HWBOT Community Forums

The official Old School is Best School Season 4 Round 3 thread

TASOS

1 hour ago, Mr.Scott said:

With some GFD's, yes.

For my experience: the best air cache is about 400mhz without overvolt. then with divisor 1/2 you reach 800mhz on the cpu, with 2/5 you reach 1000mhz on the cpu and with divider 1/3 1200mhz on the cpu. With the NEC cache, the most widespread is 370mhz about without overvolt and 385-390 with overvolt then with the cold it reaches 400-405. I have not tried, for lack of time, with an overvolt and cold the cache that makes 400mhz to air I will do it in the next days. This Pluto 800 I arrived late for the last cup on slot A, where unfortunately my Orion 950 died in an attempt to set 10.5 multiplier, always welding the resistances on the cartridge.
Summing up, I wanted to say that if you can not change the divider to 1/3 difficult to exceed 1ghz.

Unfortunately changes divider cache  through software unnecessaru in this case.

Edited by GRIFF

7 minutes ago, GRIFF said:

Summing up, I wanted to say that if you can not change the divider to 1/3 difficult to exceed 1ghz.

Sometimes not even then.  Matter of fact, most times. I have plenty of examples.

They do not scale with cold either. It makes almost no difference.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 1

@GRIFF

Can you please verify the exact settings used , with your cpu , in this round ?

Write down please , voltage , cache divider , multi.

Also for verification purposes (to complete as soon as possible) you can post the cpu pcb photographs now , and post later the photo of your plastic cover , when you find it.

Thanks

I answer you only because I have respect, even if the question of your investigation is not pleasant. I made a video quickly with SS where you see the CPU from on and I managed to make 1180mhz to the spi just because I used a power supply with the 3.3V not adjustable. If it's not good for you or mods, delete all my results from this competition. I'm here to have fun and not stress.

9 hours ago, TASOS said:

@GRIFF

Can you please verify the exact settings used , with your cpu , in this round ?

Write down please , voltage , cache divider , multi.

Also for verification purposes (to complete as soon as possible) you can post the cpu pcb photographs now , and post later the photo of your plastic cover , when you find it. 

Thanks

I don't understand, You think GRIFF is cheating? I don't think so.

39 minutes ago, GRIFF said:

I answer you only because I have respect, even if the question of your investigation is not pleasant. I made a video quickly with SS where you see the CPU from on and I managed to make 1180mhz to the spi just because I used a power supply with the 3.3V not adjustable. If it's not good for you or mods, delete all my results from this competition. I'm here to have fun and not stress.

You dont understand , and perhaps thats because of the English language we are using , and it's not our native language for both of us.

I did not questioned your results and your actual cpu speed.

Yes , you actually achieved that cpu speed and results.

I asked you to provide some specific screenshot , to make sure for the cpu , you used.

Your own screenshot , on 2k1 result is this , ok ?

http://hwbot.org/submission/3855155_

image_id_2018824.jpeg

Tell me how you managed 10x multi , without a resistor at R122 ?

Now this is one of your spi 1M results (which was originally declared as other cpu type ... and then edited to Pluto 800).

http://hwbot.org/submission/3854708_

As a pure coincidence that result had a 9.5x multi , which by pure luck matches your 950 Orion (but thats only a coincidence).

http://hwbot.org/submission/3550471_griff_superpi___1m_athlon_950_(orion_slot_a)_2min_19sec_941ms

Now , for your 800 pluto to get a 9.5X multi , means that you have moved for this result the following

R121 R122 R123 R124

R156 R157 R158

R3 R5 R6

Am i right ?

Lets sum up with some portion of humor.

You have overcome the cpu speed (using a Pluto Core) , of every known entry in various historic databases and my personal memories also.

You have overcome the well known minimal cold scaling of Pluto cores and you achieved a +50% @1200

You have reached the top binned Orion Core , overclocked speed area.

And i ask.

When you see a VW Beetle reaching a 200 mile top speed , and the owner says "it's on stock motor" .... then the first thing to ask ?

"pop up the hood"

That is exactly what i did in your case.

I am being skeptical with your results , and i asked to see the actual pcb of this 8th wonder of the world , Pluto 800.

Just two good res pictures , would do (front and back pcb)

That simple.

Your video is no good to me.

Gives me nothing of the clues i seek.

10 minutes ago, TASOS said:

Your video is no good to me.

Ok. Talk to moderators to eliminate my results.
PS: If you had another attitude I would have answered all the questions, but today's first message has clarified your position.

1 minute ago, GRIFF said:

Ok. Talk to moderators to eliminate my results.
PS: If you had another attitude I would have answered all the questions, but today's first message has clarified your position.

I dont have to talk to any moderator.

I am talking to you directly ... and i asked you a very simple thing.

It's in your hands to do it or not.

I found some old sources claiming that they got cores specced for 900 or even 950 MHz Out of cartridges rated as Low as 700 MHz, i myself cracked open my 650 and found a 700 inside...

So Griffs core probbably came from a Orion Wafer but got stamped as a Pluto, AMD seemed to Change their mind alot Back in the day.

Another example would be my 600 with a Argon Partnummer (on the cartridge) but a Pluto core...

Point beeing that AMD themselves didn't Care too much about the different cores, so why should we (AMDs lists both core types as Modell 2 btw)...

Edit: exept for tbird of course which has totaly different Layout internally and externally...

Edited by TAGG

1 hour ago, TAGG said:

I found some old sources claiming that they got cores specced for 900 or even 950 MHz Out of cartridges rated as Low as 700 MHz, i myself cracked open my 650 and found a 700 inside...

