HWBOT Community Forums

ASRock z170 MOCF lives on Coffee Lake Mods

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, flautze said:

I just found my way to this topic via another site and I m pretty excited about this MOD. Some quick questions though:

- so I boot regular (skylake or Kabylake), go to BIOS overwrite my 7.60 with 7.51D and the insert Coffe Lake CPU (modded)?
- does my Skylake work with the modbios afterwards, or not? I read somewhere above that Kabylakes work
- The 7.51 seems to not include the Meltdown/Spectre microcode, correct? So the CPU is not protected then?
- What exactly is those 2 pins that we are connecting? (on Kaby and on Coffee), so what am I connecting?
- do you see the chance that Windows will get an update/patch/Microcode that will prevent this mod from working ?
- I assume the power draw of the 8700K is something higher than 6700K (which I own), the OCF should be able to handle this, right? I dont suppose I need to connect the full 12 EPS-pins? (Currently I am only using the 4+4, but the OCFM does only have 4+4 anyway).

Thanks for answering this.

Hello flautze! :)

I've checked this Rev. 7.51A/D BIOS and it's updated with latest CPU micro-code for SkyLake (C2), KabyLake/CoffeLake (84) that Intel released to mitigate Meltdown/Spectre (https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/03/microcode-update-guidance.pdf) so you'll be able to use your i7 6700K and/or any KabyLake/CoffeLake and you'll be "protected". 

As stated by Splave you have to flash BIOS with a SKL/KBL CPU, shut down the MoBo, swap CPU and power-on.

Cheers,

KK

Edited by Killkernel

Hey there. Photos show other way you can connect the SKT_OCC pins of the socket together: Either way does same thing, it tells the board that there is a coffee lake CPU inserted into the socket. (because that function moved in coffee lake to a different pinout location)

-704f2493a51166fd.png

g6jiTxc.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brunosalezze said:

@labeanchik

Here is your bios, you have to flash with an SPI programmer to downgrade the ME region to 11.6:

Based on: 7.50 ME: 11.6.0.1126 Microcodes: 06EB(0x84), 06EA(0x84), 06E3(0xC2) Tested with: G3900, 8700K

All credits to @DARPA on discord.

AsExtr-4-7.50.zip

Not Worked. 6700k and 8700k not work.

programmer ch341a

Video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ki5LNJmkzFZNzvVF72BH-CGB_aef3p2f

the post code behavior is identical, both on the 6700k and on the 8700k.
now 8700k is not included in the post code 00.
Began to heat up, like 6700k.

IMG_20180428_204117.jpg

21 hours ago, labeanchik said:

Last post code 78 and cycle reboot
in manual: 61 - 91 Chipset initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS.

This BIOS doesn't require any HW mod on the motherboard, you just have to short the 2 pin on your cpu.. Just clear cmos and bios settings. The 6700K still boots fine in the old BIOS? And this BIOS is based on the Z370 Killer SLI

Just now, brunosalezze said:

This BIOS doesn't require any HW mod on the motherboard, you just have to short the 2 pin on your cpu.. Just clear cmos and bios settings. The 6700K still boots fine in the old BIOS? And this BIOS is based on the Z370 Killer SLI

6700k still boots fine in the old BIOS.

I asked for BIOS from z170m oc formula Z17MOCF7.51D_CFL
with it started, but because of bad contact with the socket - in some position of the processor - it does not load ..

with BIOS  Z17MOCF7.51D_CFL - a lot of things do not work on my z170 extreme 4

extreme4 bios oc formula.png

extreme4_2.png

Edited by labeanchik