HWBOT Community Forums

Hi, I'm trying to OC my 7700k and while it can do 5.8 ghz just fine on my phase change for legacy benchmarks anything with avx will cause it to power throttle to 3.8 ghz. I've made sure I have no avx offset and disabled everything that should limit it's power draw in bios however it keep throttling once any avx load is put on it. Doesn't matter if it's XTU, whycruncher, or CS:GO it will throttle down to 3.8 ghz rendering all core OC pointless for those benches. I'm on a maximus ix apex and I just cannot figure out what's going on. Can someone help me find what setting or jumper I'm stupidly missing that's causing it to throttle down? I'm on phase change so it's definitely not temperature.

• 2 months later...
Doesn't matter if it's XTU, whycruncher, or CS:GO it will throttle down to 3.8 ghz rendering all core OC pointless for those benches. I'm on a maximus ix apex and I just cannot figure out what's going on.

I had the similar problem with my ASRock Z270 Supercarrier mobo and 7700K. It wouldn't drop that low, but It would drop from 5.3GHz to 4.9GHz. I had to set and AVX offset of 1 to get it to go from 5.3GHz to 5.2GHz. It would always take the Cache frequency down to 4.9GHz no matter what I did though. After a newer BIOS dropped (p2.20), I didnt have to use an AVX offset and it would stay at 5.3GHz, however, there is nothing I can do to keep the Cache frequency to at the same speed as the cores. For example:

Under water the Cache frequency drops from 5.3GHz to 4.9GHz.

Under Dice the Cache frequency drops from 5.8GHz to 5.5GHz.

It you hear anything about this issue please let me know yos.

Edited by jessec0626