -60 I the system doesn't lock

Afraid to know about that Godavari issue

if the issue is present warming, I don't know what to say :(

I'm use to boot @ -30, setting bios and then boot into Windows.

Sometimes I'm able to change ratio or bclk via software, sometimes not.

By the way, when I go down with temp until -60 I the system doesn't lock

Afraid to know about that Godavari issue

well regardless of the temps , from the research and comments ive done and read from different people they have cold bug issues with the godavari core cpus, i tried mine on ln2 for the team cup frequency section and found it was no better than what it did for chilled water so i was interested to see if anyone here was willing to share their yes or no if they have suffered the same fate as me with the godavari core , especially within the AMD 7870k

well it maybe the Godavari core (7870K) is more sensitive than the Kaveri core (7850K) or it seems to be that way Lee, it didnt matter what temp mine was at -0c or lower to -24c it didnt want to know about it, i didnt try any more after that, just a waste of LN2, but it seems the silicone lottery applies again, as it does in everything we buy

thank you for the replies

Yesterday I fought with the 7850k on a crossblade (with and without ln2 mode)...and it seems to be worse than the asrock extreme6 (previously tested), a waste of ln2 also here -_-

I fought the law, and the law won...

well usually when you fight the law it always wins in the end , i lost as well, lol, i really dont know what to suggest with this, id like some other guys that have come across this to chime in and give their experiences and opinions on it too if thats possible, i really find it hard to see that its a motherboard issue as the boards are proven performers with and without LN2 with different cpus, so if anyone is able to chime in on this please do

From experience with 20+ kavari/godvari cpu's the cb is normally (about 50% of cpus) around -80c but have seen as low as -100c and high as -60c and cbb -60c and low as -80c and high as -40c

Based on the above you shouldn't be having any issues with ice water and if you are it's poor insulation or crap board

From experience with 20+ kavari/godvari cpu's the cb is normally (about 50% of cpus) around -80c but have seen as low as -100c and high as -60c and cbb -60c and low as -80c and high as -40c

Based on the above you shouldn't be having any issues with ice water and if you are it's poor insulation or crap board

i didnt have trouble with iced water, 4800mhz was the best i could get from it on iced water, LN2 was the problem, it just didnt want to play on cold cold at all, the best way i spose is to try another APU in it to see if the board is good with cold, thx for your specs on it newlife

and thinking about it again, if i have a temp of say 1c with chilled water, that means at say 4.5gig cpu speed at 1.6v-7 v, im gunna have around the 20c+ cpu temp, right ? , so where is the insulation or motherboard factor come into it when it performs quite well at this temp?, im interested to know your thoughts please, doesnt quite make sense to me

Edited by ozzie

Yesterday I fought with the 7850k on a crossblade (with and without ln2 mode)...and it seems to be worse than the asrock extreme6 (previously tested), a waste of ln2 also here -_-

I fought the law, and the law won...

depends on BIOS? dont update last BIOS on Crossblade, is much worse than older one for OC (300 MHz)

Something I forgot but to clock godvari past about 4.7/4.8ghz you need to make sure apm is enabled as it's some weird bug that only effects godvari

depends on BIOS? dont update last BIOS on Crossblade, is much worse than older one for OC (300 MHz)

Same with gigabyte boards although they still clock fine just really buggy no debug codes

Just wanted to chime in as someone who ran a 7890k on phase. It's definitely a pain in the ass, because you basically have to set your OC then boot before the phase is all the way cold. I mainly only did clockspeed validation on mine for team comp, and I found that software OC was the best way. Managed to validate 5.75 Ghz, although at some point I must've pushed too much cpu-nb because now it's down to 1 memory channel. Core did okay at 2v though for validation so I was pretty pleased with my overall result.

Just wanted to chime in as someone who ran a 7890k on phase. It's definitely a pain in the ass, because you basically have to set your OC then boot before the phase is all the way cold. I mainly only did clockspeed validation on mine for team comp, and I found that software OC was the best way. Managed to validate 5.75 Ghz, although at some point I must've pushed too much cpu-nb because now it's down to 1 memory channel. Core did okay at 2v though for validation so I was pretty pleased with my overall result.

nice speed man, well done, geez thats a shame its down to 1 mem channel, what software did you use to clock it, honestly it seems that i just have a dud chip that doesnt like cold, i dunno what to try with it

actually i remember now, i had the same issue with my first crossblade ranger, it was a damn good board too, i ended up with 1 mem channel, it wasnt the cpu at fault, i took it down to asus and it was the cpu socket that had the problem and the board was replaced, i havent looked and i dont know if your board is a crossblade ranger, if it is , maybe you have the same issue as i did ?

Edited by ozzie