HWBOT Community Forums

The Official April Extreme Clocking Competition

KaRtA

In this stage and test everything is tweaking. Yes overclock gives more point but if you check my first result frequencies are the same.

Tweaking gives around 30% boost in points or more. We will see at the end.

I'm sorry for asking about tweaks.

• Crew

K I quickly crosschecked some subs of stage 2

When screening, CPU-Z must read out 5000 MHz or less, no fluctuations above 5000MHz are allowed !!

Also make sure the CPU-Z Mainboard tab is also there, even though an FM link is needed you have to make sure for competitions that your screenshots are 100% as required in the rules

Have a nice day

Well my soc has now forgotten how to boot even at stock, so we'll see if I get to sub. Tbh, I've got to say my experience overall with this abomination of a board has been awful besides that. But that's what giga comps are for, to remind me never to buy gigabyte if I can avoid it. Always seem to have some weird ass problems every giga comp I think I'll participate in. So I'm out, good luck to everyone else!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/16/2018 at 5:56 AM, yosarianilives said:

Well my soc has now forgotten how to boot even at stock, so we'll see if I get to sub. Tbh, I've got to say my experience overall with this abomination of a board has been awful besides that. But that's what giga comps are for, to remind me never to buy gigabyte if I can avoid it. Always seem to have some weird ass problems every giga comp I think I'll participate in. So I'm out, good luck to everyone else!

Interesting point.

While some GBT board do have a bit more 'quirks' than some others, but the point of overclocking was pushing whatever you got to its maximum edge of stability no matter what the conditions, wasn't it? If you wanted to be competitive, then finding workarounds are a given, since it is us that pushed these hardware beyond stock.

4 hours ago, Lucky_n00b said:

Interesting point.

While some GBT board do have a bit more 'quirks' than some others, but the point of overclocking was pushing whatever you got to its maximum edge of stability no matter what the conditions, wasn't it? If you wanted to be competitive, then finding workarounds are a given, since it is us that pushed these hardware beyond stock.

Definitely, it's just annoying when after spending hours to finally get the board to train something reasonable for mem timings as well as dealing with broken igpu multiplier control it no longer can boot, even at stock. POSTs just fine and sees the ssd in bios though, so no idea what could be wrong with it. But this board has always done what it wants.

Then if we go back to June for the Master Your Ryzen I had a k7 that also did what it wanted. Main issue for me was the board could not successfully change bclk at all, even 101 would not post. Also it wasn't clocking mem very well, which is strange for a giga board. Then when I reached out to gigabyte RMA department their response was essentially "Silicon lottery bruh", which is kinda BS considering that the same chip had no issues changing bclk or running better mem settings on my ch6. Ended up giving that board away so that I didn't snap it in half.

But I guess here I am being the stereotypical OCer complaining about everything :P and it's not like I haven't seen quirks on asus boards, including murderous tendencies. I think the best conclusion is that if you spend enough time with a board, especially on cold, you will hate something if not most things about it.

Hi All, I am pretty new to overclocking and I have a few questions following the completion of stage two of this competition if anyone is kind enough to assist. I notice that valid scores were not required for submissions . I used older drivers in order to submit a valid score. While I don't think this affected my score much I wanted to clarify for future reference. I see that the use of newer drivers is allowed but Windows 10 with 3D Mark requires online validation via 3DMark. Is this different to a valid score or am I misunderstanding what is meant by an adjustable BUS? Someone previously asked about the reference frequency shown in 3DMark. I am unsure of the answer to this. I dialled my OC down to make sure it was under 5Ghz in both CPU-Z and 3DMark. Is this correct or is only CPU-Z required? My final question, if anyone is kind enough to share is regarding GPU clocks. I notice these were pushed as high as 1600. I capped at 1200 and couldn't find anyway to push this higher. Is this a limitation of my motherboard or was there another way to do this? I checked XTU, intel display software and MSI afterburner. None of these provided any options for this. I only had a few days with a new CPU for this round and I was miles off the pace. There was some very impressive scores submitted. I obviously have lots to learn but hopefully I will be able to compete with the big boys sometime in the future.

All final now?

Just wanted to put a big thanks in for Gigabyte for their support of our scene. I hope moving forward manufacturers will come back to the Bot to keep us motivated. Love these low clock competitions and the highs and lows of the unknown. 

We also shouldn’t forget Seasonic, G.Skill, EK and Intel also. 

For or everyone else who competed, I hope you are all proud of your scores, and hope you all learnt as much as I did. This format can only make us all better benchers. 

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...