HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT Rev7.1 point recalculation in progress

richba5tard

If we would change the complex algorithm for something simple & easy to understand, it would be on the roadmap of 2019. I agree rev7.1 has wonky here and there but overhauling the algorithm twice in one year would only increase confusion. :)

As far as I see there are some edge cases where a "good" ranking can be fucked up (if anyone can reproduce it on the uat.hwbot.org server, please do!), and the logic to detect whether a submissions is a "best submission" for the user has a few holes in it too, but this is not due to rev7.1.

• Thanks 1

Thankyou ... a wise & just man :) Carry on submitting scores as usual.

HWbot hopefully continues to grow & attract new members exponentially 

jesus, $10 a year for membership fees is nothing, and dont give me this garbage about people wanting to have say in this and that how this or whatever is run, piss weak excuse and it wont happen anyway, and you know why ??? coz if anyone is gunna try do anything for their 10 bucks worth  theyre just barking up the wrong tree, wont happen, its quite simple to do, make a disclaimer agreement when you tick ok, when you pay where theres none of the above involved, pay the money, and as vinnie said, for eg,  50 k in the bank to make bot work like it should be, people get paid something for their tireless efforts, stuff gets upraded so less problems , easier overall,  its like falling off a log to me, too bloody easy, or is that too simple to comprehend?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Rauf said:

I would say that the situation is different now. The complex point system is no longer needed, or at least has lost its way. Does anyone even have an idea of what the purpose of the current system is? Can anyone define it?

I think the answer is "something to please everyone". Which ends up being shit for most. And so we have like 6 different rankings, world ranking, overclocker league, global, hw, team, etc. We already have quantity over quality. First place in 3way 3d05 is worth more than wr in 3d01, pifast etc.

The current system is a mess.

If hwbot still thinks competitive rankings are the way to go and wants to promote quality (top scores). Why not just add fixed bonus points to top 10 or 20 scores in each ranking. Every other score is just pure %. No need to involve complex logarithms.

OK - I'll pull the pin on this grenade...... ¬¬

I'll address each point above with thoughts of my own about the issues mentioned.

1:

I also don't think anyone currently has an idea exactly "HOW" it works to be honest regarding the code itself for figuring up all the points for results. I can't place any "Blame" on any one person or thing either, we are all aware of what's happened in recent months and who did what more or less.

Too easy to fix one thing and have two go askew if you don't fully understand the coding and it's already been admitted it's VERY complex. You can bet things are inter-woven due to the nature of how it all works and the guy(s) that did understand it well enough are gone. Not saying it can't be figured out but it's probrably SO complex and convoluted at this point it's become a hydra related to fixing things.

I'm also not aware of anyone on the staff here named "Hercules".

Further tinkering will only make things worse than it is already - And it's pretty damn bad now.

2:

Trying to please everyone is another symptom of the current mess and it eventually (Like it or not) comes with a certain expectation of such. I can understand trying to change things so more can and would be interested, however at the price that's being paid now it's not been worth it. There's even a few here that actually expect things to be changed for their benefit alone - Another symptom of the cult of accomidation that's come to be.

The ones running the show before are largely responsible for this, instead of telling folks to suck it up, they instead caved time and time again and it's gotten to the point now it's expected such things to be handed over like candy in a parade.

Now we've got cavities that needs filling and the fix won't be pleasant.

3:

I don't see any sense in awarding bonus points on top of higher points already given to those that do score in the top of their category, esp as things are now. While I will agree there are discreptancies in the way points are awarded, one simple factor is in how popular the bench is - That's one thing that will make some worth more than others if comparing any two categories.  If you're already in the top spots you're getting the top points already for that category.

You'd have to revamp the entire structure of how points are awarded to make it even close to workable. The place is already a shambles, if done this would serve as another example of the cure being worse than the disease like Chemo can be because....

Piling on bonus points on top of all that's already earned more than those below is an instant competitive spirit "Killer".

You want to flatout lock up the top spots so no one is ever in danger again of possibly losing out to someone trying to make their way up the ladder? That's one way to go.

So.... You got beat, that's the nature of the game.

There shoudn't be any issue(s) if it does happen legitimately, for if there is I'd have to guess someone's ego got bruised.

Edited by Bones

• Members
4 minutes ago, Bones said:

*snip*

Just wanted to say, for as long as I can remember there has been a bonus added to top5/10 scores type thing already, and it's there to encourage and reward those who push right to the very end, otherwise the guy in 2nd/3rd etc getting 99% of the points of 1st might not bother pushing more as it's not 'worth' the extra time/money etc, whereas when there's a bigger jump in points it might be.

At least that's my understanding.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GeorgeStorm said:

Just wanted to say, for as long as I can remember there has been a bonus added to top5/10 scores type thing already, and it's there to encourage and reward those who push right to the very end, otherwise the guy in 2nd/3rd etc getting 99% of the points of 1st might not bother pushing more as it's not 'worth' the extra time/money etc, whereas when there's a bigger jump in points it might be.

