HWBOT Community Forums

ASRock z170 MOCF lives on Coffee Lake Mods

Hi, just to double check:

if I do the motherboard hardmod (Z170M OCF) and connect "T_SKT_OCC" to ground (soldering)

THEN

NO need for bridging the CPU too (AC35-AB35)?!

AND independent from the way of  "T_SKT_OCC" grounding:

NO isolating needed (AJ30/AK27)?! as they are connected different on the Board (MOCF) other then OCF were the "burn"

Edited by the_patchelor

52 minutes ago, the_patchelor said:

Really? Saw some User reporting it will work fine without isolating on MOCF. Yea may better not to risk...

I know of 5 mocf with burnt pins, 2 are mine. Still work fine after but if you care about keeping your socket pristine for resale or whatever, then you need to isolate.

Basically the first time you boot with a coffee chip it smokes the pins off then they don't touch so it doesn't matter after that.

14 hours ago, the_patchelor said:

Hi, just to double check:

if I do the motherboard hardmod (Z170M OCF) and connect "T_SKT_OCC" to ground (soldering)

THEN

NO need for bridging the CPU too (AC35-AB35)?!

AND independent from the way of  "T_SKT_OCC" grounding:

NO isolating needed (AJ30/AK27)?! as they are connected different on the Board (MOCF) other then OCF were the "burn"

I didn't isolate AJ30 / AK27 and burned the two pins (MOCF). Btw motherboard is working fine with 8700k, 8600k and also kaby 7350k and sky 6320

Edited by superpatodonaldo

On 8/23/2018 at 6:10 AM, superpatodonaldo said:

I didn't isolate AJ30 / AK27 and burned the two pins (MOCF). Btw motherboard is working fine with 8700k, 8600k and also kaby 7350k and sky 6320

yeah my ATX OCF got burnt as well but it still works fine with both kaby and coffee. 

yes I was thinking to use it first, but it was looking for the shortest possible wire routing :)

some other issue... I'm trying to get 2x16GB Sticks (Kit: F4-4000C19D-32GTZKK) working but, can't get higher than 3600.

I had already to raise VCCIO to 1.250v and have to use a lower VCCSA 1.110v to get Karhu RAM Test runing and not stopping after a a few % coverage.

I know that 16GB Sticks are tricky but I hope that at some point I can run them on 4000.... may not on the MOCF ?

Anyone who has experience with 32GB on MOCF?

Edited by the_patchelor

Hi, i have a problem and need your help please.

When i start my PC (MOCF, 8700k, Bios 7.51e, speedshift enable, Win 10 Pro) speedshift  doesn't work. I open HWINFO and the speedshift icon is red not green.

After a reboot everything works as it should, the CPU clocks down and the speedshift icon is green.

Does anyone have similar problem with speedshift or can try it and report?

Edited by Wheelchair

Does the new bios(7.51e) for Z170 mocf support samsung 21300 ram? I bought this because asrock advertised it could support up to 3833Mhz, but it doesn't work on Z170 extreme7, so I had to mix it with 17000 ram to clock it down and work. And could someone check if this bios is modded correctly? I made this myself for Z170 extreme7+ and 8600k was supposed to arrive yesterday but it didn't. I'm dying to find out if it works or not. Base bios is 7.40.

microcode_done.rom

So, I recently purchased everything I need to try LN2 for the first time (including a storage container that cost $700 - WTF?) and for the first time in a long time I found myself with no motherboard to plug some CPUs into (either given away to family members, used in my own work/play system or had been fried in some other endeavor) and went to Newegg and started perusing and remembered this thread and sure though I found a new one for $120 which seems like a steal and a lot cheaper than even an open box Z270, so ya - thanks for this thread! I purchased a high quality conductive pen for the 8700K, too.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:56 AM, GeorgeStorm said:

You mean a dewar for 700usd?

Also guessing you found the non M version for 120usd? As otherwise that was a ridiculous steal!

Yes, the dewar was 700 USD. Made by International Cryogenics, INC. That got me 10L - which is small. Mind you, I went on Amazon and it looks like this particular vendor is really expensive. I have no idea why - but I'm also probably derailing this thread but please feel free to send me a private message guiding me out of stupidity. I saw on another thread somewhere that Splave has a 50L and 35L dewar and that got him something like 6 hours of benching. Did he really drop $3,000 on just the containers? Seems like the major costs for LN2 are all upfront because  the LN2 is cheap where I'm at - $3.00/liter - at least I think that is cheap.

In regard to the non-M version - I have no idea what that means. Here is what arrived the other day - tell me if I got a good deal?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157649

$127.00

2 hours ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

Actually, George - if we had both been paying attention we might have noticed a few posts back this:

So looks like I get a good deal ? Still don't know what a "non M version" is so please enlighten me.

The M version is Z170M oc formula (Micro)

That is much much better board for OC and LN2 then the regular one (No Micro)

So I got the wrong board is that what I'm hearing? The link above that everyone is saying was a good deal - that linked to the non-M version, too but in reality it also means no one would actually buy that board?

This non-micro formfactor board that I now have out on my table - it's not the Asrock board that everyone was doing 12-12-12-28 back when it wasn't so fashionable?

Jesus Christ. The marketing departments of these mobo companies need to help us poor customers out a little - I'm getting tired of figuring out if I need the new Asus Maximus Rampage Roadrage Formula One Nascar Super Fly Jimmy Snuka Off the Top Rope Camel Clutch Extreme XXXV.I with RGB+ lighting - or - wait - is it the same board but the Gaming line? Or wait a sec... I need the ROG version which is the same name but instead of the Extreme it is the Macho Man Randy Savage OC variant but only the one which is ATX and not the E-ATX version - unless it is v1.1 of the board then it is ok to get the E-ATX version - just make sure it's the one manufactured in Mongolia because the others don't have the solid gold mosfet with diamond dandruff sprinkled on them.

Just did a quick search of Newegg, Amazon and Ebay. Don't even see a Z170M version of this board. I did find it on ASRock's website with this lovely caption: "This model may not be sold worldwide. Please contact your local dealer for the availability of this model in your region."

Gonna assume this translates into "if you don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese or live at least close to Taiwan, China or Korea you'll need to go with Asus and get the Mini-Macho Man Romulus Formula XXX Strip Poker Maximus Humpback Edition v1.1"

Frack me in the goat bum.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll feel better when I realize that 10 liters of LN2 equals 5 minutes of benching and will have to shell out $2,800 to get the 50L dewar versions. You know what? Frack it. I'm going to cash in my 401k and build an LN2 Silo. Frack the little kid dewars - I'm going full grain alcohol silo complete with tracks so the train can stop in front of my house and refuel me. You gotta start thinking big people...

Anyways, I'm gonna go have a drink.

marco

• Like 2
  • Haha 1