HWBOT Community Forums

The official Old School is Best School Season 4 Round 2 thread

TASOS

• Crew
21 hours ago, Antinomy said:

@Strunkenbold

So, which non-Intel chipsets are allowed? Everything except Apollo 266 or only the ones listed on the stage?

I was told to remove all DDR chipsets. I have to admit, I made a mistake with the CLE266. As SDRAM is the only allowed RAM type it shouldnt caused much damage.

I removed now the Aladdin Pro 5T, CLE266 and the SiS 635 those were, AFAIK late P6 chipsets and dont match the comp.

• Like 1

I'm sad that I can't play in this. Got my Abit VP6 the other day but it's a brick. :( Power switch does nothing, but from what I can see by shorting P OK on the 20 pin to GND all the power circuitry is good. 

Anyone have some suggestions on what to check first? 

• Crew

@DR4G00N what do you mean by pin 20? Try shorting PS_ON pin in ATX power cord: http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower.shtml

you need to short pins 14 and 15. If your system boots fine with this, it's the multiIO chip dead (most likely).

Two hours to the end and I've just found my WinXP CD :D and it's got read errors. A new level of extreme.

Edited by Antinomy

5 hours ago, Antinomy said:

@DR4G00N what do you mean by pin 20? Try shorting PS_ON pin in ATX power cord: http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower.shtml

you need to short pins 14 and 15. If your system boots fine with this, it's the multiIO chip dead (most likely).

Two hours to the end and I've just found my WinXP CD :D and it's got read errors. A new level of extreme.

Yes, that is what I meant, 20-Pin ATX connector. Shorting PS_ON powers it on but it doesn't post just a constant tone from the buzzer.

• Crew

I didn't have a screenshot but when I saw a message from Mr. Scott, I had to rebench the setup to get one. The rules tell screenshot is required. I think a photo might work too but it's up to you.

6 hours ago, DR4G00N said:

but it doesn't post just a constant tone from the buzzer.

I'm afraid, can't help you with this one. Start checking voltages.

Edited by Antinomy

38 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

K some scores in stage 1 only have a picture of the screenshot, others don't even have a screenshot, just a setup pic.  Then there are others who have a screenshot with FSB far off the CPU-Z score...  Any inputs plz

My opinion,

Picture of a screenshot has never been allowed anywhere.....ever.

Backround is required, so if there is no screenshot then there is no backround either so......

Technically, if you follow the stage rules requirement, the screenshot was to include board and mem tabs also. That means there are more offenders, including myself............(because I did not read the rules).:(

If we'd take Stage 1 super serious the best score would be 675MHz which would just be stupid, I'd say photo of screen has to do, getting a old single core cpu 3x CPU-Z stable + screenshot is basically like running a benchmark, which  max validations have never been and imo. should never become for any platform...

Edited by TAGG

Also I did not read the rules well and I thought the screenshot of the frequency was enough with the margin of error in percentage compared to the validate that I do not remember now. The motherboard used and the ram in theory are already seen in the validate so cheating is not possible.

30 minutes ago, TAGG said:

If we'd take Stage 1 super serious the best score would be 675MHz which would just be stupid, I'd say photo of screen has to do, getting a old single core cpu 3x CPU-Z stable + screenshot is basically like running a benchmark, which  max validations have never been and imo. should never become for any platform...

Lol. You can't be serious.

You're condoning basically no rules based on the age of the platform?

What is this ,  f'ing free for all? I'll just post a blank screen and write my own CPU frequency in then. That'll be good enough.

I would take down every one of those non conforming screenshots in stage 1 including my own, for being stupid and not checking the actual rules and just assuming.

Edited by Mr.Scott

as far as im concerned the whole OSIBS  comp this year is a bloody shambles, and i love OSIBS comps, a waste of time and effort, its been 1 thing after the other of drama and was set up completely wrongly  IMO , ive got the older gear but i havent got the gear good enough to go in it and after seeing the lack of participants in this comp from day 1 im happy that i havent

• Crew
3 hours ago, ozzie said:

as far as im concerned the whole OSIBS  comp this year is a bloody shambles, and i love OSIBS comps, a waste of time and effort, its been 1 thing after the other of drama and was set up completely wrongly

As far as Im concerned there was always Drama, in every comp. Also this is not the first time we requested a screenshot for CPU-Z stages. I have to admit that the CPU-Z stage doesnt really Need a screenshot though,  its like what @TAGG said: Basically the screenshot requirement prevented suicide runs, turning this into a light stability Benchmark.

But I set up the stages on March 16, even gave everyone one day more time, so everyone could comment. including you. Discussing after the comp ended isnt helpful. But some People made submissions according to the rules and some did not. Which leaves the question why we should punish the ones who did.

Of course those competitions would better organized if there would be someone solely dedicated to creating stages and moderating submissions. But after websmile left, there is no one.
So basically, while I understand the Frustration, a better way to deal with the Situation would be to comment about Problems and make the stuff Aware of it.

Thx @TASOS BTW!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Strunkenbold said:

As far as Im concerned there was always Drama, in every comp. Also this is not the first time we requested a screenshot for CPU-Z stages. I have to admit that the CPU-Z stage doesnt really Need a screenshot though,  its like what @TAGG said: Basically the screenshot requirement prevented suicide runs, turning this into a light stability Benchmark.

Then you have to specify to mark the frequency of the screen although valid can have higher frequency.

But I think a concept a bit wrong for competitions where you are pleased to see new WR.

I like to remind you that at round 1 other VALID submissions - including mine - deleted because was not in accordance 100% with the rules.

This time I read carefully and submitted my results according the rules. So I included a valid screenshot for the cpu-z speed that submitted.

Personally for the cpu-z stage I do not think that we should be so strict and delete any scores this time - the ones that have no screenshot - despite the fact that this will bring my score even higher.

Let's be more carefull and strict next round.

This is my suggestion.

Edited by varachio

1 hour ago, Strunkenbold said:

But I set up the stages on March 16, even gave everyone one day more time, so everyone could comment. including you. Discussing after the comp ended isnt helpful. But some People made submissions according to the rules and some did not. Which leaves the question why we should punish the ones who did.

Of course those competitions would better organized if there would be someone solely dedicated to creating stages and moderating submissions. But after websmile left, there is no one.
So basically, while I understand the Frustration, a better way to deal with the Situation would be to comment about Problems and make the stuff Aware of it.

Thx @TASOS BTW!

thats like saying shut the gate after the horse has bolted, no point is there, ive made suggestions, points, what has actually gone wrong, as youve put it for years and no notice taken or anything done for it, dont give me that mate, how can you comment until you see what happens with whats been given ?? , bot knows about cpuz and other 3rd party software issues for yrs , whats really been done??? and in how many different comps????, false readings, bugged, to say the least, nothin thats what, the 2018 OSBIS in my opinion and which im entitled to is the worst ive ever seen and set up wholey to  to  benefit 1 team as i see it, and guess what team ? comps would be better if theyre organised properly from the start, and this is to  benefit 1 team,the issue and always has been, just a thrown together and fix the problems later when they arise , so whats new?? nothing, frustrating ?/ lol demoralising more like it, to the point if people say i couldnt care less and im not gunna waste my time and energy on it, now if others were really honest and not seen as a trouble maker like i am, coz i speak my mind,  and had some balls, theyd be saying the same , when im wrong my hands are up and i apologise,, when im not ill stand on my digs