At least that's my understanding.

Yes & it's still working like that in revision 7. A benchmark I could look @ on the global side ....

#1 120 #2 95 #3 60 & then it decreases sharply till you hit the cliff & everyone then scores 0.2

No one should have a complete impervious advantage though not matter their standing in the BOT 

From my extended life experience.

If someone does not have the knowledge / knowhow to drive his car and crashes, it is not the car to blame.

If someone owns / runs a company and the company crashes, it is not the employees to blame.

When a place of joy ( for which even the most negative member would be ungrateful to doubt ), turns ( for whatever reason ), into a problematic place to even exist, then

a serious issue arises.

What is left -

1) Hardcore benchers, that do not care for point rewards.

2) Sponsored / Elite  members who have financial interests from their sponsors and from live competitions with cash money rewards.

All the rest have either gone home or are preparing to do so.

Bluntly - fix the boat or the boat will end up in the bottom of the ocean. Simple as that. 

Edited by Fasttrack
Grammar mistake
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Not agree. Go back previous page.

What I get fed up about is there always has to be some one to blame. Oh look he did it. = Negativity

Really it's enough. Crew tiny I think x4 to fix all the shit. 

Points are broken. Just do what you like. Upload scores. It's about overclocking that's why we enjoy it. ?

Just now, avalanche said:

Not agree. Go back previous page.

What I get fed up about is there always has to be some one to blame. Oh look he did it. = Negativity

Really it's enough. Crew tiny I think x4 to fix all the shit. 

Points are broken. Just do what you like. Upload scores. It's about overclocking that's why we enjoy it. ?

What you maybe do not understand, is that the backbone of the site has been problematic for years.

Anything that is not fixed early enough ( years ago ), only results in worsening the environment and leading to a dead end.

And yes, in every situation in life, there is one or more responsible for the backbone of the system. Either it is a family or a whole country.

And the Titanic went down because under extremely severe weather conditions, the captain was sleeping and the crew watching the front of the ship did not have

binoculars and could not see the iceberg approaching.

Negativity is one thing, being realistic is another. 

... head ache

Why put a heavier load on a heavy load that has been a heavy load for some time & keep pressing the fact that it's always been a heavy load ?

Guy running this place ... just back off for a while Fasttrack OK. I see them trying. An imperfect world is still our imperfect world.

HWbot team will do right ... but you have to wait.

Edited by Guest

On 6/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, Fasttrack said:

From my extended life experience.

* snippity snip *

Bluntly - fix the boat or the boat will end up in the bottom of the ocean. Simple as that. 

See above ^^ worlds best overclockers asking about their missing scores. It's important to them.

Rank / position does mean something. So they would try to hang onto a slender lead over a rival.

Rest of us care too about our points & scores. Some of the HWbot points system is badly broken.

No good comes of it ... continually bashing on the staff here about it. Some time & next year Richard will look @ it again.

________

Not a leaky sinking boat as you imply. More an old battleship with some damage. Not keep skuttling a Bismarck ?

Facts previous page June 8. 233508 total members.

Today June 16. 234283 total members. That's a growth of 775 members joined in just a week. Think x52 weeks

_______

40,300 could be a real number of members joining in a year. Be positive instead, more competition, more interesting benchmarks.

It is a shame when some try to turn a free discussion where everyone is entitled to an opinion, into a personal thing.

Not interested to reply or even continue.

History will tell if optimism ( which is a good thing ), is better than facing reality and facts.

Wish, from the bottom of my heart, that things go north and not south.

I prefer to be realistic. But that is just me.

Carry on folks and good luck :)

I write as a whole " benefit HWbot " not once have I stepped into personal side of things. 

It's been years of guys bashing on " things are not right " " the heavens are falling " endless bitter feedback fix this fix that in here.

Fasttrack I hope your on the end of all this. Negative writing we have to lessen it.

We just get on with overclocking & uploading the scores to HWbot. Leave the crew here to do their thing, better for praising efforts in the long run.

the titantic sunk coz some useless self opinionated dicklips respresentative from the company that built it was on board and pressured the command in the bridge  at the time to beat the time record for the voyage , the captain didnt even know about it and by the time it was seen and he was informed and advertive action was taken  it was all over and bugger all could be done to save her or the passengers, everything was lost through greed and stupidity

• Haha 1

All my 4770K subs have points disabled for some reason and require me to manually find and recalculate them. I haven't touched them in ages, so not sure if they're just broken from the initial 7/7.1 recalculations.

Edited by Noxinite

21 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

@Alex and Splave did you guys edit something on the score?

No sir, regarding 6700K and 32M i also see that Galax Oc Lab submission is gone as well, weird things happen

Le, found it with google, recalculate, now it is good :

http://hwbot.org/submission/3405213_alex_ro_superpi___32m_core_i7_6700k_4min_23sec_328ms/

Problem is i think i miss some other scores as well but have to remember what and then find them again lol

Edited by Alex@ro
  • Like 1