HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Maximus X Apex

On 05.03.2018 at 4:50 PM, flanker said:

Whats interesting for me (experience with M10H), the memory OC seems  different. I had worse results  in timings and clocks than with Kabylake? It is possible (bad CPU IMC?? or some mistake at my side?)

Bad settings, IMC is way stronger this gen and the board flies. DDR4-5000 validation on air cpu/mem is pretty easy with the right components, tight 4280 12 11 11 also easy, this platform and board maxxxes out B-die for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

Bad settings, IMC is way stronger this gen and the board flies. DDR4-5000 validation on air cpu/mem is pretty easy with the right components, tight 4280 12 11 11 also easy, this platform and board maxxxes out B-die for sure. 

But no XP support right?  So 2D benching isn't much use?

• Like 1

M10A BIOS 0020 with higher voltage limits without LN2 Mode (based on 1003): http://www.mediafire.com/file/kzsxh3lerkn1u5w/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX-ASUS-0020.zip

With this BIOS you can adjust bclk using OC Panel without ROG Connect Plus installed.

DRAM Frequency benching instructions from Shamino:

airmem.CMO for sorting imc or memory
ln2mem.CMO for ln2 boot 

Procedure:
Always use channel b on the outside
Best results so far with rgb pcb gskill sticks
Ln2 mode enable

Pour down cpu -100C or so
Pour down mem to -70c around
Load ln2 mem profile save exit
Up dram ratio to 5300 bclk 100 , pour down mem stick to -100c save exit
If fail, press safe mode, enter bios prepare oc panel bclk to set say 97mhz
Pour down mem stick to -140c around where most will start to be unstable
And then regardless of whether it hung or not, press reset 
And it will train and when you see post code 32, immediately press apply for the 97mhz bclk.
Ideally it will pass and hit post code ‘22’ whereby ME is stalling
Immediately torch mem pot to say -80c around that is the actual stable temp for mem
Then it will eventually pass post code 22 and at this point, quickly also lower bclk some more with ocpanel before entering OS

Once you pass a setting like this try to max out mem before changing bclk / mem ratio BECAUSE the profile sets mrc fast boot which will not retrain unless you go safe mode or you change bclk or dram ratio -> will not retrain even if you kill psu power -> so once you get a say 5300+ boot, keep trying till sure its maxed out without retraining.

To keep cold booting without retraining (as you can see the tiem consuming part is to get it to train at high freq/cold temp), always use 100bclk in bios with whichever dram ratio desired
To pass training easier, at post code 32 set the lower bclk quickly from oc panel (which you need to park option at in advance before you even get to this stage , for eg before save exit or before pressing reset while in safe mode)
Although the trade off with lowering at post code 32 is that it will most probably lower your max drag-able clock….
Typically you need to train at a very cold temp such as -150c to pass training for max freq but resume -80C~ quickly when ME stalls you at post code 22.

Download the profiles here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/f2ex0bv30h2gahv/DRAM_Frequency.zip

Edited by elmor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Having issues benching beyond -130*C-140*c. I follow previous guides on full pot benching. 4 different chips and 2 different boards. What is different between coffee and kaby. Had no issue with kaby fullpot to 6700mhz. Cant seem to get past 6200mhz and -140*c on coffee and Apex X. Extremely frustrated.

6 hours ago, hotrod717 said:

Having issues benching beyond -130*C-140*c. I follow previous guides on full pot benching. 4 different chips and 2 different boards. What is different between coffee and kaby. Had no issue with kaby fullpot to 6700mhz. Cant seem to get past 6200mhz and -140*c on coffee and Apex X. Extremely frustrated.

What thermal paste?

TG. I dont think its a paste issue. I have had some cracks, but that is pretty easy to hear and confirm. Definitely cold bug issues. RSVP doesn't seem to help. I have noticed none of the chips like pll term. above 1.45 much. I've had the best luck with 8600k, but after about 20-30 min beyond 140*c, once the cold really gets into the chip, the issues start. The 8700k's and 8350k havent been able to get past 140*c. Really frustrating after a pretty easy time on KB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotrod717 said:

TG. I dont think its a paste issue. I have had some cracks, but that is pretty easy to hear and confirm. Definitely cold bug issues. RSVP doesn't seem to help. I have noticed none of the chips like pll term. above 1.45 much. I've had the best luck with 8600k, but after about 20-30 min beyond 140*c, once the cold really gets into the chip, the issues start. The 8700k's and 8350k havent been able to get past 140*c. Really frustrating after a pretty easy time on KB.

Can you describe the issues?

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Radi said:

hi 

i can't go higher than 6660 on 4 chips ( two was pretest for 6900 gb3 ) i've try many voltage but system stop everytime at 6660 ... why please ? 

You sure you aren't cracking? Open any temperature monitoring utility and leave it running while you do 1 run of Cinebench at 1.6V vcore or something and make sure temps stay at 0 C.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 11:32 AM, Radi said:

hi 

i can't go higher than 6660 on 4 chips ( two was pretest for 6900 gb3 ) i've try many voltage but system stop everytime at 6660 ... why please ? 

On 4/10/2018 at 4:44 AM, rtsurfer said:

You sure you aren't cracking? Open any temperature monitoring utility and leave it running while you do 1 run of Cinebench at 1.6V vcore or something and make sure temps stay at 0 C.

My CPU stops at multiplier 65x. I've run full pot 6500 @ 1.8V and benched XTU at least 30 times, so cracking is out of the question.

The moment I set 66x in turboV, the system freezes. I tried VCore up to 1.92V and no change. Any ideas?

3 hours ago, Bruno said:

My CPU stops at multiplier 65x. I've run full pot 6500 @ 1.8V and benched XTU at least 30 times, so cracking is out of the question.

The moment I set 66x in turboV, the system freezes. I tried VCore up to 1.92V and no change. Any ideas?

What multi do you use to boot into Windows? If it is very low like 50,try higher.