HWBOT Community Forums

Challenger Divisions I II III new scenario

superpatodonaldo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't want to stop progress (sadly by now marking i7 or i5 or i3 a cpu doesn't mean nothing about core number as before) but everybody understand that more-core chips always will win vs less-core chips

maybe not-multithreads benchs (e.g. pifast, superpi, geek3/4 single, am3, 3dm01, 3dm03, 3dm05, UHB, UHX....) will make more attractive the battle; or to divide the bench result for core number

just my thought :)

• Administrators

We thought a lot about this, but we will not change things anymore. When skylake came, same core count Haswell and DC became more or less worthless, when 7350k came i3s were worthless, when ryzen came all older amd were junk. Some of the stages are single core or gpu limited, others are multicore and on one or two I made core division, but coffeelake is released for half a year now and we cannot limit it especially when you know that for older single threaded benches coffeelake does not support xp

Differences in number of cores is usually handled by "per core" scoring as Websmile mentioned. As long as "per core" is applied to all the stages sensitive to core count, the playing field is nominally leveled.

We don't have to rush about in a panic looking for binned CoffeeLakes, or worse, the very few and now rare OC motherboards for the unique CPU pinout.

The Pro OC stages have an even worse issue with the wide range of core counts among Skylake-X CPUs.

I'm looking forward to seeing notes on the stage pages about the "per core" scoring.

Current-gen Intel already has 1 more division than current-gen AMD: i7 / i5 / i3 vs. R7 / (R5+R3). Do you really want to inflate that to 6 vs. 2 divisions?

not sayd that, maybe my poor english doesn't help me to correct express my thought;

ryzen example was just for show difference between div IV-V and div VI

just want to say that (for example) 6 core and 4 core cpus should not be in the same division unless result be handled by "per core" (in multithreaded 2d benchs)

As I remember in challenger divisions results never be handled by per core

I just noticed a change in DIV I restrictions. Instead of allowing only i7, the restrictions now prohibit 2011, 2011-3 and 2066 sockets. DIV II and III still allow only i5 and i3 respectively.

The effect appears to be that i3 CPUs like 7350K can be used in DIV I. The two-core processors could have a competitive place in the challenge if their PER CORE scores are high.

Do PER CORE stages use the number of cores in the actual CPU (2 for 7350K) or is PER CORE scaling limited to 6 and 4 cores for the i7s?

• Members
I just noticed a change in DIV I restrictions. Instead of allowing only i7, the restrictions now prohibit 2011, 2011-3 and 2066 sockets. DIV II and III still allow only i5 and i3 respectively.

The effect appears to be that i3 CPUs like 7350K can be used in DIV I. The two-core processors could have a competitive place in the challenge if their PER CORE scores are high.

Do PER CORE stages use the number of cores in the actual CPU (2 for 7350K) or is PER CORE scaling limited to 6 and 4 cores for the i7s?

There are per core stages?

youve had enough trouble already havent you, and you want more ??? have no background for the comp div's and see what trouble youll have to deal with, honestly boys, honestly, this is getting more ridiculous by the day with all the hap hazard decisions being made , might as well make rev 8 now and try that one

i would think at "least" your "team background" should be a mandatory

Edited by ozzie