HWBOT Community Forums

ASRock z170 MOCF lives on Coffee Lake Mods

On 11/21/2018 at 12:36 AM, Raabot said:

Hey guys, has anyone tried 9700k on Z170 ocf with this bios? Mine didn't work. The system won't boot. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

BS: my “me fw version” is 11.6.0.1126.

why dont you just fucken start a new thread for the z170 formula if you love it so much? spamming this thread since weeks lol. pretty annoying.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2018 at 10:54 AM, DR4G00N said:

Anyone try Coffee IGPU yet on this board? I was trying to use it yesterday but every time I installed the drivers it just gave a black screen. 

Edit: NVM, I think the IGPU is dead in my 8700K. 7350K's IGPU works fine.

I don't think IGPU works for coffee on mocf. IIRC the two pins that burn are vcc for IGPU on coffee chips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, websmile said:

Are these standard retails from a shop? I saw these being listed lately and spd looks unfamiliar

Yes Michael, these are retails from shop, sadly im not able to make them run 4133c12 on 32M, might be imc weakness, will see later. but still im happy with these, i think not bad for a random retail at 1.90v bios set.

46863334_377129319723330_6755479507836076032_n.jpg

Edited by Achill3uS
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Achill3uS said:

Yes Michael, these are retails from shop, sadly im not able to make them run 4133c12 on 32M, might be imc weakness, will see later. but still im happy with these, i think not bad for a random retail at 1.90v bios set.

46863334_377129319723330_6755479507836076032_n.jpg

I have two sets of those and mine are the same, 4133C12 32M not possible.

• Sad 2

Hey guys !

I want to try my 8700k on my mocf and was wondering if i have to do only the board mod +last bios or is it required to short the pins and cover the other 2 ?

i saw a video posted by Luumi whereas he did only the mobo mod+bios  ,  his cpu and socket pins we’re fine ,not burned.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 11:48 PM, suzuki said:

Hey guys !

I want to try my 8700k on my mocf and was wondering if i have to do only the board mod +last bios or is it required to short the pins and cover the other 2 ?

i saw a video posted by Luumi whereas he did only the mobo mod+bios  ,  his cpu and socket pins we’re fine ,not burned.

hey bro, first of all just grab a coffee supported bios and if you do the hardmod on the mobo you dont need to short pads on the cpu, you are already good to go.

BUT, Let me share with you my experience: i would suggest you to additionally cover the 2 cpu pads shown earlier with any kind of coffee lake cpu if you would like to 100% avoid any possibility of pin burning. the burned pins itself would not cause any issues like Splave and others confirmed, until the top of the pin is not falling apart and small pieces back into the socket. it happened to me at just the first time removal of the cpu since installed. i suppose this generated short circuit and mobo did not posted at all with any kind of cpu (even kaby lake). as troubleshooting i did ask a friend with appropriate equipment to clean and solder back 2 brand new pins into the socket. luckily operation succeeded and mobo came back to life. end of story, MOCF is confirmed to be unvincible :D  but i never ever put back coffee lake without covering those pads.

oh yes forgot to add it was with 9900k.

Edited by Achill3uS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Achill3uS said:

until the top of the pin is not falling apart and small pieces back into the socket

This ^^. Dont avoid / take unecessary risks. Once a tiny piece of metal (LGA pin head) falls into the plastic holes, you cannot know anymore if it's shorting something out doen under there.. and there is not [really] any obvious or sure-fire way to dislodge / get it back out again. Not really worth the risk, is it?

4 hours ago, dreamcat4 said:

This ^^. Dont avoid / take unecessary risks. Once a tiny piece of metal (LGA pin head) falls into the plastic holes, you cannot know anymore if it's shorting something out doen under there.. and there is not [really] any obvious or sure-fire way to dislodge / get it back out again. Not really worth the risk, is it?

Lol try to tell an overclocker what not worth the risk who applies vaseline on motherboards and uses them only for ln2 purposes. i suppose this couldve happened not 100% sure. When i removed the cpu from the socket, the pins was blacken and the heads was already missing could be rather fell in the socket or just simply burn away. i did not seen any reason not to try the board since it should start without any contact on these pins. After this mobo was cleaned, repaired and back to life. end of story.

Edited by Achill3uS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Achill3uS said:

Lol try to tell an overclocker what not worth the risk who applies vaseline on motherboards

Well I wasnt even trying to do that in the first place. My message was not intended for any such overclockers. It was intended for all the regular folk who own these publicly available OC Formula overclocking motherboards, who come here and keep asking about which pads to short / isolate. Why isolate them? And you know, 'why bother' or 'oh it's too hard and difficult to do that bit' etc. Well the only reason I bothered to comment about it in the first place was because you can't replace an LGA socket very easily..

And we are also talking about how hard to get hold of the MOCF specifically, these days. It's a pretty rare board now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dreamcat4 said:

Well I wasnt even trying to do that in the first place. My message was not intended for any such overclockers. It was intended for all the regular folk who own these publicly available OC Formula overclocking motherboards, who come here and keep asking about which pads to short / isolate. Why isolate them? And you know, 'why bother' or 'oh it's too hard and difficult to do that bit' etc. Well the only reason I bothered to comment about it in the first place was because you can't replace an LGA socket very easily..

And we are also talking about how hard to get hold of the MOCF specifically, these days. It's a pretty rare board now.

agree. why you should burn the pins, because you are too lazy to cover them ? i want to keep my board in 100% condition. not 99% with burned pins if it is not necessary. and i am one of the xoc guys ;)

Edited by Gigelz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrators

Tried booting a G.Skill TridentZ 4000c18 kit I bought of Egay at 4133 12-11 for a waza test - after several fails I swapped sticks because the kit easily did 4250 on Apex, the system booted and just shut down.Now doesn´t power on anymore, even after resting 12 hours without BIOS battery and reinserting cpu etc. Game over

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3