So Griffs core probbably came from a Orion Wafer but got stamped as a Pluto, AMD seemed to Change their mind alot Back in the day.

Another example would be my 600 with a Argon Partnummer (on the cartridge) but a Pluto core...

Point beeing that AMD themselves didn't Care too much about the different cores, so why should we (AMDs lists both core types as Modell 2 btw)...

Edit: exept for tbird of course which has totaly different Layout internally and externally...

I will write you my opinion and my personal knowledge , since you mentioned some facts about the Pluto cores.

Yes , many of the low rated Athlon models , have other cores soldered inside them.

I have personally seen with my eyes , cores marked us Pluto 700 and 750 , into 600 models (i have one of those).

I also have a Pluto 650 with A2 revision core , which is not logical since the A2 revision was introduced with the higher binned Pluto of 800 & 850 (mostly)

As a personal knowledge of that era (Athlon Slot A) , i know that the Pluto cores did have a top bench-able speed of 1000 to 1050.

Their scaling in cold temperatures was poor.

That max top speed at benches was extended further , with the introduce of the Orion cores , by an other 50 Mhz.

Consider at this point , that in our case , we are talking about a sample of Pluto 800 at +50% speed 

400Mhz is enormous for that cpu gen.

When @GRIFF submitted his results with a Pluto 800 , my first thoughts were , that his pcb had a downgraded Orion core.

ok , he got lucky (i thought).

But right after he published his 2k1 result , i noticed the absence of certain resistors on specific places.

Since he wrote by himself , that he doesnt own a GFD , i instantly got skeptical about it.

So the most logical thing , was to ask about it.

... and that's exactly what i did.

I asked him about the 10X multi issue from the screenshot ... never got a reply.

That is why i asked him the front and rear photo's of the cpu-pcb he used.

• Thanks 1

With your research you just wanted to show that I'm a cheater that used a cpu not allowed. That's exactly why I ignored all your photo questions and made the video showing that I have one (or more) cpu that I am able to get to 1200mhz. Everything else does not matter because I took pictures when I put cpu with 9.5 multiplier (done 3 times at different times). 

Also you have not even apologized for your wrong thoughts about me. 

I attach videos and photos of another 800 pluto (or orion 900) capable of reaching 1200mhz. See serial numbers.

20180518_205645.jpg

20180518_205538.jpg

9 hours ago, GRIFF said:

With your research you just wanted to show that I'm a cheater that used a cpu not allowed. That's exactly why I ignored all your photo questions and made the video showing that I have one (or more) cpu that I am able to get to 1200mhz. Everything else does not matter because I took pictures when I put cpu with 9.5 multiplier (done 3 times at different times). 

Also you have not even apologized for your wrong thoughts about me. 

I attach videos and photos of another 800 pluto (or orion 900) capable of reaching 1200mhz. See serial numbers.

20180518_205645.jpg

20180518_205538.jpg

Oh , so there are Orion cores soldered into Pluto models , after all ??? 

Who asked you , to present us , an other cpu (than the original 800 pluto ... the initial one) ?

You just confirmed yourself , in the most positive , the most emphatic way ... that you dont know the real meaning of PLUTO CORE.

My initial strong feeling about you , using an Orion core  , instead of a real Pluto , has proven more than true.

I dont know how many cpu's you have and i dont care anymore.

Still waiting for the original pictures and the plastic cover of the initial 800 pluto.

You could have provided the pictures asked by me in just 5 minutes.

But as you already wrote , you chose to ignored me.

You chose not to do that , by trying to change the subject in this thread ...

By answering by your own , that your Orion 950 was burnt , even though nobody asked you about it.

All you wanted was , to buy some time.

From now on , you are listed in my category of "grain of salt" people (Scotty is this written right ?)

Also you have to know , that it was not actually me , asking the extra proof.

It's the competition moderation team asking , they were informed from day 1 about it.

In very few words.

I will ask the moderation team , to request from you ... this 800 PLUTO , doing 1149 Mhz on Air (custom) http://hwbot.org/submission/3855542_

@Leeghoofd

To be sent , to replicate the result to :

@InfraRed (Bulgaria) or @Kotori (Japan) or @Strunkenbold (Germany) or @Stelaras (Greece).

Ohh and find that original plastic cover of the initial 800 Pluto.

When and if someone of the above trusted persons , verifies that your 800 Pluto , can run 1149 Mhz on Air (custom) , i will apologize to you in public.

.-

Watch the videos well. are different cpu one is 800 the other is 900 printed on the die. They also have different cache chips and obviously also the serial number. Repeating the result of 1150mhz to air I do not think it is possible for the outside temperatures. In those days it was +11 + 12 ° C, now there are 23-25. But I think 1100 should do, maybe more. I have not found the plastic cover yet, but I did not throw it away. So somewhere there is.
You can insert me in any list you want. For me the same. Now you only make me laugh))))
If AMD on my Pluto 800 has silk-screened 800 but using the core of the Orions, what should I do? Declare it as Orion or Pluto?

Does that mean i have to crack my Athlon 800 open because there is the chance that it has a orion core and I cheated without knowing???

I feel like these old platforms aren't useable for competitions on the bot, because there allways is drama...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TAGG said:

Does that mean i have to crack my Athlon 800 open because there is the chance that it has a orion core and I cheated without knowing???

I feel like these old platforms aren't useable for competitions on the bot, because there allways is drama...

A great statement. 

In this case you are a cheater)))) In good faith though, because you do not know it.

Edited by GRIFF