HWBOT Community Forums

ASRock z170 MOCF lives on Coffee Lake Mods

I think it is board specific . I bought a Rgb set from websmile some time ago ,which was suppose to do 4133 12-11-11 on Mocf but on my board i barelly could get close to 4000 mhz while with other kits i did 4190 no problem. 

I have another Mocf in storage (in another country) and will try with that one in order to test my theory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splave said:

I think he probably just has the best set out there? 

The fact that sticks with that layout work on a few other boards (M8i, X299 OCF) indicates an issue with most boards training.  I do remember getting some of my RGB sticks to boot 4000C12 on MOCF by booting single stick, then setting RTLs and adding the 2nd so maybe that's what he did.

• Like 1

Yes it seems to depend on board and dimm pcb combination. I also found that certain timings stick on some boards with rgb pcb. For example for me it was tcl and tcr on my z270 soc, so I ran 19-12-12-28 2t with 2 dimms or 4 dimms it did not matter. On my apex timings kinda just sucked so it was more around 17-17-17 2t with the same sticks. All just seems to be down to how the traces are laid out on the motherboard and on the memory sticks and how the bios handles memory timings.

2 hours ago, Achill3uS said:

Guys regarding 8core coffee lakes, do we still need to cover the same 2 pads on the back of the cpu to prevent socket pins to be burned like with 6core cpus?

Yes if you care about them :D I just let them burn and never look back. Hasnt had any ill effect here.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, websmile said:

I only have tested these on asus apex x apart from the mocf and a2 layout is not compatible with asus BIOS or memory architecture, so 4kc12 or above with divider doesn´t work there.

Did you have to train one stick and set RTLs for both channels first or could you just boot both sticks 4133C12 like normal?