• Announcements

• admin

READ FIRST! New support forum for HWBOT   11/05/2017

We finally moved to a more modern forum infrastructure for community support. We're still working on implementing various features so stay tuned. Thanks for your support and hope to see you around often! November 8, 2017 Update We have imported the user profiles of the 5,000 most active members on our vbulletin forum. Your credentials should work here We will not be migrating all content from the previous forum board. For migrating the important content we are looking for help from you to determine which content should move If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to any staff member or visit the Staff Q&A sub-forum For your reference, here's the link to the old forum: http://forum.hwbot.org/index.php
Sign in to follow this  
sdougal

8 Core AMD Ryzen 5 1600 / 1600X CPUs Added to HWBOT Database

AMD-Ryzen-CHIP.png.0999a3fdb21454716833394635170dd7.png

For the last week or so there have been reports of a few AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs spotted in the wild that actually have more cores and threads than they should have. Both AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 5 1600X processors are sold as 6 core / 12 thread parts, but for an unknown reason certain batches are actually shipping with 8 cores / 16 threads. This is what MSI have to say on the matter on their AMD blog space a few days ago:

A specific batch of Ryzen 5 1600 has been widely discussed lately that user will have a chance to get a free upgrade to 8-core CPU free of charge. The default CPU performance of this unique Ryzen 5 1600 CPU would be on par with AMD Ryzen 7 1700 according to the discussion over the internet. To confirm whether this news is fake or not, I managed to get this CPU from my local dealer today. Setting up my MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard using this CPU and voila, the CPU-Z tells me the Ryzen 5 1600 has 8 Core 16 Threads.

In terms of the HWBOT rankings, this development obviously throws a proverbial spanner in the works. If you are using an 8-core chip to compete in 6-core Global First Place rankings, you clearly have an unfair advantage. To remedy the situation, Strunkenbold (our tireless maintainer of the HWBOT Hardware Database) has created two new CPU categories to accommodate these two new product SKUs; AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (8 Cores) and AMD Ryzen 5 1600X (8 Cores) . It’s also relevant to note that we are not officially considering these as ‘unlocked’ processors as the user doesn’t have to actually do anything to gain the extra two cores. Unlike previous AMD processors where extra cores and performance could be unlocked, these two new models are basically just mistakenly labeled.

The interesting parameter here , is that , we see an other production date (besides the famous UA 1736 PGT)

So , according to MSI blog , UA 1728 PGT is an alternative ?

All Malay ones , so far.

We must gather user input for this.

I can confirm that r5 1600 - 1728PGT can also be 8c/16t. As a matter of fact, we bought 3 for company and all 3 were 8c.