Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums

ASRock z170 MOCF lives on Coffee Lake Mods


Recommended Posts

And just to be clear, can I even use the BIOS linked on the original post of this thread or does it require the M version of the board? I can just see myself not only buying the wrong board but then flashing it with the wrong BIOS because it is very important that if you are going to really frack yourself you need to do it all the way... not too much mind you - just enough to make yourself angry.

Edited by marco.is.not.80
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a bios here somewhere I believe for the non-M board, but not the one in the OP.

People normally buy used dewars off EBay/other members instead of buying new ones.

I think the non-M board tops out at 3866 12-12-12 1T, it can only do 4000 at 2T IIRC.

Edited by Noxinite
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bless you Noxinite for saving me from having to restore BIOS A from BIOS B.

Bless you George for gently saying in a real nice way that I'm an idiot for a) buying the wrong but not completely useless board and b) being the only retard who bought his dewar new. I appreciate your tactfulness in this matter. 😉

marco

PS: So... how does one know if a used dewar isn't slowly leaking? (beyond the fact that they are designed to breath I mean) Any stories of people overclocking at night and dead in the morning?

Edited by marco.is.not.80
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Kirche said:

Ya, but you'd need someone in Japan to order it for you and then ship it. I can't go to another countries Amazon and sign up with an American address unless someone knows something I don't.

RE: BIOS for the OC Formula Non-M version - I went through the entire thread and found every link to every BIOS that had been posted:

--- CUT HERE ---

https://www.dropbox.com/s/726j649rezlh70o/Z17MOCF7.51E_CFL.bin?dl=0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hvskCy4DWEEcQzInyh6ZfqwZNGBY4nhl

https://community.hwbot.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=968 (extreme 4?)

https://u16962776.ctfile.com/dir/16962776-27603440-584218/

http://picx.xfastest.com/nickshih/asrock/Z17MOCF7.51D_CFL.rar

http://picx.xfastest.com/nickshih/asrock/AFDSetup(v3.0.209.1).rar

http://picx.xfastest.com/nickshih/asrock/Z17OCF7.51A_CFL.rar

--- CUT HERE ---

The one you want if you are full retard like me is this:

http://picx.xfastest.com/nickshih/asrock/Z17OCF7.51A_CFL.rar

Yay! Thanks, Nick!

Marco

PS:

Ok, just to be really clear burning this BIOS:

http://picx.xfastest.com/nickshih/asrock/Z17OCF7.51A_CFL.rar

and shorting the top 2 and blocking the left 2 pins like this:

-704f2493a51166fd.png

is what I want, right? Sorry, just want to make sure I'm not missing something since it is pretty obvious that happens quite a bit in my life.

Edited by marco.is.not.80
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

Ya, but you'd need someone in Japan to order it for you and then ship it. I can't go to another countries Amazon and sign up with an American address unless someone knows something I don't.

My experience for finding rare boards like this and others is the best way is to watch ebay every day for a few months and also watch the sell forum here. Sometimes you will find people asking way too much for boards and you have to decide if you'll give them their asking or walk away and sometimes you'll see instabuy deals and hope your PM beats out someone else's. Craigslist can also be a surprising source sometimes too. That's how I got 2x sr-2's for $80 a piece. 

 

As for dewars typically buying used is best, but it has it's downsides. I found a decent deal at $280 shipped for a 35l dewar on ebay for example, what I didn't expect was that it'd smell like rotting bull semen and be full of old test tubes. So if you ever decide to get a second dewar used, do be wary of cattle farmers 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know way to wait for z170mocf that u have the Asus apex z270

u have here for that board olso mod bios that u can put the 8700K

and he make the same and even more a great score by LN2

all the purpose of that mod  board with 8700K is only for XP with Wazza on Superpi that's it!

If u don't need that option just buy Asus z370 Apex and u r good to go

Edited by gkmltd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

As for dewars typically buying used is best, but it has it's downsides. I found a decent deal at $280 shipped for a 35l dewar on ebay for example, what I didn't expect was that it'd smell like rotting bull semen and be full of old test tubes. So if you ever decide to get a second dewar used, do be wary of cattle farmers 😁

35L = $280 for you, 10L = $700 for me

For $420 savings I'll fry bull ball sacks  and eat them with my spaghetti. Thanks for the tip, gonna go on E-Bay right now and see if I can find one at that price even if it means grabbing it from Doctor DoLittle's Pet Cemetery and Animal Hospice.

40 minutes ago, gkmltd said:

I don't know way to wait for z170mocf that u have the Asus apex z270 

Although you are correct remember the reason I purchased the Asrock board was because it was $127 vs $240 for the Apex Z270.  That's a pretty big difference. Besides, after $700 for a 10L Dewar I was checking the furniture in my house for loose change. 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gkmltd said:

I don't know way to wait for z170mocf that u have the Asus apex z270

Some people avoid asus. I've yet to see an asus board that wasn't a chip murderer. Of course I'd still use Asus any day of the week over gigabyte as asus boards actually function. I don't have much of any experience with asrock but I can see why people would prefer it over asus. Also for those slightly less precious than previously locked XTU golds you need the MOCF for that extra 0.03% bclk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yosarianilives said:

Some people avoid asus. I've yet to see an asus board that wasn't a chip murderer. Of course I'd still use Asus any day of the week over gigabyte as asus boards actually function. I don't have much of any experience with asrock but I can see why people would prefer it over asus. Also for those slightly less precious than previously locked XTU golds you need the MOCF for that extra 0.03% bclk

I have the 2 board 

asrock bios much simple to work with on asus one

But u have in that forum so much information on the 2 board (OC water dice ln2) plus memory OC

U cant go wrong with that

Edited by gkmltd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

Ok, I've done everything except isolate the last two jumpers on the left side (from the picture a few posts up) - but I'm not wanting to try until someone can confirm for me that I need to do that or if it was for a specific motherboard? Sorry, I've read the thread three times now but not sure how that issue even came up.

Marco

On mine MOCF (but pretty sure for all z170-z270 mboard), if you don't isolate the two pins on the left you'll burn the corresponding socket pins.

by the way the mboard with those two socket pins burned works good with coffelake (8700k 8600k), kabylake (i3 7350k) skylake (i3 6320)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, superpatodonaldo said:

On mine MOCF (but pretty sure for all z170-z270 mboard), if you don't isolate the two pins on the left you'll burn the corresponding socket pins.

by the way the mboard with those two socket pins burned works good with coffelake (8700k 8600k), kabylake (i3 7350k) skylake (i3 6320)

objection 🙂

me and my friend have the MOCF board WITHOUT the insolation of the 2 pins and nothing burn out in our socket

After we talk with many of ppl here that have that board too most of them from USA we start to think that because the Volt diff (USA 110V = our 220V) our board didn't coz anything

Again not sure only speculation.

Edited by gkmltd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, gkmltd said:

objection 🙂

me and my friend have the MOCF board WITHOUT the insolation of the 2 pins and nothing burn out in our socket

After we talk with many of ppl here that have that board too most of them from USA we start to think that because the Volt diff (USA 110V = our 220V) our board didn't coz anything

Again not sure only speculation.

Once you're past the power supply, the difference in mains voltage should have no impact on the rest of the system.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since @NickShih isnt making a new BIOS for the ATX-Version of the Z170 OC Formula..

Is it hard or difficult to mod the latest BIOS (Z17OCF7.51A_CFL) to support the new 9700k/9900k-Series or even 8086k?

Also the Core selection fixing..

Maybe here is someone who could help us with a mod bios?

Edited by symerac
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2018 at 12:20 PM, marco.is.not.80 said:

35L = $280 for you, 10L = $700 for me

For $420 savings I'll fry bull ball sacks  and eat them with my spaghetti. Thanks for the tip, gonna go on E-Bay right now and see if I can find one at that price even if it means grabbing it from Doctor DoLittle's Pet Cemetery and Animal Hospice.

Although you are correct remember the reason I purchased the Asrock board was because it was $127 vs $240 for the Apex Z270.  That's a pretty big difference. Besides, after $700 for a 10L Dewar I was checking the furniture in my house for loose change. 😉

Where the heck can you get an MOCF for $127? Also used m9a boards are cheap on eBay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AutisticChris said:

Where the heck can you get an MOCF for $127? Also used m9a boards are cheap on eBay 

Newegg. Of course, I didn't know there was an "M" version and that was what this thread was all about. Apparently, it's still a good deal but definitely isn't going to perform like I had anticipated. No "12-12-12-28 @ 4000" so ya....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

Newegg. Of course, I didn't know there was an "M" version and that was what this thread was all about. Apparently, it's still a good deal but definitely isn't going to perform like I had anticipated. No "12-12-12-28 @ 4000" so ya....

Oh yeah, gotcha. I got a Maximus VIII Hero BNIB from eBay for $40 by messaging the seller with an offer. Heck of a deal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2018 at 9:56 PM, symerac said:

Since @NickShih isnt making a new BIOS for the ATX-Version of the Z170 OC Formula..

Is it hard or difficult to mod the latest BIOS (Z17OCF7.51A_CFL) to support the new 9700k/9900k-Series or even 8086k?

Also the Core selection fixing..

Maybe here is someone who could help us with a mod bios?

Adding the microcode, if missing, is an easy task.

Core selection fix is much more difficult. To change settings in bios is no problem, to add something is a much bigger problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, gkmltd said:

objection 🙂

me and my friend have the MOCF board WITHOUT the insolation of the 2 pins and nothing burn out in our socket

After we talk with many of ppl here that have that board too most of them from USA we start to think that because the Volt diff (USA 110V = our 220V) our board didn't coz anything

Again not sure only speculation.

so please upload a photo of your mocf socket :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 9/9/2018 at 1:40 AM, marco.is.not.80 said:

Newegg. Of course, I didn't know there was an "M" version and that was what this thread was all about. Apparently, it's still a good deal but definitely isn't going to perform like I had anticipated. No "12-12-12-28 @ 4000" so ya....

https://www.dospara.co.jp/5shopping/detail_parts.php?bg=1&br=21&sbr=1132&mkr=465&ic=437933&lf=0

This one's for about ~15700 yen ( 142 USD sans shipping ). I assume they have it as they don't say they don't have it. Prices look quite normal unlike the amazon one.

http://shop.tsukumo.co.jp/special/160812s/

~14000 yen ( 127 USD sans shipping ). It also looks like they may have it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kirche,

The price is great from both of those places but how can I order to USA address? I tried to use Google Translate to navigate the website but it completely blew up on me when I did that - and none of the links worked.

I'm guessing I'd have to know someone in Japan/Asia and order to their address and then have them send it to me, correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Kirche said:

 

https://www.dospara.co.jp/5shopping/detail_parts.php?bg=1&br=21&sbr=1132&mkr=465&ic=437933&lf=0

This one's for about ~15700 yen ( 142 USD sans shipping ). I assume they have it as they don't say they don't have it. Prices look quite normal unlike the amazon one.

http://shop.tsukumo.co.jp/special/160812s/

~14000 yen ( 127 USD sans shipping ). It also looks like they may have it.

Would any of them ship to the US?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...