HWBOT Community Forums

Did I win the silicon lottery?

Hey guys! So I only recently got back into the latest hardware trends etc since I am generally an old school overclocker. But on building my new Coffee lake system for my 24.7 rig I couldn't help but give the CPU a go. 

Now I have done only a couple of days of testing so haven't maxed anything out yet, but I am currently running 24/7 stable clocks @1.25v which is completely stable through all AVX testing. I haven't delidded it yet or tried anything crazy beyond a simple core voltage setting and a quick multiplier increase. From what I've seen from the likes of silicon lottery etc they normally run a -3 multiplier on all AVX running so does that make my CPU better? 

I did a quick cine R15 run with 1.35v and 5.3GHz is happy to run all day long, doesnt quite finish at 5.4GHz however. 

Just curious if I sell this on to someone who might make more use of it or if it's not really worth an LN2 overclockers time! 

Thanks for your time. 

Lewis.

From what I'm seeing and hearing from people is that temps are pretty important, if I delid this CPU I'd probably get a better idea of what it can do. AIO, 26c ambient and stock paste on both the AIO and CPU isn't helping anything. I actually kinda wanna LN2 it after speaking to someone today so I might try and find an Apex for the weekend :D

• Like 1

well lewis its like this isnt it ?, a silicone lottery of what its going to do, all are different as you know on what ever cooling is decided or executed with it , you know as everyone knows that temps are crucial to whatever the result will be, and you also know that standard paste just doent cut it with ln2,  give it a whirl mate, see what it does, then youll know wont ya,?  probably the best way to solve the not knowing :)

True but with this being in my 24/7 system I don't really want to get extra parts for it unless I know I have at least some chance of getting some money back with selling on afterwards. 

Also I've not been paying any attention to XOC for over a year now so OC bins is something I am very out of the loop for with regards to the current platform. 

Update though, 5.4GHz cine @1.4v straight from bootup :)