HWBOT Community Forums

The official Old School is Best School Season 4 Round 2 thread

TASOS

8 minutes ago, TASOS said:

Scott

I havent changed the specs of this round.

There was no mention about cpu count , from the start.

I know that.

It's just in the previous comps it was specifically mentioned that multi processor boards like  A7M266-D were allowed.

When it is not specifically mentioned, everybody assumes that multi processor is not allowed.

Consistency.

That is still a problem.

I'm not blaming you Havli. Just a little irritated right now.

Fucking chiller just blew up too. Perfect. :P

Edited by Mr.Scott

I am happy I aint competing in this section allowing dual CPU boards you are just gifting wprime to whoever gets 2 celerons running together we have the winner.

Thats not really a fair competition why compete if you have got no chance in hell unless you can run out and buy a dual board from somewhere quickly.

If dual CPUs are allowed change wprime to pifast then there is no advantage to dual boards.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, macsbeach98 said:

I am happy I aint competing in this section allowing dual CPU boards you are just gifting wprime to whoever gets 2 celerons running together we have the winner.

Thats not really a fair competition why compete if you have got no chance in hell unless you can run out and buy a dual board from somewhere quickly.

If dual CPUs are allowed change wprime to pifast then there is no advantage to dual boards.

Quote at 100%. 

PS: I have different dual socket board one of this capable run dual mendocino. But is rare HW. Enough the GF256 for this competition with very hight prices.

Edited by GRIFF

more changes after the comp has started ??, so whats new, same every bloody year, like a damn circus in there, its got me beat, why cant all this stuff be spoken about, beforehand, agreed on to have  or not ???, not start the comp then wanna change it, then if allowed , people if they havent got the boards have to chase around for the right board for it, and in some countries like here it takes 3-4 weeks for a board to get here, if you can find 1, then that stage is over lol  , its not as if this dual socket scenario doesnt come up in every year of OSIBS every damn year, coz it has and does, make your decisions then stick with em, not this , oh well change it now after the bloody comp or stage has already started, its nothing but shutting the gate after the horse has bolted and then say what happened , and you wonder why people get pissed off with it all !!!!!

• Confused 1

• Crew

I changed the limitation to one CPU.

The server and workstation rule is too ambiguous. In the end you would have to create a list of motherboards which were targeted on Desktop Systems and then there would be still uncertainties on what can be used and what not. So lets just keep it simple and stick to one CPU.

As requested, I removed VIA Apollo 266 chipset from the allowed chipsets.

I also change the allowed RAM type to SDRAM only.

As nobody answered I guess Slot Mendocino are also allowed.

My last question is if I should explicit forbid the use of Slot adapters which were actually a common thing and are available for cheap nowadays. You decide.

probably I will agree with Strunkenbold. Celerons do not officially support SMP and this usage is not typical for these processors. Also I do not see any problems in using the adapter. The rules indicate the use of the socket 370 processor, but not the motherboard. In addition, many motherboard manufacturers have released such adapters officially and there have been no restrictions on their use by Intel. Using the adapter does not open any additional and unofficial functions, as well as no advantage. my proposal is to allow only one processor (it's possible in dual-processor boards) and allow the use of adapters. it will be fun.

5 hours ago, Strunkenbold said:

I changed the limitation to one CPU.

The server and workstation rule is too ambiguous. In the end you would have to create a list of motherboards which were targeted on Desktop Systems and then there would be still uncertainties on what can be used and what not. So lets just keep it simple and stick to one CPU.

As nobody answered I guess Slot Mendocino are also allowed.

My last question is if I should explicit forbid the use of Slot adapters which were actually a common thing and are available for cheap nowadays. You decide.

Thank you for doing this.

For any changes but single CPU, I would clear everything with Tasos being that he put this show together. It is only fitting that the participants do not override what the designer put together, but merely add input to what might be better. If you know what I mean.

• Like 1

• Crew
3 hours ago, Mr.Scott said:

Thank you for doing this.

For any changes but single CPU, I would clear everything with Tasos being that he put this show together. It is only fitting that the participants do not override what the designer put together, but merely add input to what might be better. If you know what I mean.

Yes youre right.
However as mentioned the problem lies in the definition what server is and whats not. I fear moderating such cases...
I dont see any problem making a bonus round allowing dual mendocinos configurations. I would allow server boards too in such a round, because theres actually zero benefit using a Server board. Those are actually cheaper than desktop dual boards too.

• Like 2

• Crew

I talked with Tasos and he was very kind. Basically he accepted the current approach. Except someone has objections, the current set of rules are considered final. 

I don't see problems for dual socket motherboard users participating with a single CPU. 

Also slot adapters can be used, I don't think it means an advantage to anyone.

In favor of bigger participation , i decided to remove the difficulty factor from this round.

Which was indeed , trying to run the (Intel unlocked) SMP feature of Celeron PPGA's ... Since it requires above average modding skills , on both hardware and bios level .

When i saw old members , experienced members , getting the wrong dual boards or assuming they had the right dual boards ...

I realized that the "art" of running dual ppga celerons was a bit forgotten.

Buried deep into hardware history.

Sad , but a reality.

So

Easy , plain simple stage , for everybody.

No dual celerons

And slot-1 adapter allowed

Have fun !!!

:)

4 hours ago, TASOS said:

In favor of bigger participation , i decided to remove the difficulty factor from this round.

Which was indeed , trying to run the (Intel unlocked) SMP feature of Celeron PPGA's ... Since it requires above average modding skills , on both hardware and bios level .

When i saw old members , experienced members , getting the wrong dual boards or assuming they had the right dual boards ...

I realized that the "art" of running dual ppga celerons was a bit forgotten.

Buried deep into hardware history.

Sad , but a reality.

So

Easy , plain simple stage , for everybody.

No dual celerons

And slot-1 adapter allowed

Have fun !!!

And dual cpu boards with single cpu?

On 3/21/2018 at 6:11 PM, Strunkenbold said:

I talked with Tasos and he was very kind. Basically he accepted the current approach. Except someone has objections, the current set of rules are considered final. 

I don't see problems for dual socket motherboard users participating with a single CPU. 

Also slot adapters can be used, I don't think it means an advantage to anyone.

2 hours ago, GRIFF said:

And dual cpu boards with single cpu?

Allowed.

Let me know , if you (or anybody else) have any other requests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Crew

What's the point removing VIA Apollo 266 and leaving CLE266 (that's an Apollo 266 + Unichrome iGPU)? Considering SDRAM only. And Aladdin Pro V with SDRAM being allowed.

Edited by Antinomy
  • Like